Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BLUESNIK'S REVOX
    • Dec 2010

The 1960s UK release of "Outward Bound" on Esquire had a "conventional" jazz sleeve. I much prefer the US New Jazz "ugly" one, which I bought originally. I like all those early US Dolphy sleeves, their kind of hip surrealism, can't remember the guy's name but he was a friend of Shepp and Leroi Jones etc.

Comment

• Jazzrook
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
      The 1960s UK release of "Outward Bound" on Esquire had a "conventional" jazz sleeve. I much prefer the US New Jazz "ugly" one, which I bought originally. I like all those early US Dolphy sleeves, their kind of hip surrealism, can't remember the guy's name but he was a friend of Shepp and Leroi Jones etc.
      Just discovered the artist was Richard Slater Jennings aka "Prophet":

JR

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post

JR
        Thanks, that's the guy! "Prophet Jennings" on Freddie Hubbard's "Hub Tones", 1962.

Comment

• Jazzrook
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
          Thanks, that's the guy! "Prophet Jennings" on Freddie Hubbard's "Hub Tones", 1962.
          Thanks, BN. Here is " Prophet Jennings" from Freddie Hubbard's 'Hub Tones' with James Spaulding, Herbie Hancock, Reggie Workman & Clifford Jarvis:

Hub-Tones (1963)Personnel:Freddie Hubbard (Trumpet)James Spaulding (Alto saxophone)Herbie Hancock (Piano)Reggie Workman (Bass)Clifford Jarvis (Drums)--Alfred...

JR

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
            • Dec 2010

Thanks again! I've got all those early Freddie Hubbard Bluenote original albums which I haven't listened to for a long while. I was planning to give them away as I've got a cheap CD box set which covers it. Now, listening to that again, I definitely won't!

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
              • Dec 2010

I was not aware of the connection between the artists of the Dolphy album covers and the Freddie Hubbard composition. I love the Blue Note cover art and I think that ECM sometimes comes up wtih some brilliant covers too. Both have atwork which conforms to a "house style." You can also appreciate the identity "impulse" had.
              You can see why Blue Note was lauded given that so many other labels did not really bother with the cover artwork. Maybe only CBS had the budget for something more iconic.

Cover art seems to be far better these days although I think that a lot of originality has gone out of it. You can only expect it to decline durther as people plump for downloads. Photographs seem more popular these days and, as I said earlier, if you get a cover like Pat Martino''s "Formidable" album, this really matches the aspirations of the music inside. For me, the Dolphy photos match the "Coltrane's sound" cover for shear ugliness. The "photographic " portraits in black and white that some of the smaller labels put out in the 50s and 60s reflected the budget they had to play with yet you cannot help but to think that they controbuted to some discs being obscure. I don't think this simply applies to "Modern Jazz." You can find equally uninspired covers with all kinds of jazz.

As a consumer of jazz records, I think a decent album cover is all part of the marketing. Personally, the Dlophy discs have transcended the dreadful covers they were lumbered with. The Jenning's paintings just seem amateur to me.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                • Dec 2010

‘Elvin!’ – Elvin Jones
                with Thad Jones, Frank Wess, Frank Foster, Hank Jones & Art Davis
                Riverside (rec. 1961/62)

Comment

• Jazzrook
                  • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
                  I was not aware of the connection between the artists of the Dolphy album covers and the Freddie Hubbard composition. I love the Blue Note cover art and I think that ECM sometimes comes up wtih some brilliant covers too. Both have atwork which conforms to a "house style." You can also appreciate the identity "impulse" had.
                  You can see why Blue Note was lauded given that so many other labels did not really bother with the cover artwork. Maybe only CBS had the budget for something more iconic.

Cover art seems to be far better these days although I think that a lot of originality has gone out of it. You can only expect it to decline durther as people plump for downloads. Photographs seem more popular these days and, as I said earlier, if you get a cover like Pat Martino''s "Formidable" album, this really matches the aspirations of the music inside. For me, the Dolphy photos match the "Coltrane's sound" cover for shear ugliness. The "photographic " portraits in black and white that some of the smaller labels put out in the 50s and 60s reflected the budget they had to play with yet you cannot help but to think that they controbuted to some discs being obscure. I don't think this simply applies to "Modern Jazz." You can find equally uninspired covers with all kinds of jazz.

As a consumer of jazz records, I think a decent album cover is all part of the marketing. Personally, the Dlophy discs have transcended the dreadful covers they were lumbered with. The Jenning's paintings just seem amateur to me.
                  A fascinating article/interview about Richard Prophet Jennings:

JR

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

JR
                    Slightly Dali-ish, no?

Comment

• Jazzrook
                      • Mar 2011

Grachan Moncur III with Lee Morgan, Jackie McLean, Bobby Hutcherson, Bob Cranshaw & Tony Williams playing 'Air Raid' from the 1963 album 'Evolution':

Provided to YouTube by Universal Music GroupAir Raid (2008 Remaster) · Grachan Moncur IIIEvolution℗ 2008 Blue Note RecordsReleased on: 2008-01-01Associated ...

JR

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Grachan Moncur III with Lee Morgan, Jackie McLean, Bobby Hutcherson, Bob Cranshaw & Tony Williams playing 'Air Raid' from the 1963 album 'Evolution':

Provided to YouTube by Universal Music GroupAir Raid (2008 Remaster) · Grachan Moncur IIIEvolution℗ 2008 Blue Note RecordsReleased on: 2008-01-01Associated ...

JR
                        that album - I really should get it.

Comment

• Jazzrook
                          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                          that album - I really should get it.
                          Also, if you don't already have it, the follow-up album 'Some Other Stuff' with Moncur, Wayne Shorter, Herbie Hancock, Cecil McBee & Tony Williams:

Provided to YouTube by Universal Music GroupThe Twins (Remastered) · Grachan Moncur IIISome Other Stuff℗ 2009 Blue Note RecordsReleased on: 2009-01-01Associa...

JR

Comment

• RichardB
                            Banned
                            • Nov 2021

On Bandcamp: 1990s archive recordings from Dave Draper's free jazz big band the Porkestra:

... featuring many London improvisation luminaries such as Roland Ramanan, Caroline Kraabel, Alan Wilkinson, Alan Tomlinson, Oren Marshall and Steve Noble

Comment

• Stanfordian
                              • Dec 2010

‘Blackjack’ - Donald Byrd
                              with Sonny Red, Hank Mobley, Cedar Walton, Walter Booker & Billy Higgins
                              Blue Note (1967)

Comment

• Stanfordian
                                • Dec 2010

‘Fearless Frank Foster’ – Frank Foster
                                with Virgil Jones, Al Dailey, Bob Cunningham & Alan Dawson
                                Prestige (1965)

Comment

Working...
                                X