Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BLUESNIK'S REVOX
    • Dec 2010

A really wonderful find... The Gil Cuppini Quintet, Complete Album, Italy 1961 "What's New Vol2". With Cuppini on drums, Barney Wilen sax(s), George Grunz piano. Some great playing all round, lovely feel to this and another example of how good European jazz (OK, in the hard bop mould maybe) of this period could be...

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
      A really wonderful find... The Gil Cuppini Quintet, Complete Album, Italy 1961 "What's New Vol2". With Cuppini on drums, Barney Wilen sax(s), George Grunz piano. Some great playing all round, lovely feel to this and another example of how good European jazz (OK, in the hard bop mould maybe) of this period could be...

http://youtu.be/928ihYuXWQ8
      I listened to some of this record last night and was surprised. What is more intriguing is that the drummer / leader Cuppini was more usually associated with Joe Venuti as opposed to this record which reminded me a lot of Miles' "Someday my prince will come." The giveaway was the bass playing and drumming.

Regarding Freddie Roach, I was once loaned "Mo' green, please" on an original LP copy. I think that his organ playing seems really old-fashioned but the tenor player Conrad Lester is quite good and reminds me of Ike Quebec. I know nothing about Roach although I believe he quit music for Hollywood in the 70's. Still, he managed to attract Joe Henderson and Hank Mobley to perform on a couple of his records. He is the one Blue Note organist who appears to have slipped off fans' consciousness. It is strange how some of these old Blue Notes never got the cult status that nearly everything else achieved. The previous album Jazzrook posted was a similar example and then there is the tenor player who played two saxes at the same time whose records are supposed to be really poor.

Comment

• Stanfordian
        • Dec 2010

‘Born to be Blue’ - Grant Green
        with Ike Quebec & Sonny Clarke, Grant Jones & Louis Hayes
        Blue Note (1962)

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
          • Dec 2010

George Braith of whom Roland Kirk once said dismissively, "Well, at least I *try* to play them in tune". Actually he's not that bad and I think maybe still around?

Although.. .http://youtu.be/YzfXBt0pKGs. "Every time we say goodbye". Hmmmm

Comment

• Jazzrook
            • Mar 2011

Bobby Watson with John Hicks, Curtis Lundy & Marvin 'Smitty' Smith playing 'Love Remains' in 1986:

Fantastic ballad from Bobby Watson's (as) disc titled "Love Remains" as well. Also play Curtis Landy (b), John Hicks (p) and Martin "Smitty" Smith (dr). High...

JR

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
              Bobby Watson with John Hicks, Curtis Lundy & Marvin 'Smitty' Smith playing 'Love Remains' in 1986:

Fantastic ballad from Bobby Watson's (as) disc titled "Love Remains" as well. Also play Curtis Landy (b), John Hicks (p) and Martin "Smitty" Smith (dr). High...

JR
              The one time I saw Marvin "Smitty" Smith was when he came over with the Dave Holland group in around 1985. Kenny Wheeler was in that band - and Steve Coleman: The Wire was just then informing us about this thing over in the States called M-Base; but "Smitty" was the most impressive - bursting with energetic precision all over the kit while trussed up in a tight-fitting three-piece suit recalling our own Johnny Butts at Ronnie's, 20 years previously.

Comment

• Joseph K
                Banned
                • Oct 2017

Miles in Berlin.

Comment

• Joseph K
                  Banned
                  • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
                  The first disk of the first bootleg Miles box.

Second disk now.

Comment

• teamsaint
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
                    I've joined you - it is a fine record.
                    New to me, but really enjoying this very much., so thanks for the tip.
                    Currently. At Newport, Dizzy Gillespie.
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Joseph K
                      Banned
                      • Oct 2017

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                      New to me, but really enjoying this very much., so thanks for the tip.
                      Currently. At Newport, Dizzy Gillespie.

Vide #4649 for my comments regarding Dizzy at Newport. It's nice, but kind of really impressed upon me how special Miles was. On which note I've just been listening to this (via youtube, though I do have this on CD):

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                        • Dec 2010

I was saddened to hear of the death of guitarist Vic Juris early in the year. He used to be a regular poster on the All Abu Jazz message-board and came across as a really decent bloke. I was most familiar with his work with Dave Liebman and have the Ornette tribute album the saxophonist made which eschews the harmonically vague approach of the composer for a more savvy style of chord changes. The liner notes alone are interesting because Liebman analyses the approach to improvisation by Coleman and contrasts it with his own. There is obviously respect for Coleman's approach yet Liebman is quite emphatic that it is not a view he shares. It is an album I really like although it is different!

The last album by Vic Juris has just been released and is called "Let's cool one" after the Monk tune. It is a quartet with pianist Gary Versace added to the core trio with Jay Anderson and John Riley. I played this disc twice yesterday afternoon and I have to say that it is a really good record. Not sure if Joseph has checked out Vic Juris but it is worth snapping up in my opinion, especially if you like other guitarists like John Abercrombie as the music is very much in that vein. There are a handful of nice originals amongst a selection of compositions by such varied musicians as Monk, Abercrombie, Ralph Towner , John Lewis and Jimmy Rowles' "The Peacocks." There are also a couple of standards in there too. Juris plays both acoustic and electric guitar on this record.

The music was released on the Danish Steeplechase label which I have always associated as being very much straight ahead with no interest in being remotely fashionable or modishness. I suppose it is similar to another label like Criss Cross who similarly stick to a no-nonsense policy with their artists. For me, this music is all the better for this. The repertoire on this record is pleasing and has a few of my favourite tunes in such as Abercrombie's "Avenue", Ralph Towner's "The Glide" and Alec Wilder's "Moon & sand." Even the hackneyed John Lewis blues which always seemed to get called out whenever I rehearsed up at the IBM social club in Hursley is given an uplift which makes it one of the best tracks. This disc makes you realise the depth of talent in New York. Juris' passing was a real loss to the music and this record demonstrates why is deserved to have been better known. It is great hearing jazz like this. Steeplehcase obviously gave the quartet the freedom to do their own thing. It is a disc that could have been recorded anyone within the last 40 years and has that timeless quality about it which I think gives jazz it's strength. I am glad that I picked this record up and would recommend it.

Comment

• Joseph K
                          Banned
                          • Oct 2017

Thanks for the recommendation.

Comment

• Jazzrook
                            • Mar 2011

Charles Mingus playing 'Roland Kirk's Message' from his overlooked 1963 album 'Mingus Plays Piano':

JR

Comment

• Stanfordian
                              • Dec 2010

‘Plus’ - Cannonball Adderley
                              with Nat Adderley, Wynton Kelly, Victor Feldman, Sam Jones & Louis Hayes
                              Riverside (1961)

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                                • Dec 2010

The latest Way Out West samizdat has just dropped onto the email mat, and it includes this duet from a set by pianist Kate Williams and her hubby, Hammond organist Pete Whittaker - a commission from Birmingham Jazz.

Singer Emily Saunders is now back and on the mend, following what sounds like it must have been a harrowing year, suffering with inflammatory auto-immune disease. Here is her website, which includes a number of clips from a new recording:

Last edited by Serial_Apologist; 29-05-20, 17:13. Reason: There's no c in Whittaker, see?

Comment

Working...
                                X