• Stanfordian
    • Dec 2010

‘Up & Down’ – Horace Parlan
    with Booker Ervin, Grant Green, George Tucker & Al Harewood
    Blue Note (1961)

Comment

• Jazzrook
      • Mar 2011

Yusef Lateef with Hugh Lawson, Reggie Workman & Roy Brooks playing 'Feather Comfort' from the 1966 album 'A flat, G flat and C':

From the "A Flat, G Flat And C" LP 1966• Saxophones, Flute, Oboe – Yusef Lateef• Piano – Hugh Lawson • Bass – Reggie Workman • Drums – Roy Brooks Recorded Ma...

JR

Comment

• Stanfordian
        • Dec 2010

‘Heavy Soul’ – Ike Quebec
        with Freddie Roach, Milt Hinton & Al Harewood
        Blue Note, CD (1961)

Comment

• elmo
          • Nov 2010

Archie Shepp 'Soul Eyes' From the album ' Ballads for Trane'

One of Shepps best post Impulse label albums. This has a stellar rhythm team - Al Dailey, Reggie Workman and Charles Persip and a moving Shepp solo.

elmo

Comment

• Jazzrook
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by elmo View Post
            Archie Shepp 'Soul Eyes' From the album ' Ballads for Trane'

One of Shepps best post Impulse label albums. This has a stellar rhythm team - Al Dailey, Reggie Workman and Charles Persip and a moving Shepp solo.

elmo
            Great track, elmo.
            Those Denon albums are hard to find.
            Here's Shepp's wonderful version of 'Wise One':

Archie Shepp, "Wise one", album Ballads for Trane, 1977 Archie Shepp, tenor saxophone, soprano saxophone ((tracks: 5) Reginald Workman, bass Charlie Persip...

JR

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
              • Dec 2010

Interview with Eric Dolphy, after show, Amsterdam April 1964.

I don't think I've heard this before, what comes over is the warmth and enthusiasm. Great player great voice, and as he says of the future, "time will tell", unfortunately far too soon.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                • Dec 2010

I have been listening to Eric Dolphy a lot this year. He always strikes me as being the one musician from the 1960s who would still sound modern today. It would be really interesting to hear where he would have gone. It is interesting to hear his comments about othr styles of music which suggest to me that he would have followed a far more musical solution to the avant garde that what ultimately happened in the late 1960s . I could easily see him accomodated within the Loft scene as per Sam Rivers. There was so much he had to offer and it is a shame that there is not really a great deal of his work on record as you would have liked.

Sad to hear of the passing of Abdul Wadid. Love his playing with Arthur Blythe - the Monk album being particularly effective.

Comment

• Jazzrook
                  • Mar 2011

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
                  Interview with Eric Dolphy, after show, Amsterdam April 1964.

I don't think I've heard this before, what comes over is the warmth and enthusiasm. Great player great voice, and as he says of the future, "time will tell", unfortunately far too soon.

http://youtu.be/kJ1JqYinGCM
                  Wonderful to hear that, BN.
                  Such an intelligent and kind man.
                  It's time someone wrote a decent biography on his life and music. I believe Brian Morton started one many years ago with the title 'Gone In The Air'.

JR

Comment

• Stanfordian
                    • Dec 2010

‘Heavy Soul’ - Ike Quebec
                    with Freddie Roach, Milt Hinton, Al Harewood
                    Blue Note (1961)

Comment

• Jazzrook
                      • Mar 2011

Ken McIntyre with Jaki Byard, Ron Carter & Ben Riley playing 'Speak Low' in 1962:

Provided to YouTube by Universal Music GroupSpeak Low · Ken McIntyreThe Complete United Artists Sessions℗ A Blue Note Records Release; ℗ 1997 Capitol Records...

JR

Comment

• Stanfordian
                        • Dec 2010

‘The Thing to Do’ – Blue Mitchell
                        with Junior Cook, Chick Corea, Gene Taylor & Al Foster
                        Blue Note (1964)

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                          • Dec 2010

Something for the through the looking glass amongst us...

Jane Getz, child prodigy, classical, then jazz, notably Mingus and Gets (no relation), and everyone else on the scene, the live Mingus album in particular, then burned out by New York, then a big playing/ rock production deal with a major label, and her album as "Mother Hen"...years later she returned to playing jazz. And wrote her autobiography which is as apparently revealing (about jazz others) as Pepper's.

Anyway, "Mother Hen" (the name given her by Jerome Richardson),
                          Not what you'd expect from a Mingus association...no no no

Jane Getz , round about now, still sounding good, looking good,

During a sound check, my good friend & long time pianist Jane Getz warms up on a fully restored 1921 Steinway-B grand piano @ Alvas Showroom in San Pedro, CA...
                          Last edited by BLUESNIK'S REVOX; 22-08-22, 19:30.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                            • Dec 2010

I have been playing a compilation of Coleman Hawkins' work from late twenties through to the mid 1950s. Hawkins was the first jazz soloist who really impressed me when I was about 16 and I still find him to be hugely impressive. There are some tracks he made with Fletcher Henderson prior to the arrival of Louis Armstrong where his playing seems antiquated but by the time he was recording things like "One Hour" and the later work with Henderson, he seems "modern" to the point of almost being out of his time. Much is made of Miles Davis always looking to move with the times yet I feel that Hawkins was always involved in more progressive ideas.

Looking back through his work in the 1930's, he seems to be head and shoulders above his contemporaries in the way he tackles improvisation. By the time he was recording in the 50s and 60's, I feel he was no less modern to many of his contemporaries. As much as I love Lester Young, it strikes me that it is Hawkin's influence which has cast a far longer shadow. The way he deals with harmony is something that always impressed me and no element of a chord seems to be left unexplored whilst always having tha ability to create an architecture in his solos with both the shape of his lines and his use of dynamics which I think was peerless.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                              • Dec 2010

‘The Waiting Game’ – Tina Brooks
                              with Kenny Drew, Wilbar Ware & Philly Joe Jones
                              Blue Note (1961)

Comment

• Jazzrook
                                • Mar 2011

Gene Shaw( aka Clarence Shaw) with Sherman Morrison, James Taylor, Sidney Robinson & Bernard Martin playing 'Autumn Walk' from the 1962 album 'Break Through':

Clarence Eugene Shaw - tpt クラレンスユージーン·ショーSherman Morrison - ts シャーマン·モリソン James Taylor - p ジェームス·テイラーSidney Robinson - b シドニー·ロ...

JR

Comment

Working...
                                X