Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jazzrook
    • Mar 2011

Hampton Hawes with Jimmy Woode & Art Taylor playing 'Blues For Bud' in Paris, 1968:

Provided to YouTube by Virgin Music GroupBlues For Bud · Hampton HawesBlues For BudReleased on: 1986-08-31Writer: HawesAuto-generated by YouTube.

JR

Comment

• Stanfordian
      • Dec 2010

‘Indestructible’ - Art Blakey
      with Curtis Fuller, Wayne Shorter, Cedar Walton & Reggie Workman
      Blue Note (1964)

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
        • Dec 2010

I have been going through a lot of more orthodox modern jazz over the course of this week incuding Hampton Hawes whose playing I greatly admire. One of the best pianists to come out of Bop, in my opinion. however, the music I have really enjoyed is Eirc Dolphy. It is ages since I have listened to him and my perception of his music has changed. There are moments when he sounds like an exagerated version of Bird. He is more orthodox and almost sentimental when playing the flute. I no longer find his bass clarinet quite as strident as I recalled.

I think I prefer the studio albums but the live disc with Booker Little and the nptirously out of tune piano is fascinating. As a teenager this record was always held up as being pretty cutting edge yet I think the issue is more a case of Dolphy being lightyears ahead of the rest of the quintet - as much as I like the other musicians. There is one track where Dolphy seems to be soloing and fragmenting the rhythm in a fashion that is oblivious to what everyone else is doing. I feel that the rhthym section is superpefluous. His music is still rooted in Charlie Parker and playing changes but it the solos sound like they are bursting out of these restrictions. It is a shame he died so young as I feel he would have transcended the "New Thing" and maybe gone in a smilar trajectory to someone like John Carter. Notplayed this music for yonks and had forgotten how good it was.

Comment

• Joseph K
          Banned
          • Oct 2017

Allan Holdsworth - Leverkusen 2010

Via youtube for this newly-released live album. Sounds good.

edit - though his phrasing seems a bit muddled on 'Fred'.
          Last edited by Joseph K; 12-11-21, 08:51.

Comment

• Stanfordian
            • Dec 2010

‘Empyrean Isles’ – Herbie Hancock
            with Freddie Hubbard, Ron Carter & Tony Williams
            Blue Note (1964)

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Miles Davis - "Live-Evil" (1970)

Various stages from that crucial year for Miles, including Wayne Shorter, Chick Corea, Herbie Hancock, Dave Holland, and culminating on that phenomenal autumn club gig with John McLaughlin re-joining and frequently taking command, Keith Jarrett on exceptional form playing two electric pianos replete with modifying add-ons, Michael Henderson consistently inspirational on bass guitar, then a mere 19 and just over from Stevie Wonder, and the magnificent Jack DeJohnette doing everything that seemed possible to extend funk in unforseeable directions while breaking all the rules about constantly emphasising "the One".

I've probably listened to this at least once a year since acquiring it back in '73, and it is one of those works (to not overstate the matter) that never fails to switch me on, lift me out of my chair, and leave me feeling positively changed. Django Bates has described it as free jazz -funk.

Comment

• Joseph K
                Banned
                • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                Miles Davis - "Live-Evil" (1970)

Various stages from that crucial year for Miles, including Wayne Shorter, Chick Corea, Herbie Hancock, Dave Holland, and culminating on that phenomenal autumn club gig with John McLaughlin re-joining and frequently taking command, Keith Jarrett on exceptional form playing two electric pianos replete with modifying add-ons, Michael Henderson consistently inspirational on bass guitar, then a mere 19 and just over from Stevie Wonder, and the magnificent Jack DeJohnette doing everything that seemed possible to extend funk in unforseeable directions while breaking all the rules about constantly emphasising "the One".

I've probably listened to this at least once a year since acquiring it back in '73, and it is one of those works (to not overstate the matter) that never fails to switch me on, lift me out of my chair, and leave me feeling positively changed. Django Bates has described it as free jazz -funk.
                I agree - it's an incredible album. I should probably get round to replacing it, because since my copy was stolen, I've relied on youtube, and then Richard Barrett was kind enough to send me the Cellar Door sessions.

