• Joseph K
    Banned
    • Oct 2017

Weather Report - Black Market

Comment

• Tenor Freak
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
      I shall be going through all my Wayne Shorter recordings in chronological order over the next few days - I have a few!
      Same here, probably not in chrono order, mind...
      all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

• Joseph K
        Banned
        • Oct 2017

Paul Dunmall & Tony Bianco - Homage To John Coltrane

Listening to the first disk (the one that was missing) 'Ascension' to be precise. It's wonderful.

Comment

• Tenor Freak
          • Dec 2010

Someone at Columbiasony has uploaded a re-mastered version of Miles' Nefertiti onto the 'Tube so I am NP: Nefertiti by teh Miles Davis Quintet.

Oh, yes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2zU...D2aLZG0Zm18xsc

all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
            Paul Dunmall & Tony Bianco - Homage To John Coltrane

Listening to the first disk (the one that was missing) 'Ascension' to be precise. It's wonderful.
            I bought that double CD around the time I saw the band at the Vortex. In some ways I think Paul has come full circle in a kind of final creative chapter sort of way, his playing now more expansive than since the mid 80s and more audibly indebted to Coltrane, whom he described self-effacingly as "just a Coltrane imitator" back when I first knew him in the early 80s - the difference being that in the interim he has worked with direct Coltrane associates and their successors, whereas back then he was with local musicians. Very good musicians, mind - he has returned to playing and recording with some of that Bristol crowd.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
              • Dec 2010

This might interest Joseph. I was there a couple of weeks ago and found the workshop extremely impressed. It is located in Lapulapu City (a suburb of Cebu City) on Cebu in amongst a rather run down part of town which is in the throes if being redeveloped by the Chinese. The people were extremely friendly there and the prices for the handmade guitars were very reasonable - even for the top of the range guitars with pearl inlay on them. I bought my niece a decent uckele for under £50 including a case which struck me as a bargain. Hugely impressed by the Philippines although I could have done without the traffic in Manila and don't mention the airport! The trip to the Alegre Guaitar workshop was a highlight that was only eclipsed by an island hopping trip and a visit to the tarsier sanctuary.

It is quite interesting to listen to some of the Philippine guitar music which seems to bridge the gap between folk and classical music. Cebu is famous for it's guitars.

Comment

• Joseph K
                Banned
                • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
                Miles Davis & John Coltrane: The Final Tour, Bootleg vol. 6

Second disk of this.

Comment

• Joseph K
                  Banned
                  • Oct 2017

Wes Montgomery - Live At The Half Note

Happy 100th, Wes!

Comment

• elmo
                    • Nov 2010

Elmo Hope "B's a plenty"

One of Elmo's finest from his finest album

elmo

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                      • Dec 2010

I have been listening to a CD of Philppine guitar music which is quite intriguing as it is a whole new sphere of music for me about which I was unaware. The disc includes a range of compositions from the 20th century but throws particular light on the phenomenon of "Kundiman" songs which are effectively love songs which have their origins in the early 19th century . I have been fascinated by this as these songs seem to straddle "art songs", folk music and popular music. There re quite a few celebrated composers in this oeuvre and I have been fascinated by Ncanor Abelardo - not only because one of the songs on the disc is familiar enough for my partner to sing along to but also because he composed numerous classical works including a oiano concerto and a nocturne which refracts Chopin through the lens of popular Spanish / Philippine song. He was prolific during the 1920s and 30s but died young due to alcoholism. You can read about Abelardo here....

This music is indebted to Chopin but Abelardo put his own spin on things.

Shame that he is ignored in Europe whereas he is something of a national hero in the Philippines.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                        • Dec 2010

Antoher Kundiman song. This reminds me a bit of Albeniz....

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                          • Dec 2010

In the interests of balance, here is a pop song that I find to be something of an earworm. I was listening to this a lot of holiday....

Comment

• Jazzrook
                            • Mar 2011

Charles McPherson, Barry Harris, Sam Jones & Larry Williams playing 'Bouncing With Bud', live in Tokyo, 1976:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

JR

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                              • Dec 2010

Quite surprised to find Nat King Cole singing this song...

This is another Philippine "standard" but "Dahil sa Iyo" was written by Mike Valarde in 1938. I had originally believed that is was written by Abelardo but this is not the case. The NKC version is someone edited. I have a solo guitar version of this song which tends to be more "classical" in it's approach yet it is obviously familiar enough for my partner to sing along to it as she is familiar with the words - even if they are the ones in Tagalog.

I had not been aware that there was this tradition of popular music in the Philippines which has it's origins in the 1800s with the likes of Francisco Santiago.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                                • Dec 2010

Reinterpreted as a jazz ballad by PH jazz trio. Unfamiliar with these musicians who seem like a local trio as their timing is quite a bit off during the improvisation. "Dahil sa iyo" does deserve a decent intepretation.

Not aware of too many jazz musicians from PH other than Fred Elizalde and pianist who used to play with Richie Cole. in the contemporary scene drummer Susie Ibarra and the saxphonist Jon Irabagon are of PH heritage.

Comment

Working...
                                X