• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joseph K
    Banned
    • Oct 2017

Herbie Hancock - Thrust

Through headphones, owing to the time of day! But I think I'm enjoying it even more being closer to the music.

RIP bassist Paul Jackson.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
      • Dec 2010

"Thrust" is an excellent album. I was not aware that Paul Jackson has died this week and was sorry to hear this news.

The Headhunters records are really vehicles to demonstrate Herbie Hancock's incredible harmonic concept. Initially I was not enthused by them and it takes a while to appreciate what is going on. "Thrust" is the best album and is the more interesting of the two. I think that it is the harmonic element of Hancock's playing which is the main draw here and have always felt that Bennie Maupin was slightly underused in the studio. For me, these albums are more interesting than say Weather Report's work in this era because of Hancock's playing benefitting from the concept. To my ears, Zawinul often seemed to be trying to replicate a big band approach with the group's reduced number. A lot of his music seems pre-arranged whereas Hancock's concept has improvisation at the heart.

I remember a discussion on this board about ten years ago regarding freely improvised piano playing where there seemed to be a consensus that Cecil Taylor's atonal approach offered the apogee of how adventurous piano playing could be. In my opinion, I would suggest that Hancock's playing is no less radical than Taylor's in this respect but I have always felt that his use of harmony is second to none and , for this reason, I admire his playing more than Taylor's.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
        "Thrust" is an excellent album. I was not aware that Paul Jackson has died this week and was sorry to hear this news.

The Headhunters records are really vehicles to demonstrate Herbie Hancock's incredible harmonic concept. Initially I was not enthused by them and it takes a while to appreciate what is going on. "Thrust" is the best album and is the more interesting of the two. I think that it is the harmonic element of Hancock's playing which is the main draw here and have always felt that Bennie Maupin was slightly underused in the studio. For me, these albums are more interesting than say Weather Report's work in this era because of Hancock's playing benefitting from the concept. To my ears, Zawinul often seemed to be trying to replicate a big band approach with the group's reduced number. A lot of his music seems pre-arranged whereas Hancock's concept has improvisation at the heart.

I remember a discussion on this board about ten years ago regarding freely improvised piano playing where there seemed to be a consensus that Cecil Taylor's atonal approach offered the apogee of how adventurous piano playing could be. In my opinion, I would suggest that Hancock's playing is no less radical than Taylor's in this respect but I have always felt that his use of harmony is second to none and , for this reason, I admire his playing more than Taylor's.
        I saw Headhunters in 1974 at the Vic Rooms in Bristol - that was when Thrust had just been released, and the band played music from it and the still-more famous first release. It was unbelievably loud - not in the bass department but the highest frequencies. We left at the end totally brain wiped, and I've never quite forgiven Herbie for that. Nevertheless the concept and combination, basically layering the synthesised blips of Kraftwerk over Bootsy Collins-type funk bass figures and then shuffling the rhythmic co-ordinates unexpectedly, with added interest and tension brought about by how far any improvisation could be stretched, were an interesting experiment - one that fulfilled its leader's love of technology, while at the same time revealing more of his humorous side than hitherto. Commentators have nevertheless noted that his own improvising language was adapted rather than progressed, and Hancock himself acknowledged the limitations imposed by the static harmonic format. Subsequently he showed emerging hip-hop how it could be done (Rockit), co-ran the acoustic VSOP quintet, amalgamated the two sides of his creativity into one, and found he could make light of the precision and even send up up his earlier efforts - by which time jazz critics who had decried Herbie for "betraying" jazz in the early 70s had a new angle to beat him with!

Comment

• Joseph K
          Banned
          • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
          Commentators have nevertheless noted that his own improvising language was adapted rather than progressed, and Hancock himself acknowledged the limitations imposed by the static harmonic format.
          Not all the tunes are static harmonically though, are they? Thrust features more changes than Headhunters.

Interesting that you should say they were unbelievably loud, I sort of had the opposite problem at the Barbican November 2019 - Herbie's piano didn't cut adequately through the mix. I didn't mention reporting back on here, I kept the disappointment to myself, but the acoustics were a bit crap.

Comment

• Jazzrook
            • Mar 2011

Ornette Coleman with Don Cherry, Charlie Haden & Ed Blackwell playing 'The Legend of Bebop' in New York on July 26, 1960:

Provided to YouTube by Rhino AtlanticThe Legend of Bebop · Ornette ColemanThe Art Of The Improvisers℗ 1970 Atlantic Recording CorporationDrums: Billy Higgins...

JR

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Comment

• elmo
                • Nov 2010

Listening to lots of tracks by the tenor player Bill Barron, a fine musician who seemed equally at home with the (1960's) avant garde as he was with post bop. Can't understand why he is so neglected; he would have fitted really well into the Blue Note catalogue of the likes of Andrew Hill, Grachan Moncur, Dolphy, Cecil Taylor etc. I think he would have fitted into Miles great second quintet between Sam Rivers and Wayne's stints.

