X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
    Alto saxophonist John Jenkins with Kenny Burrell, Sonny Clark, Paul Chambers & Dannie Richmond playing 'Chalumeau' from Jenkins' BLUE NOTE album recorded on August 11, 1957:

Provided to YouTube by Universal Music GroupChalumeau (Stereo) · John Jenkins · Kenny BurrellJohn Jenkins With Kenny Burrell℗ 1996 Blue Note RecordsReleased ...

JR
    I know everyobody on that recording, except John Jenkins!!!

Comment

• Jazzrook
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
      I know everyobody on that recording, except John Jenkins!!!
      John Jenkins worked briefly with Mingus in 1957 but, sadly, seemed to disappear from the scene after that BLUE NOTE album.
      Here he is with Jackie McLean, Wade Legge, Doug Watkins & Art Taylor playing 'Easy Living' on May 3, 1957:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

JR

Comment

• Joseph K
        Banned
        • Oct 2017

Sonny Rollins' Village Vanguard recording again, specifically the tune 'Four'.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
          • Dec 2010

Reading, not listening: From an interesting London Review of Books blog piece by Adam Shatz about Mathew Shipps' latest recording. The entire article is on the LRB website...

"New World
          Adam Shatz

Two years ago, I asked the free jazz pianist Matthew Shipp if he would take part in a concert I was organising in remembrance of Cecil Taylor, who had just died. He said he’d be willing to give a talk, but not to perform. Taylor hadn’t influenced his work, and he didn’t want to encourage the notion that he had. I wasn’t surprised (I’ve known Shipp for more than twenty years). His feelings about Taylor were complicated, and the two men often jousted, especially on the subject of Bill Evans, whom Taylor disparaged as the great white hope of jazz piano, and Shipp reveres. Shipp had also been saddled with the ‘heir of Cecil Taylor’ label for three decades, even though the resemblances in their playing are superficial. The only comparison with Taylor that Shipp ever welcomed was made by a mutual friend, the saxophonist Jemeel Moondoc, who told him: ‘You’re just like Cecil Taylor – you’re both bad motherfuckers...."

Comment

• Stanfordian
            • Dec 2010

'The Tower of Power!' - Dexter Gordon
            with James Moody, Barry Harris, Buster Williams & Albert ‘Tootie’ Heath
            Prestige (1961)

Comment

• Jazzrook
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
              Reading, not listening: From an interesting London Review of Books blog piece by Adam Shatