• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joseph K
    Banned
    • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
    Bought yesterday (see the latest jazz purchases thread) - https://outsideinmusic.bandcamp.com/album/riverside

... and it's just as good as I'd hoped!
    The CD of this arrived the other day and is currently spinning. It's great. It comprises imaginatively reharmonised jazz standards, and Oz Noy's fantastic playing, his phrasing and tone are wondrous.
    Last edited by Joseph K; 23-02-22, 13:23.

Comment

• elmo
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
      Dave Bailey Sextet with Frank Haynes, Kenny Dorham, Curtis Fuller, Tommy Flanagan and Ben Tucker playing 'Grand Street' from the 1961 album 'Bash!':

Dave Bailey Sextet - Grand Street (1961)Personnel: Kenny Dorham (trumpet), Curtis Fuller (trombone), Frank Haynes (tenor sax), Tommy Flanagan (piano), Ben Tu...

JR
      Nice track, especially to hear the rarely recorded Frank Haynes. Some of his best work is captured on a live 1964 session from the Half Note with Walter Bishop Jr, Eddie Khan, Dick Berk. First two tracks on this album - Crap recording quality, great music.

elmo

Comment

• Jazzrook
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by elmo View Post
        Nice track, especially to hear the rarely recorded Frank Haynes. Some of his best work is captured on a live 1964 session from the Half Note with Walter Bishop Jr, Eddie Khan, Dick Berk. First two tracks on this album - Crap recording quality, great music.

elmo
        Many thanks, elmo - not an easy album to find!
        I've only recently discovered Frank Haynes who died in 1965 aged only 37. Apparently, Coltrane, Monk & Rollins attended his memorial.
        He certainly deserves an airing on JRR sometime.
        Here he is with Dave Bailey, Billy Gardner, Grant Green & Ben Tucker playing 'Reaching Out' in 1961:

Dave Bailey Quintet ‎– Reaching Out.Bass – Ben Tucker.Drums – Dave Bailey.Guitar – Grant Green.Piano – Billy Gardner.Tenor Saxophone – Frank Haynes.

JR

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Many thanks, elmo - not an easy album to find!
          I've only recently discovered Frank Haynes who died in 1965 aged only 37. Apparently, Coltrane, Monk & Rollins attended his memorial.
          He certainly deserves an airing on JRR sometime.
          Here he is with Dave Bailey, Billy Gardner, Grant Green & Ben Tucker playing 'Reaching Out' in 1961:

Dave Bailey Quintet ‎– Reaching Out.Bass – Ben Tucker.Drums – Dave Bailey.Guitar – Grant Green.Piano – Billy Gardner.Tenor Saxophone – Frank Haynes.

JR
          Another new name for me. No relation to Roy Haynes, from what I can see.

Comment

• Joseph K
            Banned
            • Oct 2017

The first joyful tune of this great album:

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
              The first joyful tune of this great album:

Tbs track reminds me on another recorded by Michel Portal back in the 1990s. I have always liked Portal's music but he never seems to have attracted the kind of credit his reputation deserves utside of France. Even within the Hexagon, he still has his detractors. It always struck me that he was going in his own , unique direction that toally by-passed the American model and had little truck with the kind of direction other Europeans on a label like ECM had taken. Not everyone's cup of tea but maybe one of the most original musicians at blending the avant garde with jazz -rock. Formy money, he is one of Europe's originals.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
                Tbs track reminds me on another recorded by Michel Portal back in the 1990s. I have always liked Portal's music but he never seems to have attracted the kind of credit his reputation deserves utside of France. Even within the Hexagon, he still has his detractors. It always struck me that he was going in his own , unique direction that toally by-passed the American model and had little truck with the kind of direction other Europeans on a label like ECM had taken. Not everyone's cup of tea but maybe one of the most original musicians at blending the avant garde with jazz -rock. Formy money, he is one of Europe's originals.
                Louis Sclavis?

Comment

• Stanfordian
                  • Dec 2010

‘Inner Urge’ – Joe Henderson
                  with McCoy Tyner, Bob Cranshaw & Elvin Jones
                  Blue Note (1964)

Comment

• Jazzrook
                    • Mar 2011

Dave Green, Iain Dixon & Gene Calderazzo with Evan Parker playing Monk's 'Shuffle Boil' in 2004:

Provided to YouTube by IIP-DDSShuffle Boil · Dave Green Trio · Evan Parker · Iain Dixon · Gene CalderazzoRaise Four℗ Trio RecordsReleased on: 2022-02-25Produ...

JR

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Dave Green, Iain Dixon & Gene Calderazzo with Evan Parker playing Monk's 'Shuffle Boil' in 2004:

Provided to YouTube by IIP-DDSShuffle Boil · Dave Green Trio · Evan Parker · Iain Dixon · Gene CalderazzoRaise Four℗ Trio RecordsReleased on: 2022-02-25Produ...

JR
                      Yes I really liked that line-up, which was broadcast - I have a D90 of it. I always like when "free" players tackle standards, refreshing perspectives.

Comment

• Jazzrook
                        • Mar 2011

Bill Barron with Booker Ervin, Kenny Barron, Larry Ridley & Andrew Cyrille playing 'Now's The Time' from the album 'Hot Line' recorded in 1962:

Tenors Bill Barron and Booker Ervin team up on this frequently exciting quintet outing with pianist Kenny Barron, bassist Larry Ridley and drummer Andrew Cyr...

JR

Comment

• Stanfordian
                          • Dec 2010

‘Brown Sugar’ – Freddie Roach
                          with Joe Henderson, Eddie Wright & Clarence Johnston
                          Blue Note (1964)

Comment

• Tenor Freak
                            • Dec 2010

Which is completely unlike most of Moonchild's material - even though they're all jazzers this is the closest they get to the Tradition.
                            all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

• Joseph K
                              Banned
                              • Oct 2017

Miles Davis - Bitches Brew (disk 2)

I tend to listen to disk 1 much more - but this is still incredible.

Comment

• Joseph K
                                Banned
                                • Oct 2017

Grant Green - Green Street

Comment

Working...
                                X