Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jazzrook
    • Mar 2011

Jackie McLean's 1956 album 'Lights Out!' with Donald Byrd, Elmo Hope, Doug Watkins & Art Taylor.
    This version of 'A Foggy Day' was recorded again by Jackie three days later on Charles Mingus's 'Pithecanthropus Erectus' session:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

"Charles Mingus, Jackie McLean, J.R.Monterose, Mal Waldron-Pithecanthropus Erectus", sound recording administered by:WMG Kontor New Media Pirames Internati...

JR
    Last edited by Jazzrook; 02-03-17, 10:46.

Comment

• Manupstairs
      • Jan 2017

A great share.

Thanks, Jazzrook.

Comment

• Tenor Freak
        • Dec 2010

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Last edited by Tenor Freak; 02-03-17, 23:43. Reason: zeta 2 Reticuli
        all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

• Stanfordian
          • Dec 2010

'Brother' Jack McDuff with Jimmy Forrest, Grant Green & Ben Dixon
          'The Honeydripper'
          Prestige (1961)

Comment

• Jazzrook
            • Mar 2011

Have been listening to 'The Zappa Album' by Ensemble Ambrosius who interpret 15 of FZ's compositions playing baroque era instruments.
            Here's their exhilarating version of 'G-Spot Tornado' which originally appeared on FZ's 1986 album 'Jazz From Hell':

Here's FZ's original Synclavier version:

Thought I'd Stick It OnAll right to Zappa Family Trust

JR
            Last edited by Jazzrook; 04-03-17, 11:29.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
              Have been listening to 'The Zappa Album' by Ensemble Ambrosius who interpret 15 of FZ's compositions playing baroque era instruments.
              Here's their exhilarating version of 'G-Spot Tornado' which originally appeared on FZ's 1986 album 'Jazz From Hell':

JR
              I can't imagine Bach going to town on that!

Speaking of Zappa-influenced, I've been listening to Gary Husband's "Diary of a Plastic Box" (FMR) - short, impressionistic in a fusion kinda way, free funk by way of Zappa and Debussy - pieces improvised on his portable Korg M1 Workstation whiling the spare time in hotel roms etc on tours between 1989 and 1995. Lots of colours and an authoritative sense of complexity. Gary's something of a genius in my view - he's great on piano and keyboards and of a standard good enough to have been taken on by Billy Cobham - though possibly better known on drums. You'll hear his kbds on the John McLaughlin number on today's JRR (track 10).

Comment

• teamsaint
                • Nov 2010

Mosaic.
                Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers.
                I was interested to read about Cedar Walton, who wrote the title track. ( I know you all know that....)

Anyway, in my ignorance I was impressed by the vast number of albums he produced under his own name.
                Any strong recommends out of that lot?
                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                  Mosaic.
                  Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers.
                  I was interested to read about Cedar Walton, who wrote the title track. ( I know you all know that....)

Anyway, in my ignorance I was impressed by the vast number of albums he produced under his own name.
                  Any strong recommends out of that lot?
                  I picked up a CD coupling the Messengers' "Caravan" and "Buhaina's Delight" the other week, replacing my worn LP of the former. Cedar's on both of those. I seem to remember he was in a band called Eastern Rebellion in the early 1970s, maintaining the banner for hard bop at a time when many were going for fusion.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                    • Dec 2010

JR
                    I believe that one of Zappa's descendants was a genuine composer in the 18th century - Francesco Zappa.

I must admit that I love this track although I probably shouldn't be too enthusiastic !!

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                      • Dec 2010

JR
                      I believe that one of Zappa's descendants was a genuine composer in the 18th century - Francesco Zappa.

I must admit that I love this track although I probably shouldn't be too enthusiastic !!

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                        Ex-member
                        • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
                        Are you sure?

Frank Zappa’s children are; Moon Unit Zappa, Ian Donald Calvin Euclid Zappa (Dweezil), Ahmet Emuukha Rodan Zappa and Diva Muffin Zappa. There is no Francesco Zappa. And none of them are capable of time travel, as far as I know.

Comment

• Bryn
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                          Are you sure?

Frank Zappa’s children are; Moon Unit Zappa, Ian Donald Calvin Euclid Zappa (Dweezil), Ahmet Emuukha Rodan Zappa and Diva Muffin Zappa. There is no Francesco Zappa.
                          Well of course Ian meant antecedents, but there is no evidence that I am aware of that Francesco was in any way an ancestor of Frank Vincent of that name.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                            • Dec 2010

Dexter Gordon with Donald Byrd, Kenny Drew, Niels-Henning, Orsted Pedersen & Art Taylor

'One Flight Up'
                            Blue Note (1964)

Comment

• Stanfordian
                              • Dec 2010

Joe Henderson with Lee Morgan, Curtis Fuller, Bobby Hutcherson, Cedar Walton, Ron Carter & Joe Chambers
                              'Mode for Joe'
                              Blue Note (1966)

Comment

• Stanfordian
                                • Dec 2010

Gigi Gryce with Mickey Roker, Richard Gene Williams, Richard Rylands & Reggie Workman
                                ‘The Hap'nin's’
                                New Jazz (1960)

Comment

Working...
                                X