Here Is Bill with Ted Curson (also underrated) George Arvanitas, Herb Bushler and Dick Berk recorded in 1965

elmo

Comment

• elmo
                  • Nov 2010

The Big Challenge " Alphonse & Gaston" Rex Stewart, Cootie Williams, J C Higginbotham, Lawrence Brown, Coleman Hawkins, Bud Freeman, Billy Bauer, Hank Jones, Milt Hinton, Gus Johnson.

Great line up, great music.

elmo

Comment

• Jazzrook
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by elmo View Post
                    Listening to lots of tracks by the tenor player Bill Barron, a fine musician who seemed equally at home with the (1960's) avant garde as he was with post bop. Can't understand why he is so neglected; he would have fitted really well into the Blue Note catalogue of the likes of Andrew Hill, Grachan Moncur, Dolphy, Cecil Taylor etc. I think he would have fitted into Miles great second quintet between Sam Rivers and Wayne's stints.

Here Is Bill with Ted Curson (also underrated) George Arvanitas, Herb Bushler and Dick Berk recorded in 1965

elmo
                    Here's Bill Barron & Ted Curson with Buell Neidlinger & Dennis Charles on Cecil Taylor's 1959 album 'Love For Sale':

Ted Curson (tp), Bill Barron (ts), Cecil Taylor (p), Buell Neidlinger (b), Denis Charles (ds)Album:" Cecil Taylor / Love For Sale "Recorded:April 15, 1959

JR
                    Last edited by Jazzrook; 21-03-21, 06:20.

Comment

• Jazzrook
                      • Mar 2011

Steve Lacy & Eric Watson playing 'Peggy's Blue Skylight' from the album 'Spirit of Mingus' recorded in Paris, 1991:

JR

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
                        Here's Bill Barron & Ted Curson with Buell Neidlinger & Dennis Charles on Cecil Taylor's 1959 album 'Love For Sale':

Ted Curson (tp), Bill Barron (ts), Cecil Taylor (p), Buell Neidlinger (b), Denis Charles (ds)Album:" Cecil Taylor / Love For Sale "Recorded:April 15, 1959

JR
                        Ah, Bill Barron - yes! I thought I hadn't come across him before... Will listen to the other clips later, many thanks.

Comment

• Joseph K
                          Banned
                          • Oct 2017

Today, while Spring Cleaning half my room:

John Coltrane - Interstellar Space

Miles Davis - Bitches Brew (only disk one)

John Coltrane - A Love Supreme (live - only Acknowledgement & Resolution)

Interval - tea

Weather Report - Boogie Woogie Waltz

Herbie Hancock - Chameleon

(the last two were played on my phone via youtube since I had to disassemble my desk to move it, which involved obviously taking my Hi-fi off it)

John Coltrane - Impressions live from Antibes 1965 - his last recorded version of this tune as far as I know, it is quite surreal and spiritual

And, lastly and currently: Jonas Hellborg, Shawn Lane and Jeff Sipe - Personae. I absolutely love this album. Check out the title track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjUaLpigdUk

Oh and Serial Apologist: No, I did not hoover while listening to Bitches Brew.

I am looking forward to next Sunday, when I'll clean the other half of my room!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
                            Today, while Spring Cleaning half my room:

John Coltrane - Interstellar Space

Miles Davis - Bitches Brew (only disk one)

John Coltrane - A Love Supreme (live - only Acknowledgement & Resolution)

Interval - tea

Weather Report - Boogie Woogie Waltz

Herbie Hancock - Chameleon

(the last two were played on my phone via youtube since I had to disassemble my desk to move it, which involved obviously taking my Hi-fi off it)

John Coltrane - Impressions live from Antibes 1965 - his last recorded version of this tune as far as I know, it is quite surreal and spiritual

And, lastly and currently: Jonas Hellborg, Shawn Lane and Jeff Sipe - Personae. I absolutely love this album. Check out the title track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjUaLpigdUk

Oh and Serial Apologist: No, I did not hoover while listening to Bitches Brew.

I am looking forward to next Sunday, when I'll clean the other half of my room!
                            Wot - no sherry before dinner?

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                              • Dec 2010

Johnny Nicholas... "House Cleaning Blues"

Comment

• Jazzrook
                                • Mar 2011

Bill Barron with Booker Ervin, Kenny Barron, Larry Ridley & Andrew Cyrille playing 'Now's The Time' in 1962:

Tenors Bill Barron and Booker Ervin team up on this frequently exciting quintet outing with pianist Kenny Barron, bassist Larry Ridley and drummer Andrew Cyr...

JR

Comment

Working...
                                X