• Joseph K
      Banned
      • Oct 2017

This is very fine indeed:

Comment

• Jazzrook
        • Mar 2011

John Carter's 1985 album 'Castles of Ghana':

Lp - Castles of Ghana (1986 / Gramavision)John Carter - clarinet , vocalsBobby Bradford - cornetBaikida Carroll - trumpet , vocalsclarinet [bass] , bells , g...

...and here's a fascinating list of obscure free jazz albums including the above:

JR

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
          John Carter's 1985 album 'Castles of Ghana':

Lp - Castles of Ghana (1986 / Gramavision)John Carter - clarinet , vocalsBobby Bradford - cornetBaikida Carroll - trumpet , vocalsclarinet [bass] , bells , g...

...and here's a fascinating list of obscure free jazz albums including the above:

JR

Jazzrook

It is amazing to see that John Carter's work is largely unavailable on CD now. I think there are a few records from late sixties available. "Castles of Ghana" was one of those records I can recall being released to much fanfare but not hearing until much later by which time it was unavailable. I have always got the impression that this is a record that would be in a "Top Ten" of jazz albums from the 1980s. Carter was really under the radar and, rather like Horace Tapscott, a musician who never got the attention he deserved. I believe "Castles of Ghana" was on Gramavision which is a shame as it would have been nice to have been included in one of the Black Saint / Soul Note re-issue box sets.

The 1980s was often seen as the decade when fusion fell completely out of favour, to be replaced by New Neos and Downtowners battling it out. This is a gross simplification and overlooks the fact that the avant garde had a real and genuine resurgence during this period and, for my money, produced a body of work which was often more interesting than what had happened in the 1960s. Following your like to Charles Tyler, the other really great album from this decade was Billy Bang's "Rainbow Warrior." I wish I had been aware of what this music sounded like at the time but I was too obsessed by ECM by this point. Looking back, it does feel like I backed the wrong horse! I have a copy of "Rainbow Warrior" which I was very pleased to acquire but "Castles of Ghana" looks like always remaining elusive.

Comment

• Tenor Freak
            • Dec 2010

John Carter is excellent, his duo with Bobby Bradford I saw at Bracknell in '87 still a musical highlight for me.

Meanwhile I am NP this guy after hearing one of his tracks on the WNUR stream the other day: Corey Christiansen and his CD "Roll With It".
            all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

• Jazzrook
              • Mar 2011

Herb Geller with Walter Norris, Victor Feldman, Leroy Vinegar & Anthony Bazley playing 'It Might As Well Be Spring' from the 1958 album 'Stax Of Sax':

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

JR

Comment

• Joseph K
                Banned
                • Oct 2017

Near the end of the first disk of the Complete Live at the Village Vanguard by Bill Evans Trio.

Comment

• Joseph K
                  Banned
                  • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
                  Near the end of the first disk of the Complete Live at the Village Vanguard by Bill Evans Trio.
                  Really beautiful. But then I already knew that, but still...

Comment

• Jazzrook
                    • Mar 2011

Barry Harris with Junior Cook, Pepper Adams, Slide Hampton, Bob Cranshaw & Lenny McBrowne playing Bud Powell's 'Webb City' from the 1967 album 'Luminescence!':

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

JR

Comment

• Joseph K
                      Banned
                      • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
                      Near the end of the third disk.

Comment

• Joseph K
                        Banned
                        • Oct 2017

John Coltrane - Interstellar Space

Comment

• Stanfordian
                          • Dec 2010

'Groove' - The Complete Legendary 1961 Session plus 8 bonus tracks
                          Ben Webster with Richard 'Groove' Holmes, Les McCann, Lawrence 'Tricky' Lofton,
                          George Freeman, Herbie Lewis & Ron Jefferson
                          American Jazz Classics (1960 & 61)
                          Last edited by Stanfordian; 06-07-20, 15:12.

Comment

• Jazzrook
                            • Mar 2011

Milford Graves & Don Pullen, album 'Nommo', live at Yale University, 1966:

Milford Graves & Don Pullen, album Nommo, 1966Don Pullen, piano Milford Graves, drums, percussion 1 P.G. III 8:30 2 P.G. IV 7:35 3 P.G. V 15:20 Live a...

JR

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
                              Milford Graves & Don Pullen, album 'Nommo', live at Yale University, 1966:

Milford Graves & Don Pullen, album Nommo, 1966Don Pullen, piano Milford Graves, drums, percussion 1 P.G. III 8:30 2 P.G. IV 7:35 3 P.G. V 15:20 Live a...

JR
                              Astonishing, that. I think Graves gets underestimated or recognised.

Comment

• Jazzrook
                                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                                Astonishing, that. I think Graves gets underestimated or recognised.
                                Max Harrison gave this LP an enthusiastic review in 'Modern Jazz 1945-70 The Essential Records'(Aquarius 1975).
                                I've never been able to track down a copy.

JR

Comment

Working...
                                X