X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ian Thumwood
    • Dec 2010

Elmo

I have got about halfway through listening to Alan Ferber's "Roots & transitions" which sees him return to the nonet format once more. I believe that the composition "Flow" win a Grammy for the best instrumental arrangement this year. The line up doesn't include any names that are familiar yet I am absolutely staggered by the brilliance of this record. It is a cycle of compositions which Ferber explains in the liner notes all stem from the same motif which is then developed. This isn't at all apparent although these is a cohesive quality about the way the compositions follow on from each other.

Although Alan Ferber is probably most familiar as one of the "go to" trombonists in the jazz scene and has also worked with the likes of Travis Sullivan and David Binney, the work he has produced under his own name is terrific. An earlier big band album was highly imaginative whereas his nonet + strings project was probably the most successful use of a string section in jazz that I am aware of as they were effectively employed to play jazz. This new disc staggers me because the line up with includes 3 reeds, trumpet, trombone, electric guitar, piano, bass and drums sounds like a larger ensemble. The quality of writing is pretty amazing and head and shoulders above a lot of the compositional work that seems to get recorded these days.

Given your enthusiasm for the Monkestra I think that you will find Ferber's works fascinating. For me, he is one of the best arrangers in jazz at the moment and I would have to say probably the best writer for this kind of sized ensemble that I have encountered for a long while. I find it difficult to understand why he isn't more widely known but if you miss the kind of contemporary ensemble writing of some of Michael Brecker's ensembles, this is one disc to look out for.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
      Ex-member
      • Sep 2013

Return to Forever - Celebration Suite

(is this music allowed on this thread? )

Comment

• Stunsworth
        • Nov 2010

Branford Marsalis: Royal Garden Blues - on LP.

Got my turntable back from being repaired yesterday so I'm playing a lot of vinyl just at the moment
        Steve

Comment

• gradus
          • Nov 2010

In 2 hours time, two altos plus rhythm section, messrs Kofi and Barnes at the Ipswich Jazz Club.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

78s etc

Just a nudge here towards the "Inter-War Recordings" Thread elsewhere on the Forum - I would imagine there's a few librariesful of essential Jazz that could be included there.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
              • Dec 2010

The Alan Ferber record would probably have been my top album of 2016 had I bought it earlier. I have been bowled over, not only by the playing , but the writing which I think is really sophisticated. It also helps that the themes are pretty memorable. It is a massive contrast from the Taylor Ho Bynum disc which features a slightly larger ensemble and features a number of "big hitting" soloists yet is let down by the minimal nature of the arrangements. For the last few weeks I have been listening to a lot of arrangers including Satoko Fujii and Gil Evans. Ferber fits comfortably in to the contemporary jazz mainstream without any attempt to appear to be modish or "on message." For me, the disc is ample proof that it is foolish to consider jazz a dying art or even to suggest that the element of free playing leads to the most radical and thought provoking jazz. It is very much contemporary and it steadfastly refuses to borrow any outside influence. The record is jazz at it's purest and most potent. If the tracks weren't so long, it would be an automatic for JRR but I am staggered at how someone this good can be so seriously over-looked despite all the reviews I have read been very favourable. If it is possible to judge someone's merits over the course of three extremely imaginative records, I would suggest that Alan Ferber is one of the best composers in jazz at this point in time. It makes a mockery of shite like Neil Cowley's trio being lauded - men and boys, etc, etc.

Comment

• elmo
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
                The Alan Ferber record would probably have been my top album of 2016 had I bought it earlier. I have been bowled over, not only by the playing , but the writing which I think is really sophisticated. It also helps that the themes are pretty memorable. It is a massive contrast from the Taylor Ho Bynum disc which features a slightly larger ensemble and features a number of "big hitting" soloists yet is let down by the minimal nature of the arrangements. For the last few weeks I have been listening to a lot of arrangers including Satoko Fujii and Gil Evans. Ferber fits comfortably in to the contemporary jazz mainstream without any attempt to appear to be modish or "on message." For me, the disc is ample proof that it is foolish to consider jazz a dying art or even to suggest that the element of free playing leads to the most radical and thought provoking jazz. It is very much contemporary and it steadfastly refuses to borrow any outside influence. The record is jazz at it's purest and most potent. If the tracks weren't so long, it would be an automatic for JRR but I am staggered at how someone this good can be so seriously over-looked despite all the reviews I have read been very favourable. If it is possible to judge someone's merits over the course of three extremely imaginative records, I would suggest that Alan Ferber is one of the best composers in jazz at this point in time. It makes a mockery of shite like Neil Cowley's trio being lauded - men and boys, etc, etc.
                Thanks Ian

I have listened to some of the compositions from " Roots and Transitions" on youtube - very impressive, good trombone player as well. I have ordered up the CD and will come back to you when I have listened to it.

elmo

Comment

• Jazzrook
                  • Mar 2011

Misha Mengelberg's album 'Four in One' from 2000 with Dave Douglas(trumpet); Brad Jones(bass) & Han Bennink(percussion).

Here's 'Hypochristmutreefuzz' which he also recorded with Eric Dolphy on 'Last Date'(1964):

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

JR

Comment

• Stunsworth
                    • Nov 2010

Working my way through the D'Agostini Jazz LP backlog. Currently playing Alfie by Sonny Rollins. There's a live Albert Ayler in the pile that I'm building up the courage to listen to.
                    Steve

Comment

• Stanfordian
                      • Dec 2010

Larry Young, Woody Shaw, Joe Henderson & Elvin Jones
                      'Unity'
                      Blue Note (1965)

Comment

• Stanfordian
                        • Dec 2010

Jimmy Smith with Blue Mitchell, Jackie McLean, Ike Quebec, Quintin Warren & Donald Bailey
                        'Open House'
                        Blue Note (1960)

I've got this out for this evening

Comment

• CGR
                          • Aug 2016

Greg Abate - "Bop City: Live At Birdland"

I love Greg Abate's sax playing.

Comment

• Jazzrook
                            • Mar 2011

Ornette Coleman Quintet live at the Hillcrest Club during October, 1958 a few months after his debut studio sessions for 'Something Else!':

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

JR

Comment

• Stanfordian
                              • Dec 2010

For tonight

Hank Mobley with Jackie McLean, Blue Mitchell, John Hicks, Bob Cranshaw & Billy Higgins
                              'Hi Voltage'
                              Blue Note (1967)

Comment

• Stanfordian
                                • Dec 2010

For tonight

Ben Webster with Richard 'Groove' Holmes, Les McCann, Lawrence 'Tricky' Lofton,
                                George Freeman, Herbie Lewis & Ron Jefferson
                                '
                                Groove' - The Complete Legendary 1961 Sessions
                                Pacific Jazz (1961)

Comment

Working...
                                X