Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jazzrook
    • Mar 2011

Booker Little with Don Friedman, Reggie Workman & Pete La Roca playing 'If I Should Lose You'.
    Booker was 23 when he recorded this during August, 1961 shortly before he died.

The mark of a great trumpeter is his ability to give a masterful ballad reading with both power and tenderness. Little fulfills that slot here with a quartet...

JR

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
      • Dec 2010

This may be of interest (and rarity). Compliments of Organissimo.

It's the Hank Bagby Soultet, recorded in NY in 1965. The interest to me is that Bagby (tenor sax) co led a group with Elmo Hope out on the West Coast in the late 50s. Interesting how these things intersect. The album "Opus One" (his only recording) is on Protone.
      No, no idea!

*Now I see more likely recorded in LA.
      Last edited by BLUESNIK'S REVOX; 15-09-22, 06:58.

Comment

• teamsaint
        • Nov 2010

Gil Evans

Into the Hot.

Seems marvellous to me, but what do I know ?

Edit, it seems that this isn't even by Gil Evans.
        Jazz.....Bloody Hell... as fergie might have said.....
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
          • Dec 2010

As a spin off from the Hank Bagby record above...

Here's Frank Zappa in 1961 eh? A recording of Take your clothes off and dance, straight bossa jazz, with Chuck Foster, the trumpet player on the Bagby date. Apparently this band was made up of hired studio players....

Comment

• Jazzrook
            • Mar 2011

Many thanks for the Hank Bagby post, BN - a completely new name to me.
            Also, the 1961 Frank Zappa!

JR

Comment

• Stanfordian
              • Dec 2010

‘Makin' Out’ – The John Wright Quartet
              John Wright with Eddie ‘Cat-Eye’ Williams, Wendell Marshall & Roy Brooks
              Prestige (1961)

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
                Many thanks for the Hank Bagby post, BN - a completely new name to me.
                Also, the 1961 Frank Zappa!

JR
                Seconded on all two!

Comment

• elmo
                  • Nov 2010

Lucky Thompson with a French group in 1956 with a nice 'Birth of the cool' type tune and orchestration - Lucky was a great tenor (and soprano) saxophone player.

elmo

Comment

• Stanfordian
                    • Dec 2010

‘Moanin'’ – Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers
                    Art Blakey with Lee Morgan, Benny Golson, Bobby Timmons & Jymie Merritt
                    Blue Note (1958)

Comment

• Jazzrook
                      • Mar 2011

Red Mitchell with Harold Land, Carmell Jones, Frank Strazzeri & Leon Petties playing 'Rosie's Spirit' from the 1961 album 'Hear Ye!!!!':

From the "Hear Ye!!!! Hear Ye!!!!" LP 1962• Tenor Saxophone – Harold Land • Trumpet – Carmell Jones • Piano – Frank Strazzeri • Bass – Red Mitchell • Drums –...

JR

Comment

• elmo
                        • Nov 2010

Red Mitchell with Harold Land, Carmell Jones, Frank Strazzeri & Leon Petties playing 'Rosie's Spirit' from the 1961 album 'Hear Ye!!!!':

From the "Hear Ye!!!! Hear Ye!!!!" LP 1962• Tenor Saxophone – Harold Land • Trumpet – Carmell Jones • Piano – Frank Strazzeri • Bass – Red Mitchell • Drums –...

JR
                        JR Great choice of album, Red Mitchell's Bass solo on this track made my day.

A track from the recent previously unissued Harold Land 'Westward Bound' album from the year later (1962) as 'Hear ye!!
                        'Vendetta' Harold Land, Carmell Jones, Buddy Montgomery, Monk Montgomery and Jimmy Lovelace. Rec The Penthouse Seattle 12/12/62

elmo

Comment

• Jazzrook
                          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by elmo View Post
                          JR Great choice of album, Red Mitchell's Bass solo on this track made my day.

A track from the recent previously unissued Harold Land 'Westward Bound' album from the year later (1962) as 'Hear ye!!
                          'Vendetta' Harold Land, Carmell Jones, Buddy Montgomery, Monk Montgomery and Jimmy Lovelace. Rec The Penthouse Seattle 12/12/62

elmo
                          Thanks elmo - you've prompted me to order a copy of Harold Land's 'Westward Bound'.
                          Here's another overlooked West Coaster, Horace Tapscott with Arthur Blythe, David Brown, Walter Savage Jr. & Everett Brown Jr. playing 'Your Child'.
                          It was recorded for Flying Dutchman in 1969 but the album has only recently been released:

Taken from the Horace Tapscott Quintet 'The Quintet'.Out Now - https://www.mrbongo.com/products/the-quintet-vinyl-lp-cdThis previously unreleased album by th...

JR

Comment

• elmo
                            • Nov 2010

Thanks elmo - you've prompted me to order a copy of Harold Land's 'Westward Bound'.
                            Here's another overlooked West Coaster, Horace Tapscott with Arthur Blythe, David Brown, Walter Savage Jr. & Everett Brown Jr. playing 'Your Child'.
                            It was recorded for Flying Dutchman in 1969 but the album has only recently been released:

Taken from the Horace Tapscott Quintet 'The Quintet'.Out Now - https://www.mrbongo.com/products/the-quintet-vinyl-lp-cdThis previously unreleased album by th...

JR
                            JR This is costing us a bomb, I have just ordered up the Tapscott. I have got the previous Flying Dutchman session by this band " The Giant awakens" so really pleased this new session has become available.

Playing this today - Ornette Coleman at Manchester Free trade hall in 1966 " The Fifth of Beethoven"
                            I wish I had been there; I'd have loved to have seen this trio.

elmo

Comment

• Jazzrook
                              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by elmo View Post
                              JR This is costing us a bomb, I have just ordered up the Tapscott. I have got the previous Flying Dutchman session by this band " The Giant awakens" so really pleased this new session has become available.

Playing this today - Ornette Coleman at Manchester Free trade hall in 1966 " The Fifth of Beethoven"
                              I wish I had been there; I'd have loved to have seen this trio.

elmo
                              Yes, we'll both end up bankrupt at this rate!
                              Fortunately, I already have the Ornette Trio at Manchester.
                              I was lucky enough to see their UK debut at Fairfield Halls, Croydon in 1965 - the greatest jazz concert of my life.
                              Here's 'Ballad' from that concert:

Details:On CD for the first time ever, the complete and long unavailable Ornette Coleman concert at Fairfield Hall, Croydon, on August 29, 1965 - which inclu...

JR

Comment

• elmo
                                • Nov 2010

Yes, we'll both end up bankrupt at this rate!
                                Fortunately, I already have the Ornette Trio at Manchester.
                                I was lucky enough to see their UK debut at Fairfield Halls, Croydon in 1965 - the greatest jazz concert of my life.
                                Here's 'Ballad' from that concert:

Details:On CD for the first time ever, the complete and long unavailable Ornette Coleman concert at Fairfield Hall, Croydon, on August 29, 1965 - which inclu...

JR
                                Wow -That Croydon concert is legendary, right place at right time. My greatest is probably a Joe Henderson gig at Ronnies in 1968 when he had an incredible night where he "lifted the bandstand", not jazz but equally great Jimi Hendrix at the Albert Hall in 1969.

This Session is due to be released on Oct 7th titled Ornette Coleman Trio Live 1965/1966 on the Equinox label. It's probably a boot, sound is poor but music is good as you would expect.

elmo

Comment

Working...
                                X