X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gargoyle
    • Dec 2022

Coltrane - Live at the village Vanguard November 1961

An excellent remaster, far superior to the many tinny, constricted recording/masters from this venue.

Hi-Res 24/192 streaming from Qobuz

Comment

• Joseph K
      Banned
      • Oct 2017

As ever, this album. Recently 'Leo' in particular. This tune is absolute fire.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by elmo View Post
        Mike Osborne Trio - Mike Alto, Harry Miller Bass, Tony Levin Drums playing 'Nutty' rec Birmingham 1976 - Great musician sadly missed

elmo

Tony must've been depping for Louis Moholo on that particular occasion.

Comment

• Joseph K
          Banned
          • Oct 2017

Mike Stern - Trip

Comment

• Joseph K
            Banned
            • Oct 2017

Joe Henderson - So Near, So Far (Musings for Miles)

Comment

• Tenor Freak
              • Dec 2010

Atlantis - Wayne Shorter. Cover by Billy Dee Williams (aka Lando Calrissian). I recently learned that Wayne and Ana Maria sheltered Tina Turner in 1976 or thereabouts when she left Ike.
              all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

• Joseph K
                Banned
                • Oct 2017

'My Favorite Things' from the Olatunji Concert, John Coltrane.

Harrowing but great music. I am revelling in Pharoah Sanders' hysterical overblowing right now, wonder what my neighbours think...

Comment

• Tenor Freak
                  • Dec 2010

Unity - Larry Young w/ Joe Henderson (ts) Woody Shaw (tp) and Elvin Jones. One of my all-time favourites. All killer, no filler. Monk's Dream playing RN.

Comment

• Joseph K
                    Banned
                    • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Tenor Freak View Post
                    Unity - Larry Young w/ Joe Henderson (ts) Woody Shaw (tp) and Elvin Jones. One of my all-time favourites. All killer, no filler. Monk's Dream playing RN.
                    A great album. Funny to think 'Monk's Dream' is just a duet.

Comment

• elmo
                      • Nov 2010

Miles Davis, Sonny Rollins, Tommy Flanagan, Art Taylor and the young Paul Chambers playing "No Line" in March 1956.

I love this session, only 3 tracks of which this is one. PC's bass playing on this is absolutely wonderful - the jazz life claimed him at the age of 33, a great loss.

elmo

Comment

• elmo
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Tenor Freak View Post
                        Tenor I Agree with you, an essential album, but there is actually even more killer no filler - 4 alternates 2 versions of If and 1 Moontrane and 1 Beyond all limits unfortunately they are only available on a Japanese edition of the album but if you can track them down they are well worth it. I tried to find them on youtube but they don't seem to be on there.

elmo

Comment

• Jazzrook
                          • Mar 2011

Woody Shaw with Steve Turre, Azar Lawrence, Onaje Allan Gumbs, Buster Williams & Victor Lewis playing the title track from 'The Moontrane'(MUSE) in 1974:

JR

Comment

• Tenor Freak
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by elmo View Post
                            Tenor I Agree with you, an essential album, but there is actually even more killer no filler - 4 alternates 2 versions of If and 1 Moontrane and 1 Beyond all limits unfortunately they are only available on a Japanese edition of the album but if you can track them down they are well worth it. I tried to find them on youtube but they don't seem to be on there.

elmo
                            <thanks> elmo I did not realise that there were alternate takes...I would love to hear them

Comment

• Joseph K
                              Banned
                              • Oct 2017

I've been learning a tune a week and this week it's been 'Alice In Wonderland', inspired by this sublime version -

Comment

• teamsaint
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
                                I've been learning a tune a week and this week it's been 'Alice In Wonderland', inspired by this sublime version -

Nice. Hope you are getting on well with your practice, JK, and welcome back, I think ?

Currently listening to lots of Dave Brubeck, after rather catching the bug after a chance listening to Jazz Impressions of Japan.
                                Just bought a bunch of CDs in fact, to go with the 7 album set I got recently.
                                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Working...
                                X