X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by burning dog View Post
    The Bow Bells theory surely depends on what day or time of day someone was born - on a quiet Sunday with the wind in the right direction...?
    These days probably equally depending on the sounds ricochetting from all sides as they bounce of tower blocks!

Comment

• Stanfordian
      • Dec 2010

‘Brother’ Jack McDuff with Jimmy Forrest, Grant Green & Ben Dixon
      ‘The Honeydripper’
      Prestige (1961)

Comment

• CGR
        • Aug 2016

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
        ... Never really liked the idea of musicals ...
        Many of our greatest jazz tunes came from musicals. I always find it interesting to go back and dig out an original or early version. For example "Softly As In A Morning Sunrise" is always a good tune for a jam session but go back and listen to the original, its quite amusing.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
        Last edited by CGR; 25-01-17, 20:22.

Comment

• Stanfordian
          • Dec 2010

Sonny Rollins with Tommy Flanagan, Doug Watkins & Max Roach
          ‘Saxophone Colossus’
          Prestige (1956)

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by CGR View Post
            Many of our greatest jazz tunes came from musicals. I always find it interesting to go back and dig out an original version. For example "Softly As In A Morning Sunrise" is always a good tune for a jam session but go back and listen to the original, its quite amusing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wh6JbpWhYSo
            My Favorite Things" being another classic example.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
              Ex-member
              • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
              My Favorite Things" being another classic example.

(the best example, IMVHO)

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                • Dec 2010

Been listening to Andrew Hill's terrific album "Dusk" which I think if the best album I have by this pianist. It is absolutely terrific and features a crack band that incudes Marty Erhlich, Greg Tardy, Scott Colley, Billy Drummond and Ron Horton. I wonder what happened to the latter as he is another trumpeter who seems to have fallen by the wayside. At one time Horton was on a good number of records and seemed to be the horn player to watch out for on his instrument.

I find that "Dusk" really nails everything I love about Andrew Hill's work. His sense of rhythm is just fantastic , always seeming to have a crab-like relationship with the groove rather like you would expect Duke Ellington to play in an avant garde setting. I just find his approach right in the tradition of the music but so original at the same time. He seemed to sound better with the passing of time and, I suppose, if I could still play the piano, he would be the pianist I would most like to emulate. "Dusk" opens the record with an almost Ellingtonian feel to it, the whole composition hinging upon Colley's bass figure. I particularly like the tart alto playing but the whole band is very special on this record. I also like the furious "15/8" which does what it says on the case with over a furious groove. For me, this disc is even better than his legendary Blue Notes and I always felt it was the first "classic" album of the 21st century. I have a feeling that Jazzrook has this disc but it should seriously be in both his and Bluesnik's collection if this is not the case. Andrew Hill is the final part in the trinity of Ellington and Monk.

I am tempted by the Soul Note box set too .

Comment

• Stanfordian
                  • Dec 2010

Johnny Griffin with John Coltrane, Hank Mobley, Lee Morgan, Paul Chambers & Art Blakey
                  ‘A Blowin’ Session’
                  Blue Note (1957)

Comment

• Jazzrook
                    • Mar 2011

Gigi Gryce & Donald Byrd co-led the 'Jazz Lab Quintet' and recorded several excellent albums during 1957.
                    Here's Gryce's memorable classic 'Minority' recorded 60 years ago on February 27, 1957 with Wade Legge(piano); Wendell Marshall(bass) & Art Taylor(drums):

JR

Comment

• gurnemanz
                      • Nov 2010

Enjoy dipping in here though not a fully signed-up jazz freak. I've recently discovered a good online jazz station from Radio-France fip which I listen to quite often - autour du jazz. Good quality with no announcements. There are other good channels on the same site.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                        • Dec 2010

Kenny Dorham with Sonny Rollins, Hank Jones, Oscar Pettiford, Max Roach & Betty Glamann
                        ‘Jazz Contrasts’
                        Riverside (1957)

Comment

• Stanfordian
                          • Dec 2010

Horace Silver with Blue Mitchell, Junior Cook, Gene Taylor & Roy Brooks
                          ‘Silver's Serenade’
                          Blue Note (1963)

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Evan Parker/Marcus Stockhausen duets on Mixing It from 1992, on a cassette.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                              • Dec 2010

Ben Webster - "Soulville" (Verve mid 50s) especially "Time on my hands" and "Where are you" which are exquisite.

BN.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                                Ex-member
                                • Sep 2013

Bobby Hutcherson - Total Eclipse

I’m enjoying this BH album more than the others I have (they’re all great!). I also have Dialogue, Happenings & Oblique.

Last edited by Beef Oven!; 29-01-17, 15:04. Reason: added album cover for people to look at

Comment

Working...
                                X