Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jazzrook
    • Mar 2011

Paul Bley with John Gilmore, Gary Peacock & Paul Motian playing Carla Bley's 'Ida Lupino' in 1964 from the album 'Turning Point':

Provided to YouTube by Awal Digital LtdIda Lupino · Paul Bley · John Gilmore · Paul Motian · Gary PeacockTurning Point℗ Improvising Artists aka IAI RecordsRe...

JR

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
      Paul Bley with John Gilmore, Gary Peacock & Paul Motian playing Carla Bley's 'Ida Lupino' in 1964 from the album 'Turning Point':

Provided to YouTube by Awal Digital LtdIda Lupino · Paul Bley · John Gilmore · Paul Motian · Gary PeacockTurning Point℗ Improvising Artists aka IAI RecordsRe...

JR
      My intro to Paul Bley and an album I never tire of.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
        My intro to Paul Bley and an album I never tire of.
        It is one Paul Bley album i do not have but I have plenrty of others where he is performing with Peacock and Motian. I find that you cannot go wrong with Paul Bley's music and the level of music -making is always extremely high. Again, to pick up on the argument presented by Joseph, Paul Bley's body of work is a great example of someone who was working at a greater level than Miles Davis in the 1970s and 80s. Although he emerged in the 1960s, I always considered Paul Bley as a musician who was contemporary. I would not swap anything Paul Bley produced for any of Miles 70s/ 80's output. Shame that Paul Bley was only really recognised by his fellow musicians and somewhat under the radar of the fans. He is one of my favourite musicians.

Comment

• Joseph K
          Banned
          • Oct 2017

Ian, to an extent I don't disagree with you about Miles's output - I think his last great album was Live-Evil, and I don't listen that much to any album made after that. I just object to you seeming to use it as an example of bad music - which I think is unfair, and I dislike your comparative judgemental disquisitions which contain all kinds of generalisations and misrepresentations, which I don't have the time or inclination to unpick.

Comment

• Jazzrook
            • Mar 2011

Andrew Hill with John Gilmore, Bobby Hutcherson, Richard Davis & Joe Chambers playing 'Le Serpent Qui Danse' in 1964 from the album 'Andrew!!!':

Provided to YouTube by Universal Music GroupLe Serpent Qui Danse (Remastered) · Andrew HillAndrew!!!℗ 1994 Blue Note RecordsReleased on: 2005-01-01Producer: ...

JR

Comment

• elmo
              • Nov 2010

Art Blakey and the Messengers with John Gilmore, Lee Morgan, John Hicks, Victor Sproles and Art recorded in Paris Nov 1965 same band as the more well known BBC Jazz 625 - this is even more fiery than that London session.

elmo

Comment

• Stanfordian
                • Dec 2010

'Home Cookin' – The Incredible Jimmy Smith
                with Percy France, Kenny Burrell & Donald Bailey
                Blue Note (1958/59)

Comment

• Stanfordian
                  • Dec 2010

‘Alfie’ (originally titled ‘Sonny Plays Alfie’) – Sonny Rollins
                  Original music from the film score composed by Sonny Rollins
                  Sonny Rollins with J.J. Johnson, Jimmy Cleveland, Phil Woods, Bob Ashton,
                  Danny Bank, Roger Kellaway, Kenny Burrell, Walter Booker & Frankie Dunlop
                  Oliver Nelson (arranger, conductor)
                  Impulse (1966)

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                    ‘Alfie’ (originally titled ‘Sonny Plays Alfie’) – Sonny Rollins
                    Original music from the film score composed by Sonny Rollins
                    Sonny Rollins with J.J. Johnson, Jimmy Cleveland, Phil Woods, Bob Ashton,
                    Danny Bank, Roger Kellaway, Kenny Burrell, Walter Booker & Frankie Dunlop
                    Oliver Nelson (arranger, conductor)
                    Impulse (1966)
                    Rightly admired though this recording is, I always wish the original semi-improvised clips Stan Tracey performed to the movie along Sonny with Ernest Ranglin and the others involved while the paint of Sonny's inspiration was still wet - much the same way Herbie Hancock did for the clips to "Blow Up" a year later. Either that or they'd improvised long enough settings of the materials for an LP.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                      • Dec 2010

I wondered if anyone here is familiar with this record? It might have been something on either Bluesnik's or Jazzrook's radar. Lyle "Spud" Murphy always struck me as a rather perfunctory swing band arranger who worked for the likes of Benny Goodman in the 1930s. I was totally unaware of his subsequent career and his interest in the then more contemprary styles of classical music which were prevalent in the mid 20th Century. He used his own Equal Interval System which ultimately served his later career in film music,classical composition and teaching before he died aged 97 in 2005. He also seems to have been a wroter of copious books about musical theory which apparently Oscar Peterson , amongst others, was a student.

I had never appreciated he had subsequently made two records for Contemporary in the mid 50s which sought to blend jazz with classical music. Some of the results remind me of Tristano and the list of musicians associated with him demonstrates that he must have been held in a lot of respect. Andre Previn is the pianist but other musicians include Buddy Collete, Curtis Counce, Shelly Manne and Frank Morgan. I think that there will be a few here who will find this music really interesting. Amazing that it seems to be so little known.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
                        I wondered if anyone here is familiar with this record? It might have been something on either Bluesnik's or Jazzrook's radar. Lyle "Spud" Murphy always struck me as a rather perfunctory swing band arranger who worked for the likes of Benny Goodman in the 1930s. I was totally unaware of his subsequent career and his interest in the then more contemprary styles of classical music which were prevalent in the mid 20th Century. He used his own Equal Interval System which ultimately served his later career in film music,classical composition and teaching before he died aged 97 in 2005. He also seems to have been a wroter of copious books about musical theory which apparently Oscar Peterson , amongst others, was a student.

I had never appreciated he had subsequently made two records for Contemporary in the mid 50s which sought to blend jazz with classical music. Some of the results remind me of Tristano and the list of musicians associated with him demonstrates that he must have been held in a lot of respect. Andre Previn is the pianist but other musicians include Buddy Collete, Curtis Counce, Shelly Manne and Frank Morgan. I think that there will be a few here who will find this music really interesting. Amazing that it seems to be so little known.

Thanks for this, Ian.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                          • Dec 2010

‘Dialogue’ – Bobby Hutcherson
                          with Sam Rivers, Freddie Hubbard, Andrew Hill, Richard Davis & Joe Chambers
                          Blue Note (1965)

Comment

• mahlerfan
                            Banned
                            • Aug 2021

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                            ‘Dialogue’ – Bobby Hutcherson
                            with Sam Rivers, Freddie Hubbard, Andrew Hill, Richard Davis & Joe Chambers
                            Blue Note (1965)
                            Prompted me to dig this up and give it a spin.......

Comment

• elmo
                              • Nov 2010

Miles Davis 'Spring is here'

Miles with Gil recorded at Carnegie Hall in 1961, a song that Miles had not previously recorded

elmo

Comment

• Stanfordian
                                • Dec 2010

‘Out to Lunch!’ – Eric Dolphy
                                with Freddie Hubbard, Bobby Hutcherson, Richard Davis & Tony Williams
                                Blue Note (1964)

Comment

Working...
                                X