Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jazzrook
    • Mar 2011

Cecil Taylor with Earl Griffith, Buell Neidlinger & Dennis Charles playing 'Toll' from the enthralling 1958 album 'Looking Ahead!'. I always think of this quartet as an avant garde MJQ and wish they'd made more recordings.
    The assistant at Dobell's gave me a quizzical look when I bought this album together with 'The Best of Little Walter' back in the 1960s!

Looking Ahead! (1959)Personnel:Cecil Taylor (Piano)Buell Neidlinger (Bass)Dennis Charles (Drums)Earl Griffith (Vibes)--Nat Hentoff (Producer)

JR

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
      Cecil Taylor with Earl Griffith, Buell Neidlinger & Dennis Charles playing 'Toll' from the enthralling 1958 album 'Looking Ahead!'. I always think of this quartet as an avant garde MJQ and wish they'd made more recordings.
      The assistant at Dobell's gave me a quizzical look when I bought this album together with 'The Best of Little Walter' back in the 1960s!

Looking Ahead! (1959)Personnel:Cecil Taylor (Piano)Buell Neidlinger (Bass)Dennis Charles (Drums)Earl Griffith (Vibes)--Nat Hentoff (Producer)

JR
      He was probably looking down at your shoes: one stuck in leg irons with "trad" thereon embossed, the other in a bucket hand painted "new whitewash"!

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
        • Dec 2010

Clark Terry, with Mr Monk, "Flugelin' the Blues", a track left off the original Riverside "In Orbit" album of 1958. Nicely ominous opening with Sam Jones and Philly Joe. Them's was the days...

Comment

• Jazzrook
          • Mar 2011

Sonny Rollins with J.J.Johnson, Thelonious Monk, Horace Silver, Paul Chambers & Art Blakey playing 'Misterioso' in 1957:

Provided to YouTube by Universal Music GroupMisterioso (Rudy Van Gelder Edition/1999 Remaster/24 Bit Masteringr) · Sonny RollinsVolume Two℗ 1999 Blue Note Re...

JR

Comment

• Joseph K
            Banned
            • Oct 2017

John Scofield - Time On My Hands

I love Sco's time-feel.

Comment

• Joseph K
              Banned
              • Oct 2017

Bud Powell - The Amazing Bud Powell vol. 1

Comment

• Jazzrook
                • Mar 2011

Bud Powell, Paul Chambers & Art Taylor playing 'Comin' Up' from his 1958 album 'The Scene Changes':

Personnel:Bud Powell – pianoPaul Chambers – bassArt Taylor – drumsReleased: 1959Recorded: December 29, 1958Studio: Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, NJLab...

JR

Comment

• elmo
                  • Nov 2010

Bud Powell, Sam Jones, Philly Joe Jones, 'Monopoly' from "Time Waits" - Bud showing elements of Elmo on this track. This and JR's "Scene Changes" track (above) are much superior to the contemporary Verve albums.

elmo

Comment

• Jazzrook
                    • Mar 2011

Coleman Hawkins with Bud Powell, Oscar Pettiford & Kenny Clarke playing 'Stuffy' at Essen J.F., in 1960:

Coleman Hawkins - tenor sax; Bud Powell - piano, Oscar Pettiford - bass; Kenny Clarke - drums; June 2, 1960, Essen Jazz Festival, Germany.

JR

Comment

• Stanfordian
                      • Dec 2010

'Workout' – Hank Mobley
                      with Grant Green, Wynton Kelly, Paul Chambers & Philly Joe Jones
                      Blue Note (rec. 1961)

Comment

• Joseph K
                        Banned
                        • Oct 2017

John McLaughlin - Devotion

Immortal classic.

Comment

• JasonPalmer
                          • Dec 2022

Duke Ellington - Jazz Greats - a cd I picked up from a charity shop....
                          Annoyingly listening to and commenting on radio 3...

Comment

• Joseph K
                            Banned
                            • Oct 2017

Last night - Hellborg/Lane/Selvaganesh et al. - Good People in Times of Evil

Now - Miles Davis - Cookin' At The Plugged Nickel

I still feel drained from the weekend's shenanigans, so am doing more listening than practising music today.

Comment

• JasonPalmer
                              • Dec 2022

Enjoyed j to z this morning, lots of interesting Nina Simone songs.
                              Annoyingly listening to and commenting on radio 3...

Comment

• Joseph K
                                Banned
                                • Oct 2017

Allan Holdsworth - Frankfurt '86

Comment

Working...
                                X