X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
    Disk 9 - the first track is from Graz, the rest is the first show of Paris, 17/11/1962. Actually the Paris show has just started and the sound quality is somewhat poorer than any show thus far (which was the case with the boxed set of 1961 - they included the ones with less than great sound quality for last) - just checked the booklet, which confirms it. Oh well.
    Console yourself with the thought that when the Benedetti Charlie Parker recordings eventually came out, people would say that at least the music justfied their purchase!

Comment

• Joseph K
      Banned
      • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
      Ahmad Jamal Trio with Israel Crosby & Ray Crawford playing Morton Gould's 'Pavanne' in 1955 - the origins of Coltrane's 'Impressions'?

Written by Morton Gould...reinterpreted by Mr. Jamal...From the Legendary Epic & Okeh Recordings of 1951 & 1955...I believe this cut to be from the 1955 sess...

JR
      Hmm.. I'd say the origins of Impressions was perhaps 'So What' - that is to say, it's a contrafactum of the latter - there's more chords in this Morton Gould tune.

I'd say this is the origins of Coltrane's 'Mr PC' - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpD0jMMweBg

Comment

• Jazzrook
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
        Hmm.. I'd say the origins of Impressions was perhaps 'So What' - that is to say, it's a contrafactum of the latter - there's more chords in this Morton Gould tune.

I'd say this is the origins of Coltrane's 'Mr PC' - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpD0jMMweBg
        John Coltrane, the revered saxophonist and composer, would be turning 91 this week. This year also marks the 50th anniversary of his death, at the age of…

JR

Comment

• Joseph K
          Banned
          • Oct 2017

Ah ok. Thanks for this.

Now I've started listening to the collection 'Sonny Rollins - The Prestige Years', the first two cuts of which, on the first disk, are from 'Thelonious Monk and Sonny Rollins' - I'd like to have this whole album!

Comment

• Stanfordian
            • Dec 2010

‘Somethin' Else’ - Cannonball Adderley
            with Miles Davis, Hank Jones, Sam Jones & Art Blakey
            Blue Note (1958)

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
              ‘Somethin' Else’ - Cannonball Adderley
              with Miles Davis, Hank Jones, Sam Jones & Art Blakey
              Blue Note (1958)
              Who came up first with that title? Cannonball, or Ornette?

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                Who came up first with that title? Cannonball, or Ornette?
                ....Jez Nelson <cough ahem> wasn't it!!??
                bong ching

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
                  ....Jez Nelson <cough ahem> wasn't it!!??

(PS - I wouldn't think Jez was even a thought in his dad's testimonials back in '58)

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

(PS - I wouldn't think Jez was even a thought in his dad's testimonials back in '58)
                    Just had this from the Arts Council England...

"Arts Council England
                    @ace_national
                    15m
                    Sit back, put your feet up and become immersed in the music with this fantastic mix by DJ Adam Rockers and jazz re:freshed Multiple musical notesRaising hands #UnderNubianSkies takes you on an aural journey through Black Jazz from the 60s and 70s https://buff.ly/30XlGT8"....Max Roach, Cecil McBee etc etc. "

It's on the Mixcloud app which is free and downloadable from Google Play. I've just installed and given it a "whirl" and it seems fine.

The Arts Council eh? Coooooool.

BN

Comment

• Joseph K
                      Banned
                      • Oct 2017

Pasquale Grasso - Moose the Mooche

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
                        Just had this from the Arts Council England...

"Arts Council England
                        @ace_national
                        15m
                        Sit back, put your feet up and become immersed in the music with this fantastic mix by DJ Adam Rockers and jazz re:freshed Multiple musical notesRaising hands #UnderNubianSkies takes you on an aural journey through Black Jazz from the 60s and 70s https://buff.ly/30XlGT8"....Max Roach, Cecil McBee etc etc. "

It's on the Mixcloud app which is free and downloadable from Google Play. I've just installed and given it a "whirl" and it seems fine.

The Arts Council eh? Coooooool.

BN
                        Jazz Re:freshed are responsible for issuing a lot of the new material by the latest generation of British jazz musicians. I have said before that I have been impressed by Cassie Kinoshi's SEED Ensemble but I think there are loads of players who seem to have "rebranded" the kind of jazz produced by the likes of Sun Ra and Pharoah Sanders. This evening I had been playing the "Maisha" album which feature Nubya Garcia. I think she is someone well worth checking out if for no other reason that what she plays is so great to listen to. "Maisha" is a band that is more about groove than "being cutting edge" but when the results are so enjoyable, being critical is a bit pointless. What I like about these young players is that the music is unashamedly jazz and it is extremely approachable. The album is issued on Gilles Peterson's label which initially put me off. However, it is really nice to listen to.( I never appreciated that he was actually French and isn't , in fact, called "Peterson.")

If you are looking at "cutting edge," Steve Coleman's Natal Eclipse" band nicely blurs the boundaries between jazz and modern classical music. "Morphogenesis" isn't quite as immediate in it's appeal as the follow up "Synovial Joints" where a larger ensemble is employed but it is still very much in the Chamber Music idiom . There was a lot of praise on this board a few years back for Henry Threadgill's "Dirt and More Dirt" which ploughed a similar furrow. Although they share the same instrument and indeed record level, their approach to "chamber jazz" is markedly different and I think the Natal Eclipse band is demonstrative that Coleman's approach is probably more logical and easier to follow. There seems to be a momentum in his music which is driven by the evolving lines played by the musicians which is probably a consequence of the absence of a drum kit on the disc. Although it sounds nothing like Bach, the music has the same feel as JSB's figures where the musical ideas seem to unfurl themselves. Coleman is, to my mind, one of the great thinkers" in jazz and probably as near as someone like Lennie Tristano in respect of cultivating a school of players as anyone else in 2020. I appreciate that Steve Coleman was something of a revelatory figure in the late 80s and early 90s. However, I think that he has evolved into one of jazz's foremost creators. Again, it is the theory and writing element of his work in addition to the distinctive sound of his playing which I feel is significant. It staggers me that is remains so overlooked in 2020.

Comment

• DracoM
                          Host
                          • Mar 2007

'No Sun in Venice ' / MJQ

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                            'No Sun in Venice ' / MJQ
                            Soon to be re-issued under new title: 'No British Tourists in Venice'.

Comment

• Joseph K
                              Banned
                              • Oct 2017

Steve Coleman - Hand and Wrist from Synovial Joints.

Very Good so far.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                                • Dec 2010

'Straight Life' - Jimmy Smith
                                with Quentin Warren & Donald Bailey
                                Blue Note (1961)

Comment

Working...
                                X