Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jazzrook
    • Mar 2011

Curtis Counce Quintet with Harold Land, Jack Sheldon, Carl Perkins & Frank Butler playing 'Landslide' in 1956:

Curtis Counce Quintet - Landslide (1956)Personnel: Jack Sheldon (trumpet), Harold Land (tenor sax), Carl Perkins (piano), Curtis Counce (bass), Frank Butler ...

JR

Comment

• Tenor Freak
      • Dec 2010

For the first time in many a year, it's Miles' "Nefertiti". I listened to "Sorcerer" last week.

Just finishing the title track, and into "Fall".
      all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

• Joseph K
        Banned
        • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Tenor Freak View Post
        For the first time in many a year, it's Miles' "Nefertiti". I listened to "Sorcerer" last week.

Just finishing the title track, and into "Fall".

Both beautiful albums, though Sorcerer has a bit of an incongruous last song, if memory serves. 'Pee Wee' by Tony Williams, on which Miles sits out, is a very beautiful thing indeed. And Nefertiti is highly suggestive and fertile stuff, I tend to associate it with 'Hand Jive' and 'Madness', two enigmatic numbers without piano comping for the most part...

Comment

• elmo
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
          Betty Carter, "Spring can really hang you up the most", from "An audience with Betty Carter". I bought the double vinyl of this in the mid 1980s and it's the standout track. I now find some of her late stuff indulgent, stretched beyond her limits and pointless, but THIS is something else...http://youtu.be/kmgGBuxb4KI
          Bluesie - Great song and great version by Ms Carter - here is Ella's equally beautiful version

elmo

Comment

• burning dog
            • Dec 2010

Dexter!

Comment

• Tenor Freak
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post

Both beautiful albums, though Sorcerer has a bit of an incongruous last song, if memory serves. 'Pee Wee' by Tony Williams, on which Miles sits out, is a very beautiful thing indeed. And Nefertiti is highly suggestive and fertile stuff, I tend to associate it with 'Hand Jive' and 'Madness', two enigmatic numbers without piano comping for the most part...
              My copy of Sorcerer is a reissue from the 80s by CBS France with the horrible grey cover. It lacks that last track, fortunately!

On Nefertiti, I always think that the tracks Hand Jive, Fall and Pinocchio make a great little suite (I had a cassette with those tracks in that order).
              all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

• Joseph K
                Banned
                • Oct 2017

Miles Davis - Miles at the Fillmore: 1970 The Bootleg Series 3

First disk of this.

... edit: this is pretty fantastic...
                Second disk now, while wrapping presents. Just as good, if not better!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Second disk now, while wrapping presents. Just as good, if not better!
                  I don't remember any recommendation that "This album is best listened to while wrapping presents"!

Comment

• Jazzrook
                    • Mar 2011

Bennie Wallace with Jimmy Knepper, Eddie Gomez & Dannie Richmond playing Monk's 'Ask Me Now' in 1981:

Provided to YouTube by Kontor New Media GmbHAsk Me Now · Bennie WallacePlays Monk℗ ENJA Records M. Winckelmann GmbHReleased on: 1981-05-27Artist: Bennie Wall...

JR

Comment

• RichardB
                      Banned
                      • Nov 2021

Andrew Hill - Judgment!

A new one for me. After a couple of tracks I thought: this is what I always thought the MJQ should have sounded like but didn't because they weren't really that "modern". Hill's compositions are fascinating and oblique as usual, & memorable playing from him, Bobby Hutcherson, Richard Davis and Elvin Jones.

Comment

• cloughie
                        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by RichardB View Post
                        Andrew Hill - Judgment!

A new one for me. After a couple of tracks I thought: this is what I always thought the MJQ should have sounded like but didn't because they weren't really that "modern". Hill's compositions are fascinating and oblique as usual, & memorable playing from him, Bobby Hutcherson, Richard Davis and Elvin Jones.
                        Steady RB - they were a bit modern when I first heard them in 1964 - what did you want them to do call themselves the ‘Jazz Quartet formerly known as Modern’. I recently purchased a couple of sets of their albums - really enjoyed them!

Comment

• cloughie
                          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                          I don't remember any recommendation that "This album is best listened to while wrapping presents"!
                          What would you choose to accompany the task S_A?

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                            • Dec 2010

Better ask Sam and Dave,
                            "Wrap it up" Stax 45. 1968. Nice guitar from Steve Cropper.

Comment

• Jazzrook
                              • Mar 2011

Milt Jackson Quartet with Horace Silver, Percy Heath & Connie Kay playing Artie Shaw's 'Moonray' in 1955:

Milt Jackson Quartet - Moonray (1955) Personnel: Milt Jackson (vibraphone), Horace Silver (piano), Percy Heath (bass), Connie Kay (drums)from the original al...

JR

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                                • Dec 2010

Miroslav Vitous - "Mountain in the Clouds" - Side A.

Early jazz-rock, when it was still about breaking free within loosened structures. I expect Joseph K knows this one.

Vinyl, LP, Album, Reissue, Stereo, PR (Presswell Pressing), US -1974Atlantic — SD 16221080p - 60fpsSide 1:00:00 - - - A1 — Freedom Jazz Dance (Eddie Harris) ...

Miroslav Vitous - bass
                                Joe Henderson - tenor sax
                                Herbie Hancock - electric piano
                                John McLaughlin - guitar
                                Jack DeJohnette/Joe Chambers -drums - Nov 1969.

Comment

Working...
                                X