Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Thanks Ian - I have heard of Pavone but not actually heard any of his music, so will follow up on your recommendations as soon as I am able to.

Comment

• Jazzrook
      • Mar 2011

Thomas Chapin Trio with Mario Pavone & Michael Sarin playing Monk's 'Ask Me Now' from the 1996 album 'Sky Piece':

Provided to YouTube by The Orchard EnterprisesAsk Me Now · Mario Pavone, bass · Michael Sarin, drums · Thomas Chapin, alto sax & flute · Thomas ChapinSky Pie...

JR

Comment

• Quarky
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
        The second guitar is Miles Okazaki. He has a new duo album out with drummer Dan Wiess which seems very tempting but, in a sign of future developments, the cost of the CD version is extortionate and a little prohibitive.

I saw the John Zorn tour in 2019 which celebrrated his 65th birthday and included a wealth of talent that included MH but also Dave Dougals, Julian Lage, Craig Taborn, Kris Davis and an effective list of everyone whose music is relevant today. It was a brilliant gig, each group being assigned three Bagatelles across a range of styles. I am not sure if John Zorn has dipped below the radar although I think that things have moved on from the whole Downtown movement of the 1980s. In my opinion, these musicians strike me as being typical of where the music is these days and somewhat counter to the position that Richard had taken on this thread about the paucity of creativity in the current jazz scene.

It is a bit depressing that you find the press hyping up alot of uninspiring music whereas I feel that there is plenty of really creative jazz being produced which is not getting the attention it deserves. The recent Mario Pavone disc is a great case in point. I bet that this is a disc no one else on this board has checked out or was even aware of. Even the excellent reviews it has recieved online seem to been unable to raise it's profile. I am finding this so often with the jazz I listen to. You have to go out and actively find the music as the printed press is nowhere as near as influential as it once was and the recent Covid restrictions mean musicians have not done much touring to promote their work.
        As a listening experience, and overlooking the means by which it was produced, I'm finding the demarcation between this type of Jazz and contemporary Classical music can be a little difficult to define.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
          Thomas Chapin Trio with Mario Pavone & Michael Sarin playing Monk's 'Ask Me Now' from the 1996 album 'Sky Piece':

Provided to YouTube by The Orchard EnterprisesAsk Me Now · Mario Pavone, bass · Michael Sarin, drums · Thomas Chapin, alto sax & flute · Thomas ChapinSky Pie...

JR
          Thanks for this introduction, JR!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Quarky View Post
            As a listening experience, and overlooking the means by which it was produced, I'm finding the demarcation between this type of Jazz and contemporary Classical music can be a little difficult to define.
            Then at least you have ONE thing in common with Mark-Anthony Turnage!!!

Comment

• elmo
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
              The second guitar is Miles Okazaki. He has a new duo album out with drummer Dan Wiess which seems very tempting but, in a sign of future developments, the cost of the CD version is extortionate and a little prohibitive.

I saw the John Zorn tour in 2019 which celebrrated his 65th birthday and included a wealth of talent that included MH but also Dave Dougals, Julian Lage, Craig Taborn, Kris Davis and an effective list of everyone whose music is relevant today. It was a brilliant gig, each group being assigned three Bagatelles across a range of styles. I am not sure if John Zorn has dipped below the radar although I think that things have moved on from the whole Downtown movement of the 1980s. In my opinion, these musicians strike me as being typical of where the music is these days and somewhat counter to the position that Richard had taken on this thread about the paucity of creativity in the current jazz scene.

It is a bit depressing that you find the press hyping up alot of uninspiring music whereas I feel that there is plenty of really creative jazz being produced which is not getting the attention it deserves. The recent Mario Pavone disc is a great case in point. I bet that this is a disc no one else on this board has checked out or was even aware of. Even the excellent reviews it has recieved online seem to been unable to raise it's profile. I am finding this so often with the jazz I listen to. You have to go out and actively find the music as the printed press is nowhere as near as influential as it once was and the recent Covid restrictions mean musicians have not done much touring to promote their work.

One for Elmo....

