Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tenor Freak
    • Dec 2010

NP: "Duke Ellington's Sound of Love" - Mingus from LP "Changes One" (Atlantic, 1975)
    all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

• Stanfordian
      • Dec 2010

‘Groove’ - The Complete Legendary 1961 Sessions - Ben Webster
      with Richard 'Groove' Holmes, Les McCann, Lawrence 'Tricky' Lofton, George Freeman, Herbie Lewis & Ron Jefferson
      Pacific Jazz (1961)

Comment

• elmo
        • Nov 2010

Dug out the classic 'Birth of the cool' album today, it still sounds wonderful a perfect combination of composition, arrangement and soloist.

This is a nice later version of 'Venus De Milo' recorded in 1957 with Gerry, Lee Konitz, Al Cohn and Henry Grimes soloing and most of the arrangement retained

elmo

Comment

• Jazzrook
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by elmo View Post
          Dug out the classic 'Birth of the cool' album today, it still sounds wonderful a perfect combination of composition, arrangement and soloist.

This is a nice later version of 'Venus De Milo' recorded in 1957 with Gerry, Lee Konitz, Al Cohn and Henry Grimes soloing and most of the arrangement retained

elmo
          Many thanks for that, elmo, which has persuaded me to order a copy of 'The Gerry Mulligan Songbook' with extra tracks(very cheap!).

JR

Comment

• elmo
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
            Many thanks for that, elmo, which has persuaded me to order a copy of 'The Gerry Mulligan Songbook' with extra tracks(very cheap!).

JR
            Thats the copy that I own and all the tracks are excellent including the bonus tracks'

Some of the tracks have Alan Eager on alto - he's very good too.

elmo

Comment

• Stanfordian
              • Dec 2010

‘Bluesnik’ – Jackie McLean
              with Freddie Hubbard, Kenny Drew, Doug Watkins & Pete La Roca
              Blue Note (1961)

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Yesterday I was re-listening to the Elton Dean remembrance session of June 2010 recorded by Jezza's team at his Dalston flat, which was one of those blows that just went to show how brilliant freely improvised jazz can turn out with musicians so well attuned to each other. I was unable to find any link to the performance, which I am lucky to have on cassette, but the BBC page below includes two very short clips from it which can be played (unlike the programme as a whole) - one from the session, the other a quick tour around the premises looking at some of Elton's and his wife's posters:

Of those performing the great drummer Tony Levin would be gone within ten months; the others - trumpeter Jim Dvorak (whose name Jez annoyingly mispronounced "De Vorak"), saxophonist Simon Picard, bassist Paul Rogers and pianist Alex Maguire are still around, but as in the cases of so many British artists, one hardly ever gets to hear them on the BBC unless their names get picked up for Jazz Record Requests. While listening I was struck by the sheer inventiveness of these musicians improvising out of thin air and the limitless inspiration afforded when boundaries are tacit, worked out as they go along, rather than by virtue of pre-imposed frameworks.

Comment

• Joseph K
                  Banned
                  • Oct 2017

Thelonious Monk - Brilliant Corners

Comment

• Stanfordian
                    • Dec 2010

‘The Jazz Giants’ 56 – Lester Young
                    with Roy Eldridge, Vic Dickenson, Teddy Wilson, Freddie Green, Gene Ramey & Jo Jones
                    Verve (1956)

Comment

• Jazzrook
                      • Mar 2011

Charles Mingus with Jackie McLean, J.R. Monterose, Mal Waldron & Willie Jones playing the classic 'Pithecanthropus Erectus'.
                      It always astonishes me that this was recorded as early as January, 1956:

From the "Pithecanthropus Erectus" LP 1956• Charles Mingus – bass• Jackie McLean – alto saxophone• J. R. Monterose – tenor saxophone• Mal Waldron – piano• Wi...

JR

Comment

• Quarky
                        • Dec 2010

It may not have been mentioned yet, but I'm listening to
                        "The Lost Album from Ronnie Scott's", the unreleased London live performance of the 1972 sextet of Charles Mingus, appearing in a box of 3 CDs, to celebrate the centenary of the double bass player, born on April 22, 1922.

