X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
    Would like to have heard that, but YouTube or someone seem to have scrambled the sound subsequently. Copyright? My recollection of DHS apart from seeing him with Graham Bond a few times, was him coming down the stairs at the old Place when Mike Westbrook was playing, asking to sit it, Westbrook being a bit reluctant as it was the orchestra/written, Smith doing so anyway and being fantastic. Really impressive. Looking back, I know he had an affinity for the blues but I wish he'd cut more straight jazz records. His autobiography is also excellent.
    That's strange, Bluesnik, because it sounds pretty much OK from that link on my machine, with no change in settings, the only fault the bass being rather low in the mix for the first number, only becoming audible halfway through Jordu, which follows.

Here to make up for it is some Lol Coxhill accompanied by John Edwards and Steve Noble in The Herb Garden in Deptford Park back in 2007 - with impromptu choreographics from John's little daughter, if I'm not mistaken!

9 September 2007Lol Coxhill, Steve Noble and John Edwards, featuring John's daughter as guest Snow White dancer. Filmed at The Herb Garden, Deptford, London.

The title of the tune totally escapes me, at the moment. Oh yes. it's "Squeeze Me"!
    Last edited by Serial_Apologist; 27-10-21, 16:33.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
      That's strange, Bluesnik, because it sounds pretty much OK from that link on my machine, with no change in settings, the only fault the bass being rather low in the mix for the first number, only becoming audible halfway through Jordu, which follows.

Here to make up for it is some Lol Coxhill accompanied by John Edwards and Steve Noble in The Herb Garden in Deptford Park back in 2007 - with impromptu choreographics from John's little daughter, if I'm not mistaken!

9 September 2007Lol Coxhill, Steve Noble and John Edwards, featuring John's daughter as guest Snow White dancer. Filmed at The Herb Garden, Deptford, London.

The title of the tune totally escapes me, at the moment. Oh yes. it's "Squeeze Me"!
      I think then it must be my phones, Nokia and Motorola, both fairly new, and I've updated YouTube. All I get is a scrambled sound like interference, and only on that upload. Weird!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
        I think then it must be my phones, Nokia and Motorola, both fairly new, and I've updated YouTube. All I get is a scrambled sound like interference, and only on that upload. Weird!
        Perhaps someone you know has a computer or laptop. Bluesie.

I just signed up to AllAboutJazz. All About Time too, I hear someone say. It turned out that someone from Argentina I knew well back in the 1960s but had completely lost touch with writes for the journal; I've sent her a message via their posting system.

Comment

• Stanfordian
          • Dec 2010

‘A Love Supreme’ - John Coltrane
          with Jimmy Garrison, Elvin Jones & McCoy Tyner
          Impulse! (1964)

Comment

• Quarky
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

Unsquare Dance?

Comment

• Jazzrook
              • Mar 2011

Philly pianist John Dennis(1930-63) with Charles Mingus & Max Roach playing 'Machajo' from the 1955 album 'New Piano Expressions':

Provided to YouTube by Universal Music GroupMachajo (Instrumental) · John DennisNew Piano Expressions-Debut Rarities, Vol. 5℗ 1955 Debut Records/Fantasy, Inc...

JR

Comment

• elmo
                • Nov 2010

[B]Lee Morgan, Joe Henderson, Ronnie Mathews, Vic Sproles and Billy Higgins playing a Wayne Shorter composition "Edda" from the Blue Note album "The Rumproller". I don't think Wayne ever recorded this tune himself? anyway this is a lovely tune with great soloing by all.

elmo

Comment

• Jazzrook
                  • Mar 2011

Trevor Watts with Jeff Clyne & John Stevens playing 'Tales of Sadness' from the 1969 album 'Prayer For Peace'.
                  High time this British jazz classic was reissued.

JR

Comment

• Joseph K
                    Banned
                    • Oct 2017

Allan Holdsworth - Metal Fatigue

Comment

• burning dog
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
                      Trevor Watts with Jeff Clyne & John Stevens playing 'Tales of Sadness' from the 1969 album 'Prayer For Peace'.
                      High time this British jazz classic was reissued.

JR
                      Love that record!!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by burning dog View Post
                        Love that record!!
                        Long time no hear from, BD!

Comment

• Stanfordian
                          • Dec 2010

‘Giant Steps’ - John Coltrane
                          with Tommy Flanagan, Wynton Kelly, Paul Chambers, Art Taylor, Jimmy Cobb, Cedar Walton & Lex Humphries
                          Atlantic (1959)

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                            • Dec 2010

I have been listening to the new Kate McGarry record called "What ot wear in the dark" which also features her guitar-playing husband Keith Ganz as well as trumpeter Ron Miles and Gary Versace. Clrance Penna dn Obed Calvaire share drum duties.

I first came aware of Kate McGarry through her appearances with John Hollenbeck's Large Ensembles but the other album I have by her was a bit of a culture shock to me as the music almost seemed to have Folk / pop associations which hid the fact that her approach to singing is pretty radical. The new album similarly takes a Broadway standard (thsi time "Dancing in the dark") to the point of destruction as well as overing songs by the likes of Joni Mitchell. Donald Fagen, Don Henley, Paul Simon and Leonard Cohen. It is difficult to really explain her singing as she is so unique. You can hear some samples here:-

With 7 critically acclaimed CDs and 3 Grammy nominations (2009, 2019, 2021) Kate McGarry has become recognized as a jazz artist who brings authenticity and vitality to every song regardless of genre.

The band behind her is excellent but I think the appeal is how the originals are pulled apart and twisted in to something else. There is an unlikely version of Paul Simon's "59th Brudge Street Theme" which begins as a hell-for-leather dialogue over a driving rhythm section but them collapses into a very relaxed groove. I think I would describe her music as burning on a very slow fuse and I find that she is almost like a cross between the kind of Norma Winstone's "outside" treatment of pop tunes, the willingness of Betty Carter to take liberties with the melody and perhaps as savvy as Kurt Elling. She also seems to use a lot of poetry in her work. All of this seems to be refracted through an almost folk / pop feel.

I am surprised no one else seems to have mentioned her on this board. She has been around for about 20 years and whilst I am still very enthused by Dianne Reeves and Cassandra Wilson, I feel that Kate McGarry is pretty original and very overlooked.

Comment

• Joseph K
                              Banned
                              • Oct 2017

Allan Holdsworth - Warsaw Summer Jazz Days '98

Comment

• Quarky
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
                                I have been listening to the new Kate McGarry record called "What to wear in the dark" which also features her guitar-playing husband Keith Ganz as well as trumpeter Ron Miles and Gary Versace. Clrance Penna dn Obed Calvaire share drum duties.

I am surprised no one else seems to have mentioned her on this board. She has been around for about 20 years and whilst I am still very enthused by Dianne Reeves and Cassandra Wilson, I feel that Kate McGarry is pretty original and very overlooked.

Thanks for link. I'm finding, from my limited experience, that current UK/ European female Jazz singers have more to offer than their US counterparts.

Comment

Working...
                                X