Comment

• Joseph K
      Banned
      • Oct 2017

Miles Davis & Milt Jackson - Quintet/Sextet

Comment

• elmo
        • Nov 2010

Charlie Haden and Hampton Hawes playing Ornette's composition 'The Turnaround' from the album "The Golden Number"

elmo

Comment

• Jazzrook
          • Mar 2011

Miles Davis with Sonny Rollins, Jackie McLean, Walter Bishop Jr., Tommy Potter & Art Blakey playing 'Bluing' in 1951 from the album 'Dig':

Track taken from the Miles Davis ft. Sonny Rollins album Dig (1956). Sonny Rollins is an American jazz tenor saxophonist who is widely recognized as one of t...

JR

Comment

• Joseph K
            Banned
            • Oct 2017

Miles Davis - The New Miles Davis Quintet

Comment

• Joseph K
              Banned
              • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
              Miles Davis - The New Miles Davis Quintet
              ... especially great is Red Garland's solo on 'S'posin' -

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

... especially great is Red Garland's solo on 'S'posin' -

And if you listen carefully (he said condescendingly!!!) listen out for how by accenting the highest pitches in his sequences louder than the rest - a trait a few pianists of the time picked up from Lennie Tristano, viz his monodic 1955 "Line Up" solo below - (which incidentally Herbie Hancock later re-modelled many of his Miles Smiles solos on) - a sense of ongoing buoyancy is maintained by drawing attention away from the downbeat - conventionally the "natural" emphasis point in the bar.

Strangely, the score does not indicate the accents:

Access the PDF here: https://tinyurl.com/3oyom78yPatreon: http://www.patreon.com/michaelluckeWebsite: https://www.michaelluckemusic.comTo request a commissio...

Last edited by Serial_Apologist; 06-09-23, 16:21.

Comment

• Joseph K
                  Banned
                  • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

And if you listen carefully (he said condescendingly!!!) listen out for how by accenting the highest pitches in his sequences louder than the rest - a trait a few pianists of the time picked up from Lennie Tristano, viz his monodic 1955 "Line Up" solo below - (which incidentally Herbie Hancock later re-modelled many of his Miles Smiles solos on) - a sense of ongoing buoyancy is maintained by drawing attention away from the downbeat - conventionally the "natural" emphasis point in the bar.

Strangely, the score does not indicate the accents:

Access the PDF here: https://tinyurl.com/3oyom78yPatreon: http://www.patreon.com/michaelluckeWebsite: https://www.michaelluckemusic.comTo request a commissio...

Yes, SA, it was exactly Red's phrasing/articulation/use of accents that impressed me about it, and reminded me of later pianists (though probably it's a feature of Bud Powell's playing too). However, I didn't know of Tristano's solo, nor obviously that Herbie Hancock modelled his solos on Miles Smiles on it, so thanks for introducing me that. Accents tend not to be a feature in jazz transcriptions... I remember how nonplussed I was as a teenager when I first saw a jazz transcription - just reams of quavers!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Yes, SA, it was exactly Red's phrasing/articulation/use of accents that impressed me about it, and reminded me of later pianists (though probably it's a feature of Bud Powell's playing too). However, I didn't know of Tristano's solo, nor obviously that Herbie Hancock modelled his solos on Miles Smiles on it, so thanks for introducing me that. Accents tend not to be a feature in jazz transcriptions... I remember how nonplussed I was as a teenager when I first saw a jazz transcription - just reams of quavers!
                    And transcriptions cannot possibly capture the sometimes tiny nuances that distinguish jazz playing from classical which make it swing - although I did once read that classical pianists also tend to play slightly off the beat, often without intending to! I once asked the Dutch keyboard virtuoso Jasper van t'Hof what his favourite jazz piano was, and he said without hesitation, "Those single line solos Herbie plays on 'Miles Smiles'". I noticed after posting earlier than someone else also observed the similarities with the Tristano in the comments to that clip.

Comment

• Joseph K
                      Banned
                      • Oct 2017

And transcriptions cannot possibly capture the sometimes tiny nuances that distinguish jazz playing from classical which make it swing - although I did once read that classical pianists also tend to play slightly off the beat, often without intending to! I once asked the Dutch keyboard virtuoso Jasper van t'Hof what his favourite jazz piano was, and he said without hesitation, "Those single line solos Herbie plays on 'Miles Smiles'". I noticed after posting earlier than someone else also observed the similarities with the Tristano in the comments to that clip.

Comment

• Joseph K
                        Banned
                        • Oct 2017

Feeling very happy - someone over on the Jazz Guitar Forum just introduced me to this, whose existence I wasn't aware of! -

John Coltrane Quartet - Impressions (Half Note 1965) - YouTube

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Feeling very happy - someone over on the Jazz Guitar Forum just introduced me to this, whose existence I wasn't aware of! -

I hadn't realised Trane performed Impressions ever again in the aftermath of Love Supreme, so greatly looking forward to listening to this tomorrow. Thanks for posting, JK.

Comment

• Joseph K
                            Banned
                            • Oct 2017

I hadn't realised Trane performed Impressions ever again in the aftermath of Love Supreme, so greatly looking forward to listening to this tomorrow. Thanks for posting, JK.
                            You're welcome. As far as I'm aware this is the last time he played and recorded 'Impressions' - it's a wonderful version imbued with mysticism. I've known it for some years since it was on a CD with the live A Love Supreme also recorded in France, 1965, which I knew and loved for years before I acquired the studio version -

Comment

• Joseph K
                              Banned
                              • Oct 2017

Miles Davis - Steamin'

Comment

• Jazzrook
                                • Mar 2011

The 1965 Half Note 'Impressions' also appeared on a 1982 LP 'Reflections'(Audio Fidelity AFEMP 1041) along with two other tracks:

JR

Comment

Working...
                                X