X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
    Stan Tracey with Keith Tippett from their album 'Supernova' recorded live at the ICA in 1977 but not released until 2008:

Provided to YouTube by IDOLParallax (Live) · Stan Tracey · Keith TippettSupernova℗ ReSteamedReleased on: 2008-02-25Composer: Stan TraceyComposer: Keith Tippe...

R.I.P. Keith Tippett

JR
    It's a good one, that - different in many ways from "Dualities", their first recorded get-together from 1974. I've just been playing a tape of Keith and Stan performing at the Purcell on 14 November 2009 as part of that year's London Jazz Festival. For me the musical quality of what those two in particular came up working as a duo with was simply staggering - up there with the two-piano "En blanc et noir", except, of course, that Debussy would have given himself time to craft what he put on score paper. But I'm reminded of a quote somewhere (could have been from Monteux or Ansermet) to the effect that Stravinsky appeared to just let his hands land by chance on chords that then went into the "Rite" - something we also heard about Monk's approach to the piano; we learn that Debussy sat down to run through a 2-piano version of the "Rite", taking the low register parts while Stravinsky did the uppers, but that Debussy sight-read the parts there and then - which seems extraordinary, even knowing his virtuosity, given the newness of the idiom. I like to think of Stan and Keith taking as it were the roles of Claude and Igor, sitting down together and just improvising what came into their heads and fingers, somewhere around the year 1912.

Comment

• Joseph K
      Banned
      • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
      The first disk of the second Miles Davis Bootleg boxed set.
      Second disk now.

Comment

• Stanfordian
        • Dec 2010

‘Unity’ - Larry Young
        with Woody Shaw, Joe Henderson & Elvin Jones
        Blue Note (1965)

Comment

• Joseph K
          Banned
          • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
          ‘Unity’ - Larry Young
          with Woody Shaw, Joe Henderson & Elvin Jones
          Blue Note (1965)
          Coincidentally, I listened to a few cuts from that fine album the other day.

Comment

• Joseph K
            Banned
            • Oct 2017

Second disk now.
            … carrying on where I left from on this (Miles Runs the Voodoo Down, track 6). Absolutely love it... Miles's tone is so joyfully raucous. This box is sublime, a sweet spot between post-bop and fusion, with forays into free jazz, if we must think in those terms.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

… carrying on where I left from on this (Miles Runs the Voodoo Down, track 6). Absolutely love it... Miles's tone is so joyfully raucous. This box is sublime, a sweet spot between post-bop and fusion, with forays into free jazz, if we must think in those terms.
              Django Bates refers to those recordings as "free jazz-funk" - well, the "Live-Evil" ones, which I assume to be very much in the same spirit, with of course John McLaughlin added. Given Keith Jarrett's obvious influence on Bates he agreed that it would have been even greater had Jarrett not gone on to become so antipathetic to electronic keyboards, given his (I think) astonishing work using two of 'em on "Live-Evil".

Comment

• Jazzrook
                • Mar 2011

Terry Gibbs' Dream Band playing 'Flying Home' from their 1959 album 'One More Time' recorded live at the Seville and Sundown, Hollywood in1959:

I do NOT make money posting this! I am sharing with the world rare jazz albums that are sadly OUT OF PRINT or NOT available in most places!Featuring: Lou Lev...

JR

Comment

• Joseph K
                  Banned
                  • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                  Django Bates refers to those recordings as "free jazz-funk" - well, the "Live-Evil" ones, which I assume to be very much in the same spirit, with of course John McLaughlin added. Given Keith Jarrett's obvious influence on Bates he agreed that it would have been even greater had Jarrett not gone on to become so antipathetic to electronic keyboards, given his (I think) astonishing work using two of 'em on "Live-Evil".
                  This is different to Live-Evil, owing to the presence of tunes like 'Milestones', 'Footprints' 'Round Midnight' or 'No Blues'... like I say, post-bop, but with songs from In a Silent Way and Bitches Brew.

If you don't have the second Bootleg boxed set, the first two disks are here:

July 25, 1969Festival Mondial du Jazz d'Antibes, La Pinède, Juan-les-Pins, FranceMiles Davis Quintet: Miles Davis (tpt); Wayne Shorter (ss, ts); Chick Corea ...

July 26, 1969Festival Mondial du Jazz d'Antibes, La Pinède, Juan-les-Pins, FranceMiles Davis Quintet: Miles Davis (tpt); Wayne Shorter (ss, ts); Chick Corea ...

I have to say, I do wonder if the sound of Chick Corea on electric keyboard playing post-bop tunes sends the anti-fusion and therefore anti-electronic keyboard people into fits of cognitive dissonance.