The Lost Album from Ronnie Scott’s is a never-before-released live recording of jazz icon Charles Mingus from Ronnie Scott’s jazz club in London captured in August 1972. Featuring a stellar band with alto saxophonist Charles McPherson, tenor saxophonist Bobby Jones, trumpeter Jon Faddis, pianist John Foster and drummer Roy Brooks. This 3 LP set is mastered by acclaimed sound engineer Bernie Grundman and pressed on 180-gram vinyl by RTI. Includes an extensive insert with rare photos from Jan Persson, Christian Rose, Jean-Pierre Leloir, Hans Harzheim, among others. Plus, an essay by British jazz author Brian Priestley who saw the band during this run and conducted an interview with Mingus and McPherson at the time. New interviews with Charles McPherson, Mingus’ friend and author Fran Lebowitz, and bass icons Eddie Gomez and Christian McBride are also included. Limited Edition. Side A: 1. Introduction (1:01) 2. Orange Was The Color of Her Dress, Then Silk Blues (Part 1) (25:18) Side B: 1. Orange Was The Color of Her Dress, Then Silk Blues (Part 2) (5:26) 2. Noddin’ Ya Head Blues (19:52) Side C: 1. Mind-readers' Convention In Milano (aka Number 29) (29:57) 2. Ko Ko (Theme) (0:45) Side D: 1. Fables of Faubus (Part 1) (21:52) Side E: 1. Fables of Faubus (Part 2) (13:10) 2. Pops (aka When the Saints Go Marching In) (7:17) Side F: 1. The Man Who Never Sleeps (18:51) 2. Air Mail Special (2:02)

Comment

• Jazzrook
                          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Quarky View Post
                          It may not have been mentioned yet, but I'm listening to
                          "The Lost Album from Ronnie Scott's", the unreleased London live performance of the 1972 sextet of Charles Mingus, appearing in a box of 3 CDs, to celebrate the centenary of the double bass player, born on April 22, 1922.

https://recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/14760
                          Review of " The Lost Album from Ronnie Scott's":

Mingus – The Lost Album from Ronnie Scott’s(Resonance. 3-LP or 3-CD set (*). Review by Dan Bergsagel) In August 1972, the Charles Mingus Sextet had a two-week residency at Ronnie Scott’s. Now…

JR

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                            • Dec 2010

"Orange was the colour..." apart from being on Plays Piano (my JRR request) was a feature of the Mingus band with Dolphy, Jordan, Coles etc. They still played it on tour after Johnny Coles was taken ill. And indeed up into the next decade with new members...
                            Here's a good video of Mingus et al playing it in Oslo in 1970 with an early version of the RS band above, but with Jaki Byard and Eddie Preston on trumpet. Bobby Jones has the longest hair!

Comment

• Jazzrook
                              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
                              "Orange was the colour..." apart from being on Plays Piano (my JRR request) was a feature of the Mingus band with Dolphy, Jordan, Coles etc. They still played it on tour after Johnny Coles was taken ill. And indeed up into the next decade with new members...
                              Here's a good video of Mingus et al playing it in Oslo in 1970 with an early version of the RS band above, but with Jaki Byard and Eddie Preston on trumpet. Bobby Jones has the longest hair!

http://youtu.be/quutv2SF7_E
                              Wonderful to see that, BN.
                              A really haunting Mingus composition.
                              I have a CD of this sextet, 'Live in Rotterdam 1970' which is probably hard to find now.
                              Here's 'The Man Who Never Sleeps':

"The Man Who Never Sleeps" Newport in Europe Festival, Rotterdam, Holland. More 1970 Mingus videos: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLG-cq9Afl2RMUIkpe...

JR

Comment

• Jazzrook
                                • Mar 2011

Richard Williams' encounter with Mingus in 1972:

Today — 22 April 2022 — is the centenary of Charles Mingus’s birth. He was 50 when I interviewed him in London in the summer of 1972. The great composer, bassist and bandleader ha…

JR

Comment

Working...
                                X