X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jazzrook
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
    Amazing, wonderful stuff! One wishes we had more of such forward-looking Twardzik big band arrangements.
    There's some speculation that this 1954 track influenced Frank Zappa.
    "Both Twardzik and Zappa liked Debussy. Zappa liked Cecil Taylor, who liked Twardzik. All these connections may seem very tenuous. Listen to 'The Fable of Mable' and make up your own mind."

From 'Zappa and Jazz' by Geoff Wills.

It sounds to me like the kind of thing Zappa would have written:

I do not own this. All clips and audio are property of their respective authors. No infringement intended.--INFOStudio Tan(Frank Zappa, LP, DiscReet DSK 2291...

JR

Comment

• Joseph K
      Banned
      • Oct 2017

I was part of an online clinic with Julian Lage last sunday and he mentioned this album as something he was listening to a lot recently; I admit, I hadn't until now checked out either Lester Young or Oscar Peterson...

Lester Young with the Oscar Peterson Trio Recorded: On November 28, 195201 Ad Lib Blues 0:0002 I Can't Get Started 5:5403 Just You, Just Me 9:3504 Almost Lik...

Comment

• Jazzrook
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
        I was part of an online clinic with Julian Lage last sunday and he mentioned this album as something he was listening to a lot recently; I admit, I hadn't until now checked out either Lester Young or Oscar Peterson...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNl63ARx0DM
        Lester Young & Miles Davis playing 'Lady Be Good' live in Paris, 1956:

November 2, 1956Salle Pleyel, Paris, FranceBirdland All-Stars in Europe: Miles Davis (tpt); Lester Young (ts); René Urtreger (p); Pierre Michelot (b); Christ...

JR

Comment

• Joseph K
          Banned
          • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
          I think next I'll start listening my way through the boxed set Thelonious Monk: The Complete Album Collection 1954-57.
          Disk 2 of this, which comprises the albums 'Thelonious Monk Trio' and 'Monk'.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Right now JRR: Jarrett playing Over the Rainbow. Has anybody heard Bud Powell's late solo version of this tune? Talk about manic!!!

Earlier Miles Smiles, followed by two Lee Morgans, also from '66 - Cornbread and Delightfullee, and Coltrane's Live at the Village Vanguard Again! for after lunch listening.

Here's an open challenge: try listening to Ginger Bread Boy - the version on the Miles Smiles album - and figure out if the band actually adheres to the blues changes. I reckon they do, though I've had arguments with leading musicians who insist the band goes completely free from the changes. In the transition before Herbie comes in for his solo Ron restores order by repeating on the tonic note so he will know where he is.
            Last edited by Serial_Apologist; 27-09-20, 16:51.

Comment

• teamsaint
              • Nov 2010

Right now JRR: Jarrett playing Over the Rainbow. Has anybody heard Bud Powell's late solo version of this tune? Talk about manic!!!

Earlier Miles Smiles, followed by two Lee Morgans, also from '66 - Cornbread and Delightfullee, and Coltrane's Live at the Village Vanguard Again! for after lunch listening.

Here's an open challenge: try listening to Ginger Bread Boy - the version on the Miles Smiles album - and figure out if the band actually adheres to the blues changes. I reckon they do, though I've had arguments with leading musicians who insist the band goes completely free from the changes. In the transition before Herbie comes in for his solo Ron restores order by repeating on the tonic note so he will know where he is.
              Oh the Mina Agossi “Voodoo Chile “was briiliant. Don’t know her at all of course, but its right up my street.
              Just streaming the album.........sounds immensely promising.
              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• LMcD
                • Sep 2017

My favourite rendition of 'Over The Rainbow' remains Eva Cassidy's, but I really liked Keith Jarrett's version. I'm finally managing to remember that JRR is now on SUNDAY!

Comment

• Joseph K
                  Banned
                  • Oct 2017

Here's an open challenge: try listening to Ginger Bread Boy - the version on the Miles Smiles album - and figure out if the band actually adheres to the blues changes. I reckon they do, though I've had arguments with leading musicians who insist the band goes completely free from the changes.
                  I'd say they do... I've listened to that album quite a lot, even transcribed some of it (need to start doing that again). I think they kind of playfully suggest the changes in a way that is not explicit (and to some extent avoid lines whose voice-leading would make the harmonies explicit); to my ears the music of the second great quintet gains at least some of its incredible expressive quiddity precisely from the kind of tension between changes vs. modal vs. free playing, at least on some of the tunes - others like 'Circle' they are inarguably playing the very beautiful harmonies. I'll come back to you once I've transcribed Gingerbread Boy. Of course it helps avoiding clichés etc. if you already have unusual chord changes as in 'Orbits'.

Fantastic album, though. And Live at the Village Vanguard Again! is pretty damn good too.

Comment

• Jazzrook
                    • Mar 2011

Was this the Bud Powell version of 'Over the Rainbow' you meant S_A?

JR

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
                      Was this the Bud Powell version of 'Over the Rainbow' you meant S_A?

JR
                      That's the one! Interestingly a number of the comments make comparisons with Art Tatum, but there's none of that deceptive Tatum languor here. I would think Monk would be closer - those whole-tone scale runs.

Oh, and the youtube transcriber omitted Bud's repeat of that "final" upward gesture at the very end - the same mistake I made when taping the piece back in 196. whatever, and thinking it had come to an end!

Comment

• Joseph K
                        Banned
                        • Oct 2017

Celebrating digging out this picture & poster after being stuffed away in a plastic bag for five years...

Comment

• Jazzrook
                          • Mar 2011

Gigi Gryce Quintet with Richard Williams, Richard Wyands, Julian Euell & Mickey Roker playing 'Nica's Tempo' in 1960:

Gigi Gryce (as) ジジ・グライスRichard Williams (tpt) リチャード・ウィリアムズ Richard Wyands (p) リチャード・ワイアンズJulian Euell (b) ジュリアン・オイエル Mickey Roker (d) ミッキー・ローカー 1960/0...

A fascinating article on Gigi Gryce by Gordon Jack:

JR

Comment

• elmo
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
                            Gigi Gryce Quintet with Richard Williams, Richard Wyands, Julian Euell & Mickey Roker playing 'Nica's Tempo' in 1960:

Gigi Gryce (as) ジジ・グライスRichard Williams (tpt) リチャード・ウィリアムズ Richard Wyands (p) リチャード・ワイアンズJulian Euell (b) ジュリアン・オイエル Mickey Roker (d) ミッキー・ローカー 1960/0...

A fascinating article on Gigi Gryce by Gordon Jack:

JR
                            An all star Curtis Fuller sextet Playing Jimmy Heath's "CTA" recorded in 1959 with Curtis on this are Hank Mobley, Lee Morgan, Tommy Flanagan, Paul Chambers and Elvin Jones. Arranged by Gigi Gryce.

elmo

Comment

• Jazzrook
                              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by elmo View Post
                              An all star Curtis Fuller sextet Playing Jimmy Heath's "CTA" recorded in 1959 with Curtis on this are Hank Mobley, Lee Morgan, Tommy Flanagan, Paul Chambers and Elvin Jones. Arranged by Gigi Gryce.

elmo
                              Many thanks, elmo.
                              A fine sextet but not an EASY one to find!

JR

Comment

• Joseph K
                                Banned
                                • Oct 2017

Ornette Coleman - At the Golden Circle Volume 1

Comment

Working...
                                X