Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BLUESNIK'S REVOX
    • Dec 2010

Sonny Stitt Qrt , "Smooth Sailing" a live CD, I think Chicago 1982 with local trio providing excellent support. Few details of this but Stitt is certainly not coasting, he's mostly on alto, and playing wonderfully. Sound is OK for live.The opener , "Autumn in New York" is a good example...

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
      • Dec 2010

*Stitt plays his Varitone on track 2, just noticed!

Comment

• Jazzrook
        • Mar 2011

Howlin' Wolf's 1964 version of Johnny Temple's 1936 'Louise' with great guitar from Hubert Sumlin:

Chester Arthur Burnett (June 10, 1910 -- January 10, 1976), known as Howlin' Wolf, was an influential American blues singer, guitarist and harmonica player.W...

JR

Comment

• Joseph K
          Banned
          • Oct 2017

I am back home now and giving this a spin:

Comment

• Joseph K
            Banned
            • Oct 2017

... and then I remembered I actually had a parcel waiting for me when I got home: Touchin' On Trane by Charles Gayle on tenor saxophone, William Parker on double bass and Rashied Ali on drums. Pretty good so far.

Comment

• elmo
              • Nov 2010

Keith Jarrett, Gary Peacock, Jack De Johnette playing 'Five Brothers' from the "Out of Towners" album on ECM

elmo

Comment

• elmo
                • Nov 2010

Lester Young 'Ad Lib Blues' with Oscar Peterson, Barney Kessel, Ray Brown, J C Heard - superb Prez

elmo

Comment

• elmo
                  • Nov 2010

A Joe Castro jam session from 1956 with lovely long Lucky Thompson solo on 'Lester leaps in' also Zoot Sims, Oscar Pettiford, Joe Castro, Ron Jefferson

elmo

Comment

• Joseph K
                    Banned
                    • Oct 2017

Earlier - Miles Davis - Cookin' At The Plugged Nickel

Comment

• Joseph K
                      Banned
                      • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
                      ... and then I remembered I actually had a parcel waiting for me when I got home: Touchin' On Trane by Charles Gayle on tenor saxophone, William Parker on double bass and Rashied Ali on drums. Pretty good so far.
                      Listening to the two remaining tracks of this.

Comment

• Joseph K
                        Banned
                        • Oct 2017

New Quartet: World Without by Paul Dunmall

▶︎ New Quartet: World Without | Paul Dunmall | 577 Records (bandcamp.com)

Comment

• Joseph K
                          Banned
                          • Oct 2017

Allan Holdsworth - Frankfurt '86

This is a wonderful album. I have all of these live Holdsworth albums on the record label Manifesto - except for the ones from 2010 onwards where unfortunately I think Holdsworth's playing started to decline in quality - they're wonderful, and it's interesting to hear how his playing and the vibe differs from band to band, era to era. For example in the one I'm listening to there is a more relaxed vibe, it's not as intense as some of his other live albums but Allan's tone is especially beautiful, more kind of out-in-space... I lack the know-how to describe in more objective terms his tone... It's awesome anyway.

Comment

• Joseph K
                            Banned
                            • Oct 2017

Andrew Hill - Black Fire

Comment

• Jazzrook
                              • Mar 2011

Moondog's 'Bird's Lament' from his eponymous 1969 album:

& Mr Scruff's 'Get A Move On':

Subscribe to Ninja Tune on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/ninja000?sub_confirmation=1Another outing for the fantastic "Get A Move On" track which has f...

JR

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                                • Dec 2010

Re the recent posting of a Brian Auger interview, I'd heard him talk about playing straight jazz piano in the early 60s pre organ, and winning a Melody Maker poll etc. But I certainly didn't recall any of that from the time.

Anyway, I found this on YouTube, part of a retrospective of his back catalogue. It's a trio track "Blues three four", very Bobby Timmons, from 1961. Its impressive as I don't know any British pianists of that time approaching this style as effectively. No idea who the bass and drums are.

Comment

Working...
                                X