Oh, and there is film footage of some of these recordings, Miles looking very sartorially elegant:

July 25th, 1969 at the Juan-les-Pins Jazz FestMilestones, Footprints, 'Round MidnightMiles Davis - trumpetWayne Shorter - tenor and soprano saxophonesChick C...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Ah - my apologies for confusing two different sets of recordings. This is nearer to what I was thinking of, chronologically:

http://www,youtube.com/watch?v=3_JZRhffYxE

The 19-year old Michael Henderson hadn't yet come in on bass; I am given to thinking he had a better feel for where the music was going with this much funkier line-up than Dave Holland, much though I admire Holland.
                    Last edited by Serial_Apologist; 17-06-20, 17:49.

Comment

• Joseph K
                      Banned
                      • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                      Ah - my apologies for confusing two different sets of recordings. This is nearer to what I was thinking of, chronologically:

http://www,youtube.com/watch?v=3_JZRhffYxE

The 19-year old Michael Henderson hadn't yet come in on bass; I am given to thinking he had a better feel for where the music was going with this much funkier line-up than Dave Holland, much though I admire Holland.
                      I think there's not much to choose between Holland and Henderson IMO...

BTW I had to change that web address to this, since you've accidentally put a comma after the www. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_JZRhffYxE

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

I think there's not much to choose between Holland and Henderson IMO...

BTW I had to change that web address to this, since you've accidentally put a comma after the www. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_JZRhffYxE
                        My apologies, Joseph.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
                          Terry Gibbs' Dream Band playing 'Flying Home' from their 1959 album 'One More Time' recorded live at the Seville and Sundown, Hollywood in1959:

I do NOT make money posting this! I am sharing with the world rare jazz albums that are sadly OUT OF PRINT or NOT available in most places!Featuring: Lou Lev...

JR
                          My Dad loved this band. I think the West Coast usually gets labelled as producing light and breezy styles of jazz but Gibb's bands went for a more straight forward option of updating swing era material into a hard-swinging modern jazz approach with the leader owing a lot of his playing to Lionel Hampton. The level of musicianship was always extremely high and he seemed to be able to attract the best players that were available. The charts were written by Bill Holman, an arranger who probably deserves more credit and one of the better writers working on the Wes coast. Both Gibbs and Holman are still around in their nineties, Gibbs actually releasing a new album last year. Holman's style of arrangement is very distinctive and I think that he tended to get taken for granted. He had a very fresh way of arranging.

By the way, the Sonny Criss track with Hampton Hawes ion JRR last week was terrific. A name I knew but was not really appreciative of his playing. Anything with Hampton Hawes on piano sounds good.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                            • Dec 2010

‘Blue’s Moods’ – Blue Mitchell

with Wynton Kelly, Sam Jones & Philly Joe Jones
                            Riverside (1960)

Comment

• Joseph K
                              Banned
                              • Oct 2017

This is different to Live-Evil, owing to the presence of tunes like 'Milestones', 'Footprints' 'Round Midnight' or 'No Blues'... like I say, post-bop, but with songs from In a Silent Way and Bitches Brew.

If you don't have the second Bootleg boxed set, the first two disks are here:

July 25, 1969Festival Mondial du Jazz d'Antibes, La Pinède, Juan-les-Pins, FranceMiles Davis Quintet: Miles Davis (tpt); Wayne Shorter (ss, ts); Chick Corea ...

July 26, 1969Festival Mondial du Jazz d'Antibes, La Pinède, Juan-les-Pins, FranceMiles Davis Quintet: Miles Davis (tpt); Wayne Shorter (ss, ts); Chick Corea ...

I have to say, I do wonder if the sound of Chick Corea on electric keyboard playing post-bop tunes sends the anti-fusion and therefore anti-electronic keyboard people into fits of cognitive dissonance.

Oh, and there is film footage of some of these recordings, Miles looking very sartorially elegant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sayOJKN6yuo
                              And here's the third disk, if you're interested:

November 5, 1969Folkets Hus, Stockholm, Sweden [1st show]Miles Davis Quintet: Miles Davis (tpt); Wayne Shorter (ss, ts); Chick Corea (p, el-p); Dave Holland ...

(I'm currently listening to the CD )

Comment

• Joseph K
                                Banned
                                • Oct 2017

And here's the third disk, if you're interested:

November 5, 1969Folkets Hus, Stockholm, Sweden [1st show]Miles Davis Quintet: Miles Davis (tpt); Wayne Shorter (ss, ts); Chick Corea (p, el-p); Dave Holland ...

(I'm currently listening to the CD )
                                … anti-fusion people will be pleased to know that Chick's on acoustic piano here.

Comment

Working...
                                X