X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joseph K
    Banned
    • Oct 2017

Charlie Parker, the Chasin' the Bird boxed set - disk 1. The booklet notes are very useful. I'm currently listening to Sweet Georgia Brown from 1943 with Parker on tenor.

Comment

• Joseph K
      Banned
      • Oct 2017

Bill Evans - Portrait in Jazz

Comment

• Joseph K
        Banned
        • Oct 2017

Picking up where I left off from the above mentioned Charlie Parker box.

Comment

• Joseph K
          Banned
          • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
          Picking up where I left off from the above mentioned Charlie Parker box.
          ... just concluding listening to the first disk now.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
            • Dec 2010

I have been playing James Brandon Lewis' quartet album "Code of being" this week and , just like other album "Jesup Wagon", I have to say that the music is absolutely terrific. As I said previously, Lewis's music is very much the kind of jazz that Jazzrook would absolutely love and very much in the spirit of the more radical tenor saxophonists of the late 1960s / early 70s. The rest of the quartet is cracking and the compositions have a quirkiness about them that makes them as appealing as some of Ayler's catchiest themes.

In my opinion, Lewis is someone that Jazzrook would thoroughly enjoy and maybe the "spiritual" nature of the music might even appeal to Joseph. I have been impressed by J D Allen of late and I feel that James Brandon Lewis is another musician that makes you feel very positive about contemporary jazz now being 100% honest with itself. Both CDs are recommended.

Comment

• Jazzrook
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
              I have been playing James Brandon Lewis' quartet album "Code of being" this week and , just like other album "Jesup Wagon", I have to say that the music is absolutely terrific. As I said previously, Lewis's music is very much the kind of jazz that Jazzrook would absolutely love and very much in the spirit of the more radical tenor saxophonists of the late 1960s / early 70s. The rest of the quartet is cracking and the compositions have a quirkiness about them that makes them as appealing as some of Ayler's catchiest themes.

In my opinion, Lewis is someone that Jazzrook would thoroughly enjoy and maybe the "spiritual" nature of the music might even appeal to Joseph. I have been impressed by J D Allen of late and I feel that James Brandon Lewis is another musician that makes you feel very positive about contemporary jazz now being 100% honest with itself. Both CDs are recommended.
              OK, you've convinced me, Ian.
              I'll order a copy of 'Jesup Wagon'!

JR

Comment

• Joseph K
                Banned
                • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
                OK, you've convinced me, Ian.
                I'll order a copy of 'Jesup Wagon'!

JR
                Yes - I'll have to see if I can check it out and see if I like it...

Right now I'm listening to the fifth disk of the Miles Davis Cellar Door sessions - 'What I Say' to be precise, and while this music is very familiar to me, it is still incredibly ecstatic...

Comment

• Joseph K
                  Banned
                  • Oct 2017

Comment

• Jazzrook
                    • Mar 2011

Alan Shorter with Gato Barbieri, Charlie Haden & Muhammad Ali playing 'Orgasm' in 1968:

From album "Alan Shorter - Orgasm", released in 1968 by Verve.Musicians on this track are:Alan Shorter - flugelhorn. trumpet, tambourine Gato Barbieri - teno...

JR

Comment

• cloughie
                      • Dec 2011

JK - I don’t know how you are posting these you tube bits but there are gaping squares and no links.

Comment

• Joseph K
                        Banned
                        • Oct 2017

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                        JK - I don’t know how you are posting these you tube bits but there are gaping squares and no links.
                        Is this occurring exclusively to my posts containing an embedded video?

Comment

• cloughie
                          • Dec 2011

Is this occurring exclusively to my posts containing an embedded video?
                          Yes!

Comment

• Tenor Freak
                            • Dec 2010

Alfa Mist - "Coasting" from the LP "Bring Backs" (ANTI-Records, 2021)
                            all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

• Joseph K
                              Banned
                              • Oct 2017

Roy Haynes is 97 today, so I'm going to listen to him and Trane play Impressions together.

Provided to YouTube by Universal Music GroupImpressions (Extended - Live (1963 Newport Jazz Festival)) · John ColtraneMy Favorite Things: Coltrane At Newport...

Comment

• Joseph K
                                Banned
                                • Oct 2017

A clinic given by Julian Lage. His version at the beginning here of All the Things is incredible, his polyphonic conception on the guitar and the freedom of his (re-)harmonic language is just great, it almost sounds like a pianist - one with a great knowledge of classical music.

Comment

Working...
                                X