X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joseph K
    Banned
    • Oct 2017

It would be impossible to exaggerate how much pleasure I get from this album and this track in particular, time & again.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
      • Dec 2010

I had always intended to post a link to this pop tune which I was not aware of until I went to watch the T20 at the Ageas Bowl last summer. It seemed to be played continually before the match and the interval but what really struck me was the production levels which are really staggering. Listening to it the various components seem to be coming out of different channels. Other than the keyboard and string section in the introduction, it is difficult to ascertain what instruments are being played. There are different layers of voices which give the music a sheeny gloss that I have never experienced before at such a level. The number of artists involved in it's production is quite incredible too.

I rarely listen to pop music and this record has struck me as being the "ultimate product" where the production values have more significance than the music itself. Not sure that I have ever heard something quite so slick at this.

Comment

• Stanfordian
        • Dec 2010

‘Side by Side’ – Duke Ellington and Johnny Hodges
        with Harry ‘Sweets’ Ellison, Les Spann, Sam Jones/Al Hall & Jo Jones
        Verve (1959)

Comment

• Jazzrook
          • Mar 2011

Chris McGregor's Brotherhood of Breath playing Dudu Pukwana's 'MRA' from their 1970 RCA NEON album:

JR

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
            Chris McGregor's Brotherhood of Breath playing Dudu Pukwana's 'MRA' from their 1970 RCA NEON album:

JR
            That and the following album, just titled Brotherhood, are fantastic.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
              I can remember the first time I heard the track "MRA" because it was played on the programme "Solent Swing" which was presented by my late friend Gerry Didymus on BBC Radio Solent. The show's producer left one week and was invited as guest to choose some of his favourite big band music and this was the track he chose. I think I must have been about 15/ 16 and was aware of Brotherhood of Breath. The track appealed to me but I have always felt the band was a bit ragged even though I realise that was the intention. I have always preferred the work of Adbullah Ibrahim even though I quite like BoB. The track had quite a shock value when played next to swing bands from the 1940s!

Comment

• Jazzrook
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                Here's 'The Bride' from that great RCA NEON album with a superb soprano solo from John Surman. Am trying to find a copy of the follow--up 'Brotherhood':

Chris McGregor's Brotherhood of Breath - The Bride [Chris McGregor's Brotherhood of Breath] 1971 Formed 1969 Members Chris McGregor (piano), Harry Beckett (...

JR

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                  • Dec 2010

Stan Tracey trio (Phil Seaman drums), The 1959 sessions. "Mood 13". I didn't know anything about this lost/found/release until listening to the J to Z (previously broadcast) now? This is my favourite period of Stan Tracey, the Little Klunk era. I don't know if he ever heard or was a fan of Elmo Hope, but there's a similar "watercolor" and off centre feel to this. Lovely stuff.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                    • Dec 2010

‘Una Mas’ – Kenny Dorham
                    with Joe Henderson, Herbie Hancock, Butch Warren & Tony Williams
                    Blue Note (1963)

Comment

• elmo
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
                      Stan Tracey trio (Phil Seaman drums), The 1959 sessions. "Mood 13". I didn't know anything about this lost/found/release until listening to the J to Z (previously broadcast) now? This is my favourite period of Stan Tracey, the Little Klunk era. I don't know if he ever heard or was a fan of Elmo Hope, but there's a similar "watercolor" and off centre feel to this. Lovely stuff.

http://youtu.be/i8QZd5oVs0U
                      Bluesie
                      I didn't see J to Z this week so missed the Tracey and did not know the album existed. Just checked out the tracks on youTube music and agree, right up my street as well so ordered the album immediately. Plenty of Stan, Duke and Monk in there but also Elmo particularly Mood 13 and Pitter, Patter, Panic.

Years ago I saw Stan's Quartet at Fishguard (of all places) with Art Themen, Bryan Spring and I think Ron Mathewson - a great gig and afterwards I spoke to Stan and in the course of conversation I brought up my liking for Elmo and he concurred he talked about the Blue Note trio, Quintet and the marvellous 1959 Hi Fi jazz trio. So he was well into it, Herbie Nichols figured in the conversation as well- it was a great night.

elmo

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by elmo View Post
                        Bluesie
                        I didn't see J to Z this week so missed the Tracey and did not know the album existed. Just checked out the tracks on youTube music and agree, right up my street as well so ordered the album immediately. Plenty of Stan, Duke and Monk in there but also Elmo particularly Mood 13 and Pitter, Patter, Panic.

Years ago I saw Stan's Quartet at Fishguard (of all places) with Art Themen, Bryan Spring and I think Ron Mathewson - a great gig and afterwards I spoke to Stan and in the course of conversation I brought up my liking for Elmo and he concurred he talked about the Blue Note trio, Quintet and the marvellous 1959 Hi Fi jazz trio. So he was well into it, Herbie Nichols figured in the conversation as well- it was a great night.

elmo
                        That's interesting! I only spoke to Stan on one occasion (although I saw him a lot in the 60s at Ronnie's), and that was to welcome him, Tony Coe and Tony Oxley, Chris Laurence, to Swindon (mid 80s Arts council gig), to which he responded "what a fkg place"...it was the Norman Foster Link Leisure Complex where you could hear the kids etc "splashing" alongside. During the course of the gig a couple of the "mature" audience (expecting maybe a Kenny Ball) said loudly "when's he going to play some proper jazz?" Mr Tracey then slammed the keyboard and continued relentlessly on course! Ahhhhh Swindon, the Birdland of the West Country!

Comment

• Stanfordian
                          • Dec 2010

‘True Blue’ – Tina Brooks
                          with Freddie Hubbard, Duke Jordon, Sam Jones & Art Taylor
                          Blue Note (1960)
                          Last edited by Stanfordian; 23-02-22, 10:19.

Comment

• Jazzrook
                            • Mar 2011

Sonny Rollins' 1958 album 'Freedom Suite' with Oscar Pettiford & Max Roach:

Sonny Rollins – tenor saxophone....Oscar Pettiford - bass....Max Roach - drums........................................................"The Freedom Suite" - ...

JR

Comment

• Jazzrook
                              • Mar 2011

Dave Bailey Sextet with Frank Haynes, Kenny Dorham, Curtis Fuller, Tommy Flanagan and Ben Tucker playing 'Grand Street' from the 1961 album 'Bash!':

Dave Bailey Sextet - Grand Street (1961)Personnel: Kenny Dorham (trumpet), Curtis Fuller (trombone), Frank Haynes (tenor sax), Tommy Flanagan (piano), Ben Tu...

JR

Comment

• Stanfordian
                                • Dec 2010

‘Page One’ – Joe Henderson
                                with Kenny Dorham, McCoy Tyner, Butch Warren & Pete La Roca
                                Blue Note (1963)

Comment

Working...
                                X