Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jazzrook
    • Mar 2011

Don Cherry with Carlos Ward, Mark Helias, Ed Blackwell & Nana Vasconcelos playing Ornette Coleman's 'Chopin Chopeen' live at Bracknell J.F., 1986:

Don Cherry,pocket trumpet,piano,vocals,doussn'gouni; Carlos Ward,alto saxophone, flute; Mark Helias,bass; Ed Blackwell,drums; Naná Vasconcelos,percussion,ber...

JR

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
      Don Cherry with Carlos Ward, Mark Helias, Ed Blackwell & Nana Vasconcelos playing Ornette Coleman's 'Chopin Chopeen' live at Bracknell J.F., 1986:

Don Cherry,pocket trumpet,piano,vocals,doussn'gouni; Carlos Ward,alto saxophone, flute; Mark Helias,bass; Ed Blackwell,drums; Naná Vasconcelos,percussion,ber...

JR
      Don Cherry's Nu - but they're wearing clothes, I hear you say!

Comment

• elmo
        • Nov 2010

Joe Albany, Warne Marsh, Bob Whitlock 'All the things you are' from the album 'The Right Combination' rec 1957

elmo

Comment

• Stanfordian
          • Dec 2010

‘Brown Sugar’ – Freddie Roach
          with Joe Henderson, Eddie Wright & Clarence Johnston
          Blue Note (1964)

Comment

• Jazzrook
            • Mar 2011

Herbie Nichols with Al McKibbon & Art Taylor playing 'Blue Chopsticks' in 1955:

Provided to YouTube by Universal Music GroupBlue Chopsticks · Herbie NicholsThe Prophetic Herbie Nichols Vol. 1℗ 1955 Blue Note RecordsReleased on: 1955-01-0...

JR

Comment

• Stanfordian
              • Dec 2010

‘Steppin' Out!’ – Harold Vick
              with Blue Mitchell, John Patton, Grant Green & Ben Dixon
              Blue Note (1963)

Comment

• elmo
                • Nov 2010

Joe Harriott quintet 'Live at the BBC' R&B Records live sessions from 1961, 1964 and 1966, 17 tracks with the likes of Shake Keane, Les Condon, Ian Carr, Mike Garrick, Pat Smyth, Coleridge Goode, Phil Seaman and Bobby Orr.

Very good Harriott on these tracks, I don't think these tracks have been issued previously. I am especially interested in the tracks that are live versions of the compositions that were recorded on the classic 'Free Form and Abstract' albums. Unfortunately, I can't find any of these tracks on Youtube as an example, but I can say purchase is a no brainer.......sorry JR

elmo

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by elmo View Post
                  Joe Harriott quintet 'Live at the BBC' R&B Records live sessions from 1961, 1964 and 1966, 17 tracks with the likes of Shake Keane, Les Condon, Ian Carr, Mike Garrick, Pat Smyth, Coleridge Goode, Phil Seaman and Bobby Orr.

Very good Harriott on these tracks, I don't think these tracks have been issued previously. I am especially interested in the tracks that are live versions of the compositions that were recorded on the classic 'Free Form and Abstract' albums. Unfortunately, I can't find any of these tracks on Youtube as an example, but I can say purchase is a no brainer.......sorry JR

elmo
                  I think they might have been - if I'm thinking of the same tracks, under a different CD title.

Comment

• Jazzrook
                    • Mar 2011

elmo
                    This 17-track, 80-minute Joe Harriott CD looks unmissable - another financial blow, elmo!
                    Here's The Joe Harriott Quintet with Kenny Wheeler, Pat Smythe, Ron Mathewson & Bill Eyden playing 'Shadow' in 1968 from the hard-to-find CD 'Trad Dads, Dirty Boppers and Free Fusioneers':

From the album: Various - Trad Dads, Dirty Boppers & Free FusioneersReel Recordings ‎– RR026Credits:Joe Harriott - Alto SaxKenny Wheeler - FlugelhornPat Smy...

JR

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                      • Dec 2010

There is a Joe Harriot "BBC" session track coming up on JRR this Sunday to mark the BBC 100th. It might be from me because I suggested Joe from a Charles Fox introduced program in the early 1960s which I heard and was enthused by. Time does fly!

If not mine, great anyway, but this is my shout.
                      "Variations on Monk" - Joe Harriot Quin, BBC/Gearbox remastered...http://youtu.be/a1WoIg-j-pA

Comment

• Stanfordian
                        • Dec 2010

‘Blue’s Moods’ – Blue Mitchell
                        with Wynton Kelly, Sam Jones & Philly Joe Jones
                        Riverside (1960)

Comment

• Stanfordian
                          • Dec 2010

‘Way Out West’ – Sonny Rollins
                          with Ray Brown & Shelly Manne
                          Contemporary (1957)

Comment

• Jazzrook
                            • Mar 2011

Art Blakey with John Coltrane, Donald Byrd, Walter Bishop Jr. & Wendell Marshall playing Coltrane's 'Pristine' recorded in New York, 1957:

Provided to YouTube by YouTube CSV2DDEXPristine · Art BlakeyArt Blakey Big Band (Remastered 2013)℗ Bethlehem RecordsReleased on: 1958-06-01Auto-generated by ...

JR

Comment

• elmo
                              • Nov 2010

'Frenzy' by the Savoy Sultans - This little band put the fear of God into the great bands that played the Savoy in the 30's and listening to this you can see why. Fine soloists like Sam Massenburg trumpet, Rudy 'Looney' Williams alto and Grachan Moncur Bass. The ensemble passages at the end of this track would swing you into bad health, the bassist by the way was the trombonist's dad.

elmo

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                                • Dec 2010

'Frenzy' by the Savoy Sultans - This little band put the fear of God into the great bands that played the Savoy in the 30's and listening to this you can see why. Fine soloists like Sam Massenburg trumpet, Rudy 'Looney' Williams alto and Grachan Moncur Bass. The ensemble passages at the end of this track would swing you into bad health, the bassist by the way was the trombonist's dad.

elmo
                                I wonder who Grachan Moncur II was?

Comment

Working...
                                X