Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tenor Freak
    • Dec 2010

David S. Ware Quartet with Matthew Shipp (p), William Parker (b) and Guillermo E. Brown (d) - BalladWare. With <thanks> again to Bluesnik and his Revox for the CD.
    Last edited by Tenor Freak; 03-11-23, 20:39.
    all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

• Joseph K
      Banned
      • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Tenor Freak View Post
      Tony Bianco (d), Paul Dunmall (ts), Simon Picard (ts) - Utoma Trio
      Spinning here now...

Comment

• Joseph K
        Banned
        • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post

Spinning here now...
        Now the second track, 'Labyrinths'. This is a great album.

Comment

• Joseph K
          Banned
          • Oct 2017

And the third track, 'White Eagle' is sublime!

Comment

• Joseph K
            Banned
            • Oct 2017

It's that fortnightly Saturday where I change my bedsheets and listen to the first disk of Bitches Brew. It really is something else - it seems to express in a unique way profound mysteries. Its expressivity is such that normal categories of thinking and feeling dissolve and become transcendent. It is mind-opening and visionary, simultaneously rarefied and earthy, and philosophical in a cosmic way. Always enjoy rediscovering it, there are so many details and subtleties. (Of course, this applies to the second disk as well, though I don't listen to that quite as much).

Comment

• Tenor Freak
              • Dec 2010

Be sure to check out my Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/SteelyDanCoversBig band jazz instrumental cover of Steely Dan's "Negative Girl" (on their "Tw...
              all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

• Joseph K
                Banned
                • Oct 2017

As mentioned on the jazz purchases thread, yesterday I bought Paul Dunmall's Bright Light A Joyous Celebration, in both download and, I admit, CD form, after having listened to the first track. Now I'm listening to the second tune. It's great.

Comment

• Jazzrook
                  • Mar 2011

Review & audio of Rodrigo Amado The Bridge - Beyond the Margins(Trost) with Alex von Schlippenbach, Ingebrigt Haker Flaten & Gerry Hemingway:

JR

Comment

• RichardB
                    Banned
                    • Nov 2021

Ars Memoria by Peter Evans' quartet Being & Becoming - https://peterevansmusic.bandcamp.com/album/ars-memoria

Beautiful and often jaw-dropping trumpet playing, as you'd expect, also some stellar vibraphone from Joel Ross. The rhythm section (Nick Jozwiak on bass and Michael Shekwoaga Ode on drums) has a strong taste of the Holland/DeJohnette combination on the opening track, but subsequently the quartet explores some strange and original directions. Very nice indeed.

Comment

• Joseph K
                      Banned
                      • Oct 2017

John McLaughlin, Alice Coltrane, Carlos Santana and others perform 'Angel of Sunlight'. This is the first time I have ever heard Alice Coltrane with McLaughlin...

(1) Video | Facebook

Comment

• Joseph K
                        Banned
                        • Oct 2017

Originally posted by RichardB View Post
                        Ars Memoria by Peter Evans' quartet Being & Becoming - https://peterevansmusic.bandcamp.com/album/ars-memoria

Beautiful and often jaw-dropping trumpet playing, as you'd expect, also some stellar vibraphone from Joel Ross. The rhythm section (Nick Jozwiak on bass and Michael Shekwoaga Ode on drums) has a strong taste of the Holland/DeJohnette combination on the opening track, but subsequently the quartet explores some strange and original directions. Very nice indeed.
                        I'm enjoying this. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Comment

• Joseph K
                          Banned
                          • Oct 2017

Thelonious Monk - Straight, No Chaser

As followers of the jazz purchases thread will know, I recently bought a box of Monk's music - 'Original Album Classics' comprising five of his albums on Columbia from the 60s. For some reason they're not chronologically ordered, so I've ended up listening to 1967's Straight, No Chaser first, rather than 1963's Monk's Dream. Great music though.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                            • Dec 2010

Archie Shepp Quartet, "Le Matin des Noire" (Impulse - New thing at Newport 1965)

This used to be played as intermission music at Ronnie's Old Place, late 60s, when Westbrook, Surman and Osborne etc etc played the all nighters. Good stuff.

Archie Shepp is apparently now in hospice care in Paris.

Comment

• Jazzrook
                              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
                              Archie Shepp Quartet, "Le Matin des Noire" (Impulse - New thing at Newport 1965)

This used to be played as intermission music at Ronnie's Old Place, late 60s, when Westbrook, Surman and Osborne etc etc played the all nighters. Good stuff.

Archie Shepp is apparently now in hospice care in Paris.

http://youtu.be/sRFCUWwGUks?feature=shared
                              Sad news about Archie Shepp and a wonderful track, BN.
                              I saw him only once, at JazzExpo '67(Hammersmith Odeon) with the Miles Davis Quintet on the bill.
                              Shepp's group started a mass exodus but I found their performance electrifying.
                              Here's the same Shepp band around the same time playing 'One For The Trane'.
                              Apparently, Shepp's tenor solo on 'The Shadow Of Your Smile' inspired the title of Frank Zappa's album 'Hot Rats'!

Archie Shepp, Life at the Donaueschingen Music Festival, 1967, "One for the Trane", part two1 - One For The Trane, Part I 22:00 2 - One For The Trane, Part...

JR

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                                • Dec 2010

That's great 👍

Shepp and Mal Waldron in 2002, "Left Alone" (Left Alone Revisited). For someone who was considered ferocious etc in the 1960's, he became a hugely sensitive player later when required and the mood took. And the technique itself was hard worked upon to do it. Quite a legacy.

Comment

Working...
                                X