Clear All
  • Stanfordian
    • Dec 2010

Lee Morgan Quintet - ‘Take Twelve’
    Lee Morgan with Clifford Jordon, Barry Harris, Bob Cranshaw & Louis Hayes
    Jazzland (1962)

Gregory Porter performs 'It's Probably Me'
    At the Polar Music Prize Ceremony 2017
    'It’s Probably Me' (Gordon Sumner, Eric Clapton, Michael Kamen)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSzICmwmRsA
    Last edited by Stanfordian; 30-06-21, 15:50.

Comment

• Stanfordian
      • Dec 2010

‘Wahoo!’ - Duke Pearson
      with Donald Byrd, Joe Henderson, Bob Cranshaw & Mickey Roker
      Blue Note (1964)

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Comment

• Stanfordian
          • Dec 2010

‘Search for the New Land’ - Lee Morgan
          with Wayne Shorter, Grant Green, Reggie Workman & Billy Higgins
          Blue Note (1964)

Comment

• Joseph K
            Banned
            • Oct 2017

Wayne Shorter - The Soothsayer

Comment

• Joseph K
              Banned
              • Oct 2017

John McLaughlin - Devotion

Comment

• Jazzrook
                • Mar 2011

The New York Art Quartet: John Tchicai, Roswell Rudd, Reggie Workman & Milford Graves playing 'Everything Happens To Me' from the hard-to-find 1965 album 'Mohawk':

http://www.discogs.com/New-York-Art-Quartet-The-Mohawk/release/2750839

JR

Comment

• Joseph K
                  Banned
                  • Oct 2017

Miles Davis - What I Say - fifth disk of the Cellar Door sessions

Comment

• elmo
                    • Nov 2010

Just bought this album of previously unissued Harold Land recorded at the Penthouse in Seattle in 1962/4/5. This track has Carmell Jones, Buddy Montgomery, Monk Montgomery and Joe Farnsworth. Some of the other tracks are graced with Hampton Hawes and Philly Joe Jones - very good all round including the obscure pianist John Houston.

elmo

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by elmo View Post
                      Just bought this album of previously unissued Harold Land recorded at the Penthouse in Seattle in 1962/4/5. This track has Carmell Jones, Buddy Montgomery, Monk Montgomery and Joe Farnsworth. Some of the other tracks are graced with Hampton Hawes and Philly Joe Jones - very good all round including the obscure pianist John Houston.

elmo
                      This is the album that I had read the positive reviews about. I really like Harold Land's playing. Another album of his that I have is the "Live at Unkel Po's" which includes a line up of Bobby Hutcherson, Curtis Fuller and Cedar Walton. The first half of the opening track is compromised by the balance not being quite correct but the whole disc picks up mid-way through following an exceptional solo by Cedar Walton. It think the recording comes from about 1979 and is otherwise pretty decent but it underscored the high standard these musicians were working at on what was probably just a work-a-day gig for them. Walton, a musician who used to come in for a bit of stick on the old chatroom, is something of a revelation on this record which is described as being by "The Timeless all-stars." (Timeless being a record label from the 70's that was amongst those that served as guardians against the onslaught of fusion and jazz-rock which was prevalent at the time.

Comment

• Joseph K
                        Banned
                        • Oct 2017

I love this so much, and it's been a while since I last listened to it!

Comment

• Joseph K
                          Banned
                          • Oct 2017

RIP Rick Laird.

Comment

• Jazzrook
                            • Mar 2011

Julius Hemphill, Baikida Carroll, Abdul Wadud & Philip Wilson playing 'Dogon A.D.' in 1972:

JR

Comment

• Joseph K
                              Banned
                              • Oct 2017

Wayne Shorter - The All Seeing Eye

Comment

• elmo
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
                                This is the album that I had read the positive reviews about. I really like Harold Land's playing. Another album of his that I have is the "Live at Unkel Po's" which includes a line up of Bobby Hutcherson, Curtis Fuller and Cedar Walton. The first half of the opening track is compromised by the balance not being quite correct but the whole disc picks up mid-way through following an exceptional solo by Cedar Walton. It think the recording comes from about 1979 and is otherwise pretty decent but it underscored the high standard these musicians were working at on what was probably just a work-a-day gig for them. Walton, a musician who used to come in for a bit of stick on the old chatroom, is something of a revelation on this record which is described as being by "The Timeless all-stars." (Timeless being a record label from the 70's that was amongst those that served as guardians against the onslaught of fusion and jazz-rock which was prevalent at the time.
                                The "Timeless all stars" had a great line up I saw them at the St Davids hall in Cardiff back in the 80's. Unfortunately it was not one of their best nights not helped by a poor sound engineer, I could hardly hear Harold Land and Bobby Hutcherson but Billy Higgins was well miked and sounded great.

I would have loved to have heard the Hutcherson/Land quintet with Stanley Cowell and Joe Chambers, don' t remember them playing in this country

elmo

Comment

Working...
                                X