When I first got into this album it was indeed the Cellar Door derived jams I cottoned onto the most, but when I replace the album it'll be interesting listening through to the whole thing. I have fond memories listening while stoned in my last year of uni, when I had ordered the complete Miles on Colombia boxed set and was investigating much of his oeuvre that was unfamiliar to me.

One thing I would say is I think the first performance of Directions with John McLaughlin from the Cellar Door sessions IMO is or would have been good enough to appear unedited on Live-Evil, since it features one of McLaughlin's greatest solos which does not appear on Live-Evil. But I totally love Live-Evil anyway - What I Say and Inamorata are sublime. BTW it must have been released in 1971...

Comment

• Joseph K
                  Banned
                  • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
                  Allan Holdsworth - Leverkusen 2010

Via youtube for this newly-released live album. Sounds good.

edit - though his phrasing seems a bit muddled on 'Fred'.
                  Well, I just checked out 'Letters of Marque' from this album and I am sorry to say it really isn't happening. I won't be buying this one. It was only a year or two after the double live album with Pasqua and co but his playing seems to have gone down hill.

Comment

• cloughie
                    • Dec 2011

After the discussion on S_A’s thread re Betty Carter I found the Avid catalogue had a couple of gems - 4 albums on 2 CD sets - the Betty Carter set includes the Ray Charles duet album but I was blown away by the Ray Bryant album. The other Avid set was Jacques Loussier Play Bach 1-3 topped up with a fourth album of Kurt Weill’s music. I may go back to Avid for another Ray Bryant set. At £5.99 per 2CD set inc p&p direct from Avid these are v good - the service is excellent -ordered on line Tuesday arrived Thursday by post.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                      • Dec 2010

I don't know if your Ray Bryant sets have the Prestige album, "Ray Bryant Trio", but it's a very fine album that I only became aware of a year or so ago. It's got Angel Eyes, Django, Blues Changes etc on it. Here's "Golden Earrings", which I think is a Swedish folk tune? http://youtu.be/vBSDU7cjdn4

Not a Swedish folk song! It's from a movie and it's by Victor Young! I think Peggy Lee sang it. But not necessarily in Stockholm...

Comment

• Quarky
                        • Dec 2010

It seems I'm guilty of under-estimating Betty. Videos available on YouTube showing her work in later life -she's not scatting, but improvising as the mood takes her, and putting her whole body and soul into it. The compleat artist.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                          • Dec 2010

‘At Ease with Coleman Hawkins’ (Moodsville 7) – Coleman Hawkins
                          with Tommy Flanagan, Ron Carter & Gus Johnson
                          Moodsville (1960)

Comment

• elmo
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
                            I don't know if your Ray Bryant sets have the Prestige album, "Ray Bryant Trio", but it's a very fine album that I only became aware of a year or so ago. It's got Angel Eyes, Django, Blues Changes etc on it. Here's "Golden Earrings", which I think is a Swedish folk tune? http://youtu.be/vBSDU7cjdn4

Not a Swedish folk song! It's from a movie and it's by Victor Young! I think Peggy Lee sang it. But not necessarily in Stockholm...
                            Wow Bluesie how did I miss out on this one? I have just played some of the tracks on you tube and have ordered up the cd. I loved the version of "Blues Changes" with Miles, Milt from 1955 and didn't know Ray recorded a trio version - thanks BR.

elmo

Comment

• elmo
                              • Nov 2010

Joe Henderson, Wynton Kelly, Paul Chambers and Jimmy Cobb Playing "Four" at he "Left Bank" baltimore in 1968. Joe apparently was thrilled to be playing with this absolutely classic rhythm section and he certainly sounds inspired on this.

I remember seeing Joe at Ronnie's in 1968 with Mick Pyne, Ron Mathewson and Spike Wells - great days

elmo

Comment

• Joseph K
                                Banned
                                • Oct 2017

'Funky Tonk' from Live-Evil, Miles Davis.

Listening to this album from start to finish the other day, this piece struck me as something definitely worth becoming more closely acquainted with. Incredible!

Comment

Working...
                                X