X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joseph K
    Banned
    • Oct 2017

Provided to YouTube by The Orchard EnterprisesWhile My Guitar Gently Weeps · Jesse Chandler · Tim Horner · Vic JurisWhile My Guitar Gently Weeps℗ 2004 Steepl...

A heavily reharmonized All the Things You Are, played by Vic Juris. Somewhat Metheny-esque in places.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
      • Dec 2010

Joseph

Vic Juris appears to have re-harmonised this to the extent that it has become "While my guitar gently weeps!"

It is strange that you hear a Metheny influence in his playing as I feel that he was coming more out of a tradition of players such as Jim Hall and John Abercrombie in particular. Acoustically, you sense that he was coming out of a tradition akin to Ralph Towner. The new album is really good and you can appreciate why he was held in such esteem by other musicians.

"All the things you are" ….

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
        • Dec 2010

Got to say that I thought that was the best version of "All the things you are" that I have heard. The tune was reinvigorated being re-harmonised and played as a slow ballad. Here is something more up-tempo from his Eric Dolphy tribute album...

The more I listen to his music, the more I love about what he plays. There are some interesting records in his discography including duets with Phil Woods, Stanley Cowell and our own John Etheridge. He also seems to have been a prolific writer on books about jazz guitar technique including a number to do with harmony.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
          • Dec 2010

This is how it is done!!

Comment

• Joseph K
            Banned
            • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
            Second disk now.
            Third disk of the first Miles Bootleg box now.

Comment

• Jazzrook
              • Mar 2011

Clifford Jordan with Stanley Cowell, Bill Lee & Billy Higgins playing 'John Coltrane' from the 1973 album 'Glass Bead Games'(Strata-East):

One more track from the great album Glass Bead Games. It seems like a few people like this track so here we go, enjoy.

JR

Comment

• Joseph K
                Banned
                • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
                Clifford Jordan with Stanley Cowell, Bill Lee & Billy Higgins playing 'John Coltrane' from the 1973 album 'Glass Bead Games'(Strata-East):

One more track from the great album Glass Bead Games. It seems like a few people like this track so here we go, enjoy.

JR

I must be going mad.

I could have sworn you posted that you were listening to this yesterday.

Comment

• Jazzrook
                  • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
                  I must be going mad.

I could have sworn you posted that you were listening to this yesterday.
                  Not going mad, Joseph - It was deleted when I tried to edit it, so posted again. Not too happy with the adverse changes on this newly designed forum.

JR

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                    • Dec 2010

David "Fathead" Newman (Ray Charles presents Fathead) -"Tin Tin Deo". Rays great little band 1959. Hank Crawford baritone, Marcus Belgrave trumpet, Ray Charles piano.

Comment

• Joseph K
                      Banned
                      • Oct 2017

Not going mad, Joseph - It was deleted when I tried to edit it, so posted again. Not too happy with the adverse changes on this newly designed forum.

JR

Now - Miles Davis - Filles de Kilimanjaro

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                        • Dec 2010

JR
                        I thought that this track was incredible. The whole album has a cult status and is extremely difficult to find. I am not sure it is available on CD . The prices I have seen are ridiculous and I was wondering if it was something you could pick up on vinyl . It appears to have been rereleased in 2020. I have a request out for a track with Clifford Jordan on. He is not a player you hear a great deal off yet he always seems very good on everything I have heard by him. One of my friends played drums for him when he toured France and he considered him the best American musician he had worked with.

Comment

• CGR
                          • Aug 2016

Snuck In
                          David Wiess & Point of Departure.
                          Sunnyside Records.

Comment

• Jazzrook
                            • Mar 2011

'Eastern Rebellion' with Cedar Walton, George Coleman, Sam Jones & Billy Higgins playing 'Bolivia' in 1975:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

JR

Comment

• Stanfordian
                              • Dec 2010

‘Swing, Swang, Swingin'’ - Jackie McLean
                              with Walter Bishop Jr, Jimmy Garrison & Art Taylor
                              Blue Note (1959)

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                                • Dec 2010

'Eastern Rebellion' with Cedar Walton, George Coleman, Sam Jones & Billy Higgins playing 'Bolivia' in 1975:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

JR
                                For quite a number of young budding jazz musicians coming up at the time of that recording, it was seen as a touchstone for where to take the music if one didn't wish to take Free or Fusion pathways - even before the advent of Marsalis.

Comment

Working...
                                X