X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
    The one I've also come to highly regard is "Alfie" which I thought was a bit inconsequential, but now realise its merits.
    I've always felt the original with the British musicians best fitted the atmosphere of the film and regretted that the episodes were not gathered together for a compendium recording, the way it was done for Herbie Hancock's mostly brief tracks for* "Blow Up", though I believe contractual obligations rules that possibility out.

*Note not "from" - the music on some of the LP tracks was different from that in "Blow Up", some of which was omitted from the LP.

Comment

• Joseph K
      Banned
      • Oct 2017

Miles Davis - Pharaoh's Dance

Back home now and playing this quite loudly, sounding as good or better than ever.

Comment

• Padraig
        • Feb 2013

I listen to the Hot 5s a lot, but here is a new recording of an old favourite I found on you tube. The Chancellor should listen to find out how so many riches can be spread among so many players so satisfactorily.

Another early Armstrong with outstanding sound, courtesy of a transfer from Nick Dellow. This is the best sounding Hot Five record you'll ever hear! The soun...

Comment

• Jazzrook
          • Mar 2011

Mal Waldron with Steve Lacy, Manfred Schoof, Jimmy Woode & Makaya Ntshoko playing 'The Seagulls of Kristiansund' in Germany, 1977:

Mal Waldron- piano; Steve Lacy- soprano saxophone; Manfred Schoof- cornet; Jimmy Woode- bass; Makaya Ntshoko- drums. "One-Upmanship" (Enja, 1977)

JR

Comment

• elmo
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
            Some superb tenor playing from Yusef Lateef on 'Why Do I Love You?' with George Arvanitas, Reggie Workman & James Black recorded in 1965:

JR
            Yes, that really is a great solo and a fine band.

I have been trying to get Yusef's first Impulse label album 'Jazz round the world' for ages, I never had the LP and have never found it reissued on cd. The album is a kind of concept album perhaps not Yusef's finest because the tracks are short but the music is good and it's an excellent band - Richard Williams tpt, Hugh Lawson pno, Ernie Farrow Bass and Lex Humphries drums rec 1963. The album has just become available as part of cheap 4cd set called Yusef Lateef The Prestige and Impulse collection. Despite the title it's only 'some' of the Prestige and Impulse albums, still I have all the albums but bought it just to get that one album. Here is a track

elmo

Comment

• Jazzrook
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by elmo View Post
              Yes, that really is a great solo and a fine band.

I have been trying to get Yusef's first Impulse label album 'Jazz round the world' for ages, I never had the LP and have never found it reissued on cd. The album is a kind of concept album perhaps not Yusef's finest because the tracks are short but the music is good and it's an excellent band - Richard Williams tpt, Hugh Lawson pno, Ernie Farrow Bass and Lex Humphries drums rec 1963. The album has just become available as part of cheap 4cd set called Yusef Lateef The Prestige and Impulse collection. Despite the title it's only 'some' of the Prestige and Impulse albums, still I have all the albums but bought it just to get that one album. Here is a track

elmo
              I've been trying to track down 'Jazz 'Round The World' & '1984' for over 50 years!
              Will have to get that 4-CD set for those two albums. Thanks again, elmo.
              Here's Lateef's 'Water Pistol' from his great 1961 album 'Into Something!' with Elvin Jones:

From the album "Into something". Yusef Lateef (T sax, fl, oboe), Herman Wright (db), Elvin Jones (dr).

JR

Comment

• Stanfordian
                • Dec 2010

‘Whistle Stop’ – Kenny Dorham
                with Hank Mobley, Kenney Drew, Paul Chambers & Philly Joe Jones
                Blue Note (1961)

Comment

• Joseph K
                  Banned
                  • Oct 2017

'My Favorite Things' from Live At The Village Vanguard Again!, John Coltrane.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
                    'My Favorite Things' from Live At The Village Vanguard Again!, John Coltrane.
                    Can someone more familiar with Trane's post-"Ascension" recordings than me tell me if he plays the soprano on any others?

Comment

• Joseph K
                      Banned
                      • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                      Can someone more familiar with Trane's post-"Ascension" recordings than me tell me if he plays the soprano on any others?
                      Live in Japan. Probably other live recordings too, e.g. Newport 1966.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Live in Japan. Probably other live recordings too, e.g. Newport 1966.
                        Thanks!

Comment

• Joseph K
                          Banned
                          • Oct 2017

Sound quality isn't the greatest and some of 'My Favorite Things' is cut out, but here it is (I own the CD but am listening for convenience via the Tube...)

I do not own the rights to this music!Track list:My Favorite Things: 0:00 - 21:57Welcome (Part 1) - 21:58 - 30:53Welcome (Part 2) - 30:54 - 32:38Leo - 32:39 ...

Wish it had been officially recorded...

Comment

• elmo
                            • Nov 2010

Good news for lovers of the Jazz Messengers (LIKE ME) - An album of unissued tracks by the 1962 band.

Art Blakey Jazz Messengers 'Live in Concert Feb 1962 Steeplechase label released on Dec 9th

Wayne Shorter, Freddie Hubbard, Curtis Fuller, Cedar Walton, Jymie Merritt and Art

Moon River, Contemplation, Lester Left Town, Round Midnight, It's only a paper moon, Arabia and Blues March.
                            I really like Wayne's composition Lester Left Town and I don't recall a version a sextet version with Hubbard, looking forward this

The 1959 quintet version of 'Lester Left Town' with Wayne and Lee

elmo

Comment

• Jazzrook
                              • Mar 2011

An extraordinary Yusef Lateef tenor solo with Curtis Fuller, Lee Morgan, McCoy Tyner, Milt Hinton & Bobby Donaldson playing 'Judyful' from Fuller's 1960 album 'Images'.
                              This is available on a cheap 4-CD set featuring 8 Curtis Fuller albums.

Rare. Curtis Fuller SextetLee Morgan (tp) Curtis Fuller (tb) Yusef Lateef (ts) McCoy Tyner (p) Milt Hinton (b) Bobby Donaldson (d)NYC, June 7, 1960

JR

Comment

• Joseph K
                                Banned
                                • Oct 2017

Sound quality isn't the greatest and some of 'My Favorite Things' is cut out, but here it is (I own the CD but am listening for convenience via the Tube...)

I do not own the rights to this music!Track list:My Favorite Things: 0:00 - 21:57Welcome (Part 1) - 21:58 - 30:53Welcome (Part 2) - 30:54 - 32:38Leo - 32:39 ...

Wish it had been officially recorded...
                                Listening to the rest of this - 'Leo' - now after last night listening to 'Welcome'.

If you can forget about the less-than-great sound quality, this is an awesome album.

Comment

Working...
                                X