X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stanfordian
    • Dec 2010

Got this out to play later!

Dexter Gordon with Freddie Hubbard, Barry Harris, Bob Cranshaw & Billy Higgins
    ‘Clubhouse’
    Blue Note Classic (1965)

Comment

• Stanfordian
      • Dec 2010

I've picked this CD out today:

Sonny Stitt & Brother Jack McDuff, Leonard Gaskin & Herbie Lovelle

‘Soul Shack’
      Prestige (1963)

Comment

• Stanfordian
        • Dec 2010

For tonight:

Kenny Burrell with Eddie Bert, Illinois Jacquet,
        Leo Wright, Hank Jones, George Duvivier, Major Holley,
        Osie Johnson, Louis Hayes, Jimmy Crawford & Joe Dukes

'Bluesin' Around'
        Columbia (1962)

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
          • Dec 2010

Two CDs for me this Christmas, the latest Teduschi Trucks band offering and the Angelique Kidjo album where she is accompanied by a symphony orchestra and choir. It is interesting to see where the TTB is pitched musically as there are elements of jazz in their (Tim Lefevre on bass) but the music also encompasses soul, funk and even Indian ragas. I am a big fan of this band even if there do have a strong commercial leaning. They are terrific live but the studio albums serve to demonstrate the massive gulf between them and nearly all standard fair pop. It is a pretty slick outfit.

The Angelique Kidjo disc is pretty superb though. I think that there are few singers with such a terrific voice as hers (maybe only Ella Fitzgerald and Dianne Reeves come anywhere close) and hearing her backed by such a large orchestra only serves to make her voice sound even more beautiful. I am not fussed that she isn't jazz and would rather listen to her music than practically all other "jazz" singers.

Comment

• Stanfordian
            • Dec 2010

Gigi Gryce with Mickey Roker, Richard Gene Williams, Richard Rylands & Reggie Workman
            ‘The Rat Race Blues’
            New Jazz (1960)

Comment

• Stanfordian
              • Dec 2010

I'll play this later on tonight.

Freddie Hubbard with Tina Brookes, McCoy Tyner, Sam Jones & Clifford Jarvis
              ‘Open Sesame’
              Blue Note (1960)

Comment

• Stanfordian
                • Dec 2010

Bobby Hutcherson with Herbie Hancock, Bob Cranshaw & Joe Chambers
                ‘Happenings’
                Blue Note (1966)

Comment

• burning dog
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                  Bobby Hutcherson with Herbie Hancock, Bob Cranshaw & Joe Chambers
                  ‘Happenings’
                  Blue Note (1966)

One of my all time favourites..

Ian is a fan as well I think

Wish there was a "Radio Stanford"

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by burning dog View Post

Wish there was a "Radio Stanford"
                    At one time, not so long ago really, that sort of thing used to be possible from the tops of tower blocks in places with names such as Peckham and Brixton - then the Authorities put a stop to it all - or most of. Meant I could once more tune in to Radio 3 etc...

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                      Ex-member
                      • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                      At one time, not so long ago really, that sort of thing used to be possible from the tops of tower blocks in places with names such as Peckham and Brixton - then the Authorities put a stop to it all - or most of. Meant I could once more tune in to Radio 3 etc...
                      I remember it well - used to tune in. Can’t we get together and have another go at it?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                        I remember it well - used to tune in. Can’t we get together and have another go at it?
                        My mate retired from doing it after one night finding himself confronted in his car by four masked gunmen from a competitor station...

I think Resonance fm is still going - they're on our patch and occasional really good stuff issues therefrom (usually when I'm not listening) - but they're legit.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                          • Dec 2010

There was a pirate station in Brighton that directly relayed Radio France, France Musique, FIP etc live on FM. The UK "authorities" closed them down but Radio France invited them over as "heroes"! Very good stations.

BN.

Comment

• burning dog
                            • Dec 2010

There was station in Harlesden like this, run by a Clothes Shop in the High Street (you could take adverts - tapes or scripts into them) Not sure where the broadcasts were from.

The station was aimed at an Afro Caribbean/Mixed audience.

They had "Jazz" hours, Acid Jazz alternating with "trad stuff" (their description) Wynton, Courteney, Young Lions plus some Miles Mingus Trane etc. Interestingly their Reggae and Soul/Neo-Soul shows were more popular than the Hip-Hop/House etc. Most requested artists were the likes of Gregory Isaacs and Luther Vandross.

PS

The request slots used to play this song regularly with about a dozen dedications

Last edited by burning dog; 02-01-17, 13:25.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                              Ex-member
                              • Sep 2013

My mate retired from doing it after one night finding himself confronted in his car by four masked gunmen from a competitor station...
                              Ok, forget it!

Let’s get an Ice-Cream Van instead!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                                Ok, forget it!

Let’s get an Ice-Cream Van instead!
                                Around here they regularly break the 15-second or whatever it is) jingle duration limiting rule. Not wishing to be done over by a crowd of mums and small children I always refrain from complaining.

I heard once that Benjamin Britten had taken local Aldeburgh ice cream vendors to court over this, or threatened to, on account of them interfering with his inspiration!

Comment

Working...
                                X