• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • elmo
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
    Elmo

Oddly enough I was listening to this record on Friday whilst working from home. I was aware that drummer Bruz Freeman was the brother of Von Freeman, the legendary Chicago tenor saxophonist but was unaware this week that there is a third brother who plays guitar called George. This Hampton Hawes series of records is fantastic and something that I don't think jazz musicians would be prepared to rattle off these days. The standard is really high over the three volumes but, to be honest, I don't think Hawes made any records which did not sound great.

I have been listeing to "Kid Ory meets Red Allen" which I haven't heard for years. I am staggered how good this music is. For my money , Red Allen was a seriously under-valued trumpeter and the whole band is extremely assured on this CD which is largely comprised of material from the 1930s and, in particular, some of the big bands of that era. It is strange hearing familiar tunes in this format and the whole band is really relaxed and assured. I am not familiar with any of their names albeit it is interesting that pianist Cedricn haywood also played bop with Brew Moore. In my opinion, this music is exceptional and the band's "feel" for the music makes the disc an exceptional fete of recording. At the time this record was made in 1959, I suppose this might have been considered revivalist, however, I think that Kid Ory must be one of a handful of musicians from jazz's early day who ends up sounding completely contemporary in 2022. Ory's trombone playing is exceptional and I love the range of sounds he coaxes out of his horn. He was a great "band" player yet his solos for me sit comfortably with players like Roswell Rudd, Gary Valente, Jacob Garchik and Jeb Bishop. I really love this music.
    Ian

You are so right about Henry Red - he was way ahead of his time in the 20/30's especially his work with the Luis Russell band and what a superb band it was Pops Foster, the first great bass player with J C Higginbotham on trombone, Charlie Holmes and Albert Nicholas that band generated tremendous swing that very few bands could compete with .......and all this in 1929.

check out Jersey lightening

elmo

Comment

• Stanfordian
      • Dec 2010

‘Inner Urge’ – Joe Henderson
      with McCoy Tyner, Bob Cranshaw & Elvin Jones
      Blue Note (1964)

Comment

• Joseph K
        Banned
        • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
        ‘Inner Urge’ – Joe Henderson
        with McCoy Tyner, Bob Cranshaw & Elvin Jones
        Blue Note (1964)
        That's a good one. I love that tune, I ought to familiarise myself with the album.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
          • Dec 2010

"Round Midnight" - Jackie McLean Quintet (with Rene), live at the Iridium, NYC 2003. Absolutely distinctive, always great. If I've got a VERY favourite it's Jackie. And I've been listening him for sixty years. Blimey.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
            • Dec 2010

If SA's contention that the more creative end of jazz stems from the freer / improv based music of the late 1960s is considered salient, then I think the Portugese record label Clean Feed must be one of the most important ones currently issuing albums. I have been really impressed by discs by Mario Pavone, Keefe Jackson and Eric Revis from this label in the past and also note a few familiar names like Paul Dumnall, William Parker and Kris Davis cropping up in the discography. At the moment their back catalogue is being dispensed for 5 Euros and have taken advantge of this to pick up some interesting music. This weekend I have been listening to a trio album by Slovenian guitarist which is pretty abstract before each piece suddenly starts to get really focussed. At first listen it semed a little under-whelming but playing the album in my car coming back from looking for bats along Basingstoke Canal on Friday evening, the music really started to fall in place for me. I have been particularly impressed by the saxophonist Tony Malaby - not a name ever mentioned in this board yet a musician I have been seriously impressed by on this disc. The drummer , like so many on Clean Feed, appears to be from Portugal. I would have to say that Clean Feed are issuing some quite niche records and probably more typical of the cross pollenation of ideas between the US and Europe than the more rarified approach of ECM. As a whole , Clean Feed's output does desrve wider attention.

Comment

• Joseph K
              Banned
              • Oct 2017

55 years to the day since Coltrane passed.

Comment

• Joseph K
                Banned
                • Oct 2017

Now, Trane's Transition. Partly to drown out the noises made by the kids in the backyard of an adjacent house.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
                  Now, Trane's Transition. Partly to drown out the noises made by the kids in the backyard of an adjacent house.
                  Same problem here. I just hope they collapse from dehydration caused by too much hyperactivity - or too much of Ian's salient: personally I never sprinkle the stuff in hot weather! Luckily no one's thought to get the condominium barbecue out of the cupboard downstairs, to which I thought I had the only key in the block... it appears not: someone must've sneaked to the key cutter down the road.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                    • Dec 2010

‘Good Move!’ – Freddie Roach
                    with Blue Mitchell, Hank Mobley, Eddie Wright & Clarence Johnston
                    Blue Note (1963)

Comment

• Stanfordian
                      • Dec 2010

‘Doin' the Thing’ – The Horace Silver Quintet at the Village Gate
                      Horace Silver with Blue Mitchell, Junior Cook, Gene Taylor & Roy Brooks
                      Blue Note (Live 1961)

Comment

• Jazzrook
                        • Mar 2011

Booker Ervin, Woody Shaw, Kenny Barron, Jan Arnet & Billy Higgins playing 'Lynn's Tune' from the 1968 album 'Tex Book Tenor':

Provided to YouTube by Universal Music GroupLynn's Tune (2005 Remastered) · Booker ErvinTex Book Tenor℗ A Blue Note Records Release; ℗ 2005 Capitol Records, ...

JR

Comment

• elmo
                          • Nov 2010

Jackie McLean 'Lights out' with Donald Byrd, Elmo Hope, Doug Watkins and Art Taylor from the album 'Lights Out' 1956

I haven't played this album for ages and had forgotten how good it is, superb early Jackie and Elmo at his idiosyncratic best. Such a great pairing Doug Watkins and Art Taylor, not so obvious on this track but they really drive the band on the faster tracks. Donald Byrd in fine form also

Jackie and Elmo - Right up your street Bluesie......!

elmo

Comment

• Joseph K
                            Banned
                            • Oct 2017

RIP Michael Henderson.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                              • Dec 2010

'Destination... Out!' – Jackie McLean
                              with Grachan Moncur II, Bobby Hutcherson, Larry Ridley & Roy Haynes
                              Blue Note (1963)

Comment

• Joseph K
                                Banned
                                • Oct 2017

Kurt Rosenwinkel & Jean-Paul Brodbeck - The Chopin Project

I put this on, and it has had a most unexpected effect on me, it's very beautiful. I mean, it's not that I disliked it when I first listened. Perhaps because I have it on fairly loud right now, and the band sounds great as does the sound quality. Try it:

Comment

Working...
                                X