Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jazzrook
    • Mar 2011

Bernt Rosengren with Krzysztof Komeda, Roman Dylag & Leszek Dudziak - soundtrack from Polanski's 1961 film 'Knife In The Water':

Artist: Bernt Rosengren With Komeda TrioAlbum: Crazy Girl (Jazz Jamboree – 1961 Nr 4)Year: 1961Genre: modal, hard bop, soundtrackLabel: Polskie Nagrania Muza...

JR

Comment

• Joseph K
      Banned
      • Oct 2017

Keith Tippett - Mujician

Recommended on another thread by S_A.

EuropaJazz Festival Le Mans 2004Keith Tippett pPaul Dunmall stPaul Rogers cbTony Levin dr

Comment

• Joseph K
        Banned
        • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
        Keith Tippett - Mujician

Recommended on another thread by S_A.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tNEkPq6YxA
        Proved to be most excellent. I am unfamiliar with Tippett but he's brilliant. And this kind of music gets to me - I think the amount of effort, both physical and intellectual to improvise like this (or improvise at all, at this level) is great...

Is that just a seven-string bass he's got or is there another name for it?

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
          From 1956, from a Prestige album flatly called, "Two Trumpets" - Art Farmer & Donald Byrd, one of the many sessions where Prestige rounded up who was available, paid them scale, and switched on the mikes, a really beautiful & favourite performance of "When your lover has gone" by Art Farmer. Barry Harris excellent piano...

AND...

Here's Ray Charles' classic take on it from 1959 (The Genius - Atlantic), with an always fine David Newman tenor solo, song arranged by Al Cohn...

AND just discovered that Ray's massive breakthrough seller, "Georgia on my mind" was itself arranged by Al Cohn. Hope he got a good deal. (Unlikely).
          Bluesnik

Al Cohn did a lot of work as a musical contractor during the 1950s and 60s and this is why his name pops up so often with regard to larger ensembles of that era. Accordinglly, not surprised that he often gets arranger credits.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Proved to be most excellent. I am unfamiliar with Tippett but he's brilliant. And this kind of music gets to me - I think the amount of effort, both physical and intellectual to improvise like this (or improvise at all, at this level) is great...

Is that just a seven-string bass he's got or is there another name for it?
            I really should check - the instrument is deep in my vaults somewhere - but it's a kind of bass viol which Paul had custom-made for himself.

Comment

• Joseph K
              Banned
              • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
              I really should check - the instrument is deep in my vaults somewhere - but it's a kind of bass viol which Paul had custom-made for himself.

Happy birthday, Serial Apologist!

Today I shall be spinning this, the one present I have opened so far today -

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                • Dec 2010

Ray Charles 1959, Atlantic records, "The Genius" album, "Come rain and come shine", trombone intro and arrangement, Bob Brookmeyer. An arrangement Ray kept in the book for years and for which BB was justly proud...

Comment

• Jazzrook
                  • Mar 2011

Tyrone Washington with Woody Shaw, James Spaulding, Kenny Barron, Reggie Workman & Joe Chambers playing 'Positive Path' recorded in 1967 from the BLUE NOTE album 'Natural Essence':

Tyrone Washington ‎– Natural Essence (Blue Note ‎– BST 84274) Italy 1968

JR

Comment

• elmo
                    • Nov 2010

Ray Charles Milt Jackson 'Blue Funk' from Soul Brothers with Skeeter Best, Oscar Pettiford and Connie Kay rec 1957

elmo

Comment

• Joseph K
                      Banned
                      • Oct 2017

Spinning the above Holdsworth live album now.

Comment

• Jazzrook
                        • Mar 2011

Lucky Thompson with Oscar Pettiford & Skeeter Best playing 'Body and Soul' in 1956:

JR

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Happy birthday, Serial Apologist!

Today I shall be spinning this, the one present I have opened so far today -

(I should mention that we've exchanged mutual acknowledgements elsewhere formally ).

Comment

• Jazzrook
                            • Mar 2011

Sonny Clark with John Coltrane, Donald Byrd, Curtis Fuller, Paul Chambers & Art Taylor playing 'News For Lulu' in 1957:

Sonny Clark - piano, John Coltrane - tenor saxophone, Donald Byrd - trumpet, Curtis Fuller - trombone, Paul Chambers - bass, Art Taylor - drumsRecorded Septe...

JR

Comment

• Joseph K
                              Banned
                              • Oct 2017

One tune I've been listening to most days recently is 'Leo' from Interstellar Space, via youtube, and I'm listening to it now. I know it's not actual Whirling Dervish music, but I like to imagine, or rather it inspires in me a feeling that I like to imagine is akin to Whirling Dervish music, though probably from another planet or something... in any case it's incredibly ecstatic, orgiastic and riotous and when Coltrane gets into 'sheets of sound' passages I can't help but think of some improbably fast Ninja whose ability with a sword - velocity and ferocity - is nonpareil. Can't help but being bowled over or knocked for six and then some by this visionary music, it is affirmative to a profound degree.

Well, youtube has moved on and I am now listening to 'One Down, One Up' from Newport 65, which is also incredibly awesome. Words really fail to capture the number of thoughts and feelings this music evokes for me, it really is transcendental.

Comment

• Jazzrook
                                • Mar 2011

Air: Henry Threadgill, Fred Hopkins & Steve McCall playing Jelly Roll Morton's 'King Porter Stomp' from the 1979 album 'Air Lore':

Provided to YouTube by Legacy RecordingsKing Porter Stomp · AirAir Lore℗ 1979 RCA Records, a division of Sony Music EntertainmentReleased on: 1979-06-06Compo...

JR

Comment

Working...
                                X