• Joseph K
    Banned
    • Oct 2017

The Tony Williams Lifetime - Emergency!

Happy birthday Tony Williams!

Comment

• groovydavidii
      • Dec 2010

Listening to a decade-old (2011) the “Composer of the Week” Donald Macleod and Geoffrey Smith focus on Be-Bop of which I managed to CD-R record the second feature–the 'yin and yang' of Dizzy and Bird, the narrative and illustrative numbers compel frequent listening.

Comment

• Jazzrook
        • Mar 2011

Stan Tracey with Peter King, Dave Green & Bryan Spring playing 'The Green Kingspring of King Springreen' in 1969:

Provided to YouTube by IIP-DDSThe Green Kingspring of King Springreen · Stan TraceyWisdom in the Wings: Free an' One / The Seven Ages of Man℗ ReSteamed Recor...

JR

Comment

• Stanfordian
          • Dec 2010

‘Headin’ South’ - Horace Parlan
          with George Tucker, Al Harewood & Ray Barretto
          Blue Note (1960)

Comment

• Joseph K
            Banned
            • Oct 2017

Generally going on a youtube journey checking various guitarists' versions of All The Things You Are (Julian Lage, Mike Moreno, Peter Bernstein)...

Comment

• elmo
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
              Generally going on a youtube journey checking various guitarists' versions of All The Things You Are (Julian Lage, Mike Moreno, Peter Bernstein)...
              Here's a favourite guitarist of mine Grant Green's version of 'all the things' with Wilbur Ware and Al Harewood.

elmo

Comment

• Joseph K
                Banned
                • Oct 2017

Originally posted by elmo View Post
                Here's a favourite guitarist of mine Grant Green's version of 'all the things' with Wilbur Ware and Al Harewood.

elmo

Nice.

Comment

• Jazzrook
                  • Mar 2011

John Coltrane with Eric Dolphy, Garvin Bushell, McCoy Tyner, Jimmy Garrison, Reggie Workman, Ahmed Abdul-Malik & Elvin Jones playing 'India' at 'Village Vanguard', November 5, 1961:

Provided to YouTube by Universal Music GroupIndia (Live At The VIllage Vanguard/November 5,1961) · John Coltrane QuartetThe Complete 1961 Village Vanguard Re...

JR

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                    • Dec 2010

It has always amused me to see Garvin Bushell in the mix with Coltrane. His autobiography is a fascinating read and covers his career from the 1920s through to working with Coltrane in addition to working in Classical orchestras. It is a book I would thoroughly recommend as he was clearly extremely talented whilst also have an open mind with music even if you sense his heart was with earlier styles of jazz. The most fascinating elements in his book relates to his impressions of the band he worked with. There cannot be many musicians from his generation who made that musical journey from jazz's very early days through to Coltrane's modal explorations.

I have been listening to some of the Romanian composer George Enescu's early piano works and have been fascinated. I am not sure where you would place these as they seem to be of their own style even if the parallels with Bartok as worthwhile making as he too plundered folk music for inspiration. There was a comment by Richard last week which questioned the nature of improvisation and picking up this point whilst reading about Enescu is quite fascincating. A lot of his compositions were never actually written down but performed by memory by the composer. This accounts for the Sonata No. 2 for piano being missicng. It existed , just not on manuscript. The powers of recollection must have been staggering and it is clear that Enescu was one of last century's great musicians without referring to his composing. It did make me wonder just how much the part of improvisation much have played with his work. I was vaguely familiar with Enescu beforehand although not really appreciative of how good he was. He was a pupil of Faure and a mentor to Menhuin but his music seems popular with performers but neglected by the public. Even his piano music comes with a hefty price tag - probably a reflection of it's difficulty.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                      • Dec 2010

‘Somethin' Else’ ‎– Cannonball Adderley
                      with Miles Davis, Hank Jones, Sam Jones & Art Blakey
                      Blue Note (1958)

Comment

• Joseph K
                        Banned
                        • Oct 2017

John Coltrane - Olatunji Concert: The Last Live Recording

Trane's tone is somewhat harrowing on 'My Favorite Things'.

Comment

• Jazzrook
                          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
                          It has always amused me to see Garvin Bushell in the mix with Coltrane. His autobiography is a fascinating read and covers his career from the 1920s through to working with Coltrane in addition to working in Classical orchestras. It is a book I would thoroughly recommend as he was clearly extremely talented whilst also have an open mind with music even if you sense his heart was with earlier styles of jazz. The most fascinating elements in his book relates to his impressions of the band he worked with. There cannot be many musicians from his generation who made that musical journey from jazz's very early days through to Coltrane's modal explorations.

I have been listening to some of the Romanian composer George Enescu's early piano works and have been fascinated. I am not sure where you would place these as they seem to be of their own style even if the parallels with Bartok as worthwhile making as he too plundered folk music for inspiration. There was a comment by Richard last week which questioned the nature of improvisation and picking up this point whilst reading about Enescu is quite fascincating. A lot of his compositions were never actually written down but performed by memory by the composer. This accounts for the Sonata No. 2 for piano being missicng. It existed , just not on manuscript. The powers of recollection must have been staggering and it is clear that Enescu was one of last century's great musicians without referring to his composing. It did make me wonder just how much the part of improvisation much have played with his work. I was vaguely familiar with Enescu beforehand although not really appreciative of how good he was. He was a pupil of Faure and a mentor to Menhuin but his music seems popular with performers but neglected by the public. Even his piano music comes with a hefty price tag - probably a reflection of it's difficulty.
                          Will have to track down the Garvin Bushell autobiography and also investigate George Enescu, a new name to me.

JR

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
                            Will have to track down the Garvin Bushell autobiography and also investigate George Enescu, a new name to me.

JR
                            Enescu seems to have been extremely highly regarded by those who knew him. This is the piece that fascinates me and serves as a fascinating contrast to Debussy's "Sunked Cathedral" which does seem a little naive in comparison....

Comment

• Joseph K
                              Banned
                              • Oct 2017

Oz Noy - Riverside

Speaking of 'All The Things You Are', this fine album begins with this tune. Oz Noy is a great guitarist.

Provided to YouTube by Entertainment One U.S., LPAll The Things You Are · Oz Noy · Ugonna Okegwo · Ray MarchicaAll The Things You Are℗ 2022 Oz Noy, Ugonna Ok...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
                                Oz Noy - Riverside

Speaking of 'All The Things You Are', this fine album begins with this tune. Oz Noy is a great guitarist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bE4DpJtPCQU

There just has to be a pun on his name!

Comment

Working...
                                X