I have been listening a lot to Mike LeDonne's excellent "Groover Quartet" and Elmo has also shared his passion. I often bought their latest CD as part of my Dad's Christmas present as he loved organ jazz. Listening to the three quartet albums this week, I think that this band is critically under-appreciated. I believe they regularly have a gig at Smoke or one of the NYC clubs and have a cult following in the States. Over hear, there is a suspicion of jazz that grooves which means they do not enjoy the same kind of following. Personally, I think the combination of LeDonne's Hammond with tenor man Eric Alexander, guitarist peter Bernstein and drummer John Fanrsworth is right on the money. I love their combination of originals, Jazz classics and 60's / 70's Soul numbers which is firmly centred on jazz as opposed to funk. I am really surprised that Bluesnik has never mentioned the tenor playing of Eric Alexander as he strikes mea being firmly in the camp of players like Harold Land who took on board what coltrane was about yet never let if effect how he played. The more I listen, the most I am impressed by Eric Alexander.

I grabbed the latest Groover quartet release which includes the backing of Dennis Mackrel's big band and this maybe the best release to date. The music recalls some of Jimmy Smith's work with Oliver Nelson although the repertoire is more ostensibly Bop orientated with arrangements of music by Lee Morgan and Grant Green. There is a quartet ballad performance of a tune called "Still" where I feel Eric Alexander is imperious. There are a few blues one the album too as well as a nod to Mike LeDonne's former boss Milt Jackson. All in all, I feel that this quartet gets the "feel" of the music absolutely spot on and even if they are playing music by the Jacksons, the style is effectively straight ahead Hard Bop. There is no attempt to be modish or funky and I think represents a body of work that is now on par with Jimmy Smith. I would suggest this is an essential disc for Elmo and one Bluesnik would very much enjoy too.
              Thanks Ian I do like Mike Le Donne and have a number of Mike's cd's I will follow up on his latest release.

Here is one for you - has a mingus like intensity at times

elmo

Comment

• Quarky
                • Dec 2010

I've downloaded the album Isabella - Mario Pavone & the Tampa Quartet - and played it through once, but as Ian stated, probably repeated listenings are necessary.

However, matters proceed at a relaxed pace, very clear musical statements with time to digest them. I don't like being rushed! I don't like being shouted at!

Comment

• Joseph K
                  Banned
                  • Oct 2017

Miles Davis - Agharta

Comment

• Stanfordian
                    • Dec 2010

'Bluesin' Around' – Kenny Burrell
                    with Eddie Bert, Illinois Jacquet, Leo Wright, Hank Jones, George Duvivier,
                    Major Holley,Osie Johnson, Louis Hayes, Jimmy Crawford & Joe Dukes
                    Columbia (1962)

Comment

• Stanfordian
                      • Dec 2010

'Boss Guitar' – Wes Montgomery
                      with Melvin Rhyne & Jimmy Cobb
                      Riverside (1963)

Comment

• elmo
                        • Nov 2010

Betty Carter transforming "The trolley song" into jazz, she really stretches the lyrics to fit her highly rhythmic style

elmo

Comment

• Quarky
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by elmo View Post
                          Betty Carter transforming "The trolley song" into jazz, she really stretches the lyrics to fit her highly rhythmic style

elmo

Thanks for that elmo. I did a mini-exploration of Betty Carter recently, but was a little disappointed that there seemed to be few medium/ fast pace numbers, where Betty did not switch to scatting. This seems to be one of the few.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Quarky View Post

Thanks for that elmo. I did a mini-exploration of Betty Carter recently, but was a little disappointed that there seemed to be few medium/ fast pace numbers, where Betty did not switch to scatting. This seems to be one of the few.
                            Betty Carter, "Spring can really hang you up the most", from "An audience with Betty Carter". I bought the double vinyl of this in the mid 1980s and it's the standout track. I now find some of her late stuff indulgent, stretched beyond her limits and pointless, but THIS is something else...http://youtu.be/kmgGBuxb4KI

Comment

• Joseph K
                              Banned
                              • Oct 2017

Miles Davis - Miles at the Fillmore: 1970 The Bootleg Series 3

First disk of this.

... edit: this is pretty fantastic...
                              Last edited by Joseph K; 18-12-21, 16:16.

Comment

• Quarky
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
                                Betty Carter, "Spring can really hang you up the most", from "An audience with Betty Carter". I bought the double vinyl of this in the mid 1980s and it's the standout track. I now find some of her late stuff indulgent, stretched beyond her limits and pointless, but THIS is something else...http://youtu.be/kmgGBuxb4KI
                                Thanks BN. Betty's legacy needs handling with care, I feel.

Comment

Working...
                                X