X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
    There are excerpts from it on YouTube (it's from 2016). Here's the drug years...http://youtu.be/H7pAa6HdgK4

Not sure why Bill Clinton's presence in all this. Maybe they needed his name to impress. Denzel Washington voices Coltrane.
    I think Clinton rather fancied himself as a jazz saxophonist. But he decided to become famous instead.

Comment

• Joseph K
      Banned
      • Oct 2017

John McLaughlin - Liberation Time

Inspired to give this another listen after reading a recent interview with John.

Comment

• Tenor Freak
        • Dec 2010

NP: "Crazy With You" - Carla Bley w/ Steve Swallow eb Larry Willis kyb Hiram Bullock g etc from LP "Night-Glo" (WATT, 1985)
        all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

• Jazzrook
          • Mar 2011

Sam Rivers, Cecil McBee & Norman Connors at Montreux, 1973 from the hard-to-find album 'Streams'(Impulse!):

JR

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Tenor Freak View Post
            NP: "Crazy With You" - Carla Bley w/ Steve Swallow eb Larry Willis kyb Hiram Bullock g etc from LP "Night-Glo" (WATT, 1985)
            Bruce

This is a wierd album. At that time, Carla Bley's records were slaughtered by the jazz press and she concentrated on a group with piano, organ and guitar. "Bight-Glo" felshed the group out with added horns and the results are uncomfortably close to Smooth Jazz. It is probably her most FM-friendly record yet, despite that, it does have some brilliant tunes on it. My favourite is "Rut" which i feel is oine of her very best compositions.

I am still playing the Pierre Dorge disc which seems to mix up Ellingtonia , Free Jazz and African music in to a bizarre cocktail. The first thought is Brotherhood of Breath but the debt to the Duke was never as strong as is the case with Dorge and there is a coolness about players such as Kirk Knuffke, Conrad Herwig and the tenor saxophonist that is very intriguing. Rather like Wadada Leo Smith, Dorge is another musician who seems to generate no interest whatsoever in this room.

Comment

• Tenor Freak
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
              I think Clinton rather fancied himself as a jazz saxophonist. But he decided to become famous instead.
              Alan Greenspan too though I understand Greenspan can actually play. Shame he wasted his life as a banker and shagging Ayn Rand.

Comment

• Tenor Freak
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
                Bruce

This is a wierd album. At that time, Carla Bley's records were slaughtered by the jazz press and she concentrated on a group with piano, organ and guitar. "Bight-Glo" felshed the group out with added horns and the results are uncomfortably close to Smooth Jazz. It is probably her most FM-friendly record yet, despite that, it does have some brilliant tunes on it. My favourite is "Rut" which i feel is oine of her very best compositions.

I am still playing the Pierre Dorge disc which seems to mix up Ellingtonia , Free Jazz and African music in to a bizarre cocktail. The first thought is Brotherhood of Breath but the debt to the Duke was never as strong as is the case with Dorge and there is a coolness about players such as Kirk Knuffke, Conrad Herwig and the tenor saxophonist that is very intriguing. Rather like Wadada Leo Smith, Dorge is another musician who seems to generate no interest whatsoever in this room.
                I remember "night-Glo" getting a crap review in The Wire. What do critics know, eh? All the tracks are great on it - it's a real grower I think. It was good that Kev Le G mentioned it on the COTW recently. I only discovered it during lockdown but it's a favourite.

Never heard of Pierre Dorge - guessing he's French? They have so many good musicians over there that are mostly unknown here in the UK (something they have in common with most British musicians too).

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Tenor Freak View Post
                  Alan Greenspan too though I understand Greenspan can actually play. Shame he wasted his life as a banker and shagging Ayn Rand.
                  "ALAN GREENSPAN: Clarinet, saxophone, flute, bass clarinet.

JIM LEHRER: Which one did you enjoy the most?

ALAN GREENSPAN: I actually enjoyed the clarinet the best, but I was
                  a fairly good amateur, but a moderate professional. But what really
                  did me in is I had, as an amateur, had to play next to Stan Getz. I
                  was 16; he was 15. I decided, "Do I really want to be in this business?"

JIM LEHRER: Why, because he was so good?

ALAN GREENSPAN: Oh, my god.

JIM LEHRER: Was he really good?

ALAN GREENSPAN: And he was one of the really historic famous sax
                  players. And the best economic decision I ever made in my life was to
                  decide to leave the music business and go into economics."

SO,,Getz is to blame. And the idea of Greenspan and Rand entwined? Christ! They deserve each other.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                    • Dec 2010

Bruce

Pierre Dorge is Danish. i am inable to type in the little line that goes through the O to make is sound like a double O.

He is a guitar player who was a pupil of John Tchicai in 1970s but is mroe reknown for leading the New Jungle Orchestra since the late 1970s. Probably not on Joseph's list of guitar players to check out but I would imagine his work would appeal to others in here

Comment

• Stanfordian
                      • Dec 2010

'Saying Somethin'! – Gigi Gryce
                      with Mickey Roker, Richard Gene Williams, Richard Rylands & Reggie Workman
                      New Jazz (1960)

Comment

• groovydavidii
                        • Dec 2010

Ella Fitzgerald, Paul Smith Quartet, live Berlin, 1960, singing "How High The Moon"–('Mack The Knife' album–very lively!

Comment

• Stanfordian
                          • Dec 2010

‘Clifford Brown & Max Roach at Basin Street’
                          with Sonny Rollins, Richie Powell & George Morrow
                          EmDarcy/Verve (1956)

Comment

• Jazzrook
                            • Mar 2011

Sonny Red with Wynton Kelly, Paul Chambers & Roy Brooks playing 'Bluesville' from the 1960 album 'Out of the Blue':

Song: Bluesville (1/8; written by Sonny Red)Album: Out Of The Blue (Recorded: December 5, 1959 and January 23, 1960 / Released: later in 1960)Artist: Sonny R...

JR

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by elmo View Post
                              Joseph - Look out for a 2 hour documentary due to be screened this coming Wednesday 13th called "Chasing Trane:The story of John Coltrane" It's on Sky Arts freeview channel 11 at 21:00. looking forward to it - should be good.

elmo
                              Thought I'd bump this up as a reminder of tonight's programme.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                                • Dec 2010

Picking up from Joe's earlier post abiout Chioin.s music, I have been playing a lot of John Field's music today. I had forgotten how good he was. I suppose he was the main influence for Chopin with the Nocturnes but it is interesting to re-discover his music again.

Comment

Working...
                                X