• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jazzrook
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
    Dig that backbeat!

Mongesi would be gone inside a year.

I wonder if Mingus ever heard that band, or knew of its existence. I think he would have appreciated: they both had that Ellington grounding and drew on miscellaneous sources. I've been listening to all my Mingus recordings - a natural link to the Dolphy stuff previously - including various programme series. I love this story:

"Hey Charles, what you doing employing a white musician in your band?"

"Charlie Mariano? He's not white, he's Italian!"

I've been tempted to tell that story to a neighbour, who's Italian, and whose wife is black. Lovely family - two small children - but, hmmm, neighbours and that, y'know...
    Thanks for that. S_A
    I heard many of those 'Jazz in Britain' programmes but somehow missed the Brotherhood of Breath one. I'm sure Mingus would have loved the band.
    Liked the Charlie Mariano story but it could be tricky explaining it to your Italian/black neighbours!

JR

Comment

• Joseph K
      Banned
      • Oct 2017

Two tracks from Sonny Rollins's album 'Tour de Force' - Two Different Worlds and My Ideal, which concludes my listening to the boxed set 'Sonny Rollins: The Prestige Years'.

I think next I'll start listening my way through the boxed set Thelonious Monk: The Complete Album Collection 1954-57.

Comment

• teamsaint
        • Nov 2010

World Statesman.
        Dizzy Gillespie.

Loving this. Certainly helping my working day go with a swing.
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Stanfordian
          • Dec 2010

‘Street Singer’– Tina Brooks & Jackie McLean
          with Blue Mitchell, Kenny Drew, Paul Chambers & Art Taylor
          Blue Note (1960, released 1980)

A super line up for sure!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Buddy DeFranco/Tony Gumina Quartet album "Pol.y.tones" (1963)

Here the twofold interest is on the possibly under-recognised Tony Gumina's remarkable dexterity on the brand of accordion he is using here, combining squeeze box and organ by way of internal electronics enabling him to add rich textures, and the album's anticipation in some senses of Django Bates's Human Chain in its early days as a trio, in which he was sometimes given to gently parody the cocktail lounge ethos on much of this record. In other respects the LP is an early example of jazz/pop crossover. DeFranco, with connections to Ellington as well as West Coast and sometimes maligned as over-cerebral, at others an important translator of Parker's ideas to the clarinet - thought at the time to be past its vintage - chooses second place for himself here in favour of the spotlight being on Gumina.

*DISCLAIMER* NO COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT INTENDED. I DO NOT OWN THE RIGHTS TO MUSIC IN THIS VIDEO. I DO NOT MONETIZE THIS VIDEO. If you own copyright to this ...

Comment

• Jazzrook
              • Mar 2011

Italian pianist Giorgio Gaslini playing 'Ghosts' from his 1990 solo album of Albert Ayler tunes:

JR

Comment

• Joseph K
                Banned
                • Oct 2017

Thelonious Monk - Genius of Modern Music Vol. 1

Comment

• Joseph K
                  Banned
                  • Oct 2017

Bill Evans and Jim Hall - Undercurrent

Comment

• Stanfordian
                    • Dec 2010

‘Preach Brother!’- Don Wilkerson
                    With Sonny Clark, Grant Green, Butch Warren, Billy Higgins, Jual Curtis
                    Blue Note (1962)

Comment

• Joseph K
                      Banned
                      • Oct 2017

This has just appeared on youtube.

Comment

• elmo
                        • Nov 2010

Don't see Roland kirk tracks making many appearances on this site, so here is a great track with a marvellous line up of Roland with Jaki Byard, Richard Davis and Alan Dawson playing Monk's "Evidence"

elmo

Comment

• Stanfordian
                          • Dec 2010

‘Blues Walk’ - Lou Donaldson
                          with Herman Foster, Peck Morrison, Dave Bailey & Ray Barretto
                          Blue Note (1958)

Comment

• Jazzrook
                            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by elmo View Post
                            Don't see Roland kirk tracks making many appearances on this site, so here is a great track with a marvellous line up of Roland with Jaki Byard, Richard Davis and Alan Dawson playing Monk's "Evidence"

elmo
                            Thanks, elmo.
                            The Jaki Byard Experience is one of my favourite albums.
                            Here's Roland Kirk with Andrew Hill, Vernon Martin & Henry Duncan playing 'Meeting on Termini's Corner' from the 1962 album 'Domino':

Great swinging tune from a "pre-Rahsaan" Roland Kirk. Features a very early appearance by Andrew Hill. Termini's Corner refers to the old "Five Spot" jazz ...

JR

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by elmo View Post

elmo
                              I too love that group. I could be wrong but I don't think Alan Dawson gets much mention let alone many plaudits these days, yet what a fantastic drummer he was! I hadn't realised until checking just now that he taught Tony Williams, and that he was Dawson's first pupil in what turned out to be quite a list.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                                I too love that group. I could be wrong but I don't think Alan Dawson gets much mention let alone many plaudits these days, yet what a fantastic drummer he was! I hadn't realised until checking just now that he taught Tony Williams, and that he was Dawson's first pupil in what turned out to be quite a list.
                                Booker Ervin's "Freedom Book" and "Space Book" with that same rhythm section are both magnificent. In fact rhythm section is poor description for what are fully integrated collective performances. More remarkable in that Alan Dawson had just got off a train and raced to the studio so very little rehearsal. Sonny Rollins late 50s trio dates with Dawson in Europe are also first rank. Interestingly Phil Woods didn't get on too well with them (in his opinion) even though his Musique d'Bois Muse date is one of my favourites of his.

Off topic, but listening again to Bill Evans live in Paris with Chuck Israels and Larry Bunker and struck how good they are. Israels was/is a wonderful woody bass player.

BN.

Comment

Working...
                                X