X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ian Thumwood
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
    Sonny Clark with John Coltrane, Donald Byrd, Curtis Fuller, Paul Chambers & Art Taylor playing 'News For Lulu' in 1957:

Sonny Clark - piano, John Coltrane - tenor saxophone, Donald Byrd - trumpet, Curtis Fuller - trombone, Paul Chambers - bass, Art Taylor - drumsRecorded Septe...

JR
    I have always been a fan of Sonny Clark but this album is probably is best after "Cool struttin'" in my opinion. There is a terrific solo by Curtis fuller on "Come rain or come shine." Clark's originals really sparkle of this record which deserves to be better known and features some of the best , early coltrane. I always think just how big Clark would have been on te festival circuit in the 1980s had he lived. For me, there are comparisons with Horace Silver although I think Clark was more of a sly composer and maybe lacked Silver's knack of orchestrating his music like a small big band. The handful of records he made are a delight and "Sonny's crib" should be better known.

Comment

• elmo
      • Nov 2010

One of my favourite Booker Little solos - 'Aggression' Live at the Five Spot Eric Dolphy, Mal Waldron, Richard Davis and Ed Blackwell. I love this band wonderful solos by all and superb team of Davis and Blackwell. Mal has to wrestle with a crap piano but still provides powerful accompaniment, such a shame this band could not have stayed together after the Five Spot gig it had so much potential.

elmo

Comment

• Stanfordian
        • Dec 2010

‘Two Souls in One’ – George Braith
        with Billy Gardner, Grant Green & Donald Bailey
        Blue Note (1963)

Comment

• Jazzrook
          • Mar 2011

Mal Waldron playing 'Soul Eyes' from 'Searching in Grenoble: The 1978 Solo Piano Concert':

Provided to YouTube by Virgin Music GroupSoul Eyes (Live) · Mal WaldronSearching in Grenoble : The 1978 Solo Piano Concert℗ 2022 Tompkins SquareReleased on: ...

JR

Comment

• elmo
            • Nov 2010

Wardell Gray and Erroll Garner playing 'Blue Lou' from Gene Norman's Just Jazz Concert 1947

elmo

Comment

• Jazzrook
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by elmo View Post
              Wardell Gray and Erroll Garner playing 'Blue Lou' from Gene Norman's Just Jazz Concert 1947

elmo
              Just ordered this album on the 'Giants Of Jazz' label for around £4! Thanks, elmo.

JR

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                • Dec 2010

Interesting curio...

Leo Gooden, Leo's Five - "Mop Water".

Gooden was the owner of the Bluenote Club in East St Louis in 1959. This was his house band, which included Fred Jackson (of Baby Face Willette et Al) on tenor and Hamiet Bluiett on baritone. The organist is Don Jones. I like this kind of stuff and it kicks along. Gooden also cut a one off "with strings" vocal album with Oliver Nelson, so must have had cash and connections. It was his club where Grant Green was discovered and then recommended to Bluenote....

Comment

• Jazzrook
                  • Mar 2011

Sonny Criss Quartet with Barry Harris, Leroy Vinnegar & Lenny McBrowne playing 'Angel Eyes' recorded in 1975 from 'Saturday Morning'(XANADU):

Sonny Criss Quartet - Angel Eyes (1975)Personnel: Sonny Criss (alto sax), Barry Harris (piano), Leroy Vinnegar (bass), Lenny McBrowne (drums)from the album '...

JR

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
                    Interesting curio...

Gooden was the owner of the Bluenote Club in East St Louis in 1959. This was his house band, which included Fred Jackson (of Baby Face Willette et Al) on tenor and Hamiet Bluiett on baritone. The organist is Don Jones. I like this kind of stuff and it kicks along. Gooden also cut a one off "with strings" vocal album with Oliver Nelson, so must have had cash and connections. It was his club where Grant Green was discovered and then recommended to Bluenote....

http://youtu.be/dvV3yG1I5Ak
                    Interesting to hear of Hamiet Bluiett appearing on a Blue Note at such an early date!

Comment

• Joseph K
                      Banned
                      • Oct 2017

Five Peace Band - Senor CS

John McLaughlin & Chick Corea, Five Peace Band Live, 2009.

Comment

• elmo
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
                        Interesting curio...

http://youtu.be/dvV3yG1I5Ak
                        I really liked that, all these good musicians that we never knew about. Here is Grant Greens tribute to Leo 'Gooden's Corner' with Sonny Clark, Sam Jones and Louis Hayes.

elmo

Comment

• elmo
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
                          Just ordered this album on the 'Giants Of Jazz' label for around £4! Thanks, elmo.

JR
                          Great stuff, glad it wasn't too hard on the pocket this time.

elmo

Comment

• elmo
                            • Nov 2010

Tubby Hayes in 1961 playing Trane's 'Moment's Notice' - roaring through the changes with amazing facility and Stan Tracey, Kenny Napper and Jackie Dougan
                            struggling to keep up.

elmo

Comment

• Joseph K
                              Banned
                              • Oct 2017

This morning -

Miles Davis - Sorcerer

Comment

• Jazzrook
                                • Mar 2011

Clifford Jordan with Sonny Red, Tommy Flanagan, Art Davis & Elvin Jones playing 'You're Driving Me Crazy' from the 1961 album 'A Story Tale':

Personnel: Clifford Jordan (ts); Sonny Red (as); Tommy Flanagan (p); Art Davis (b); Elvin Jones (d).Recorded in 1961

JR

Comment

Working...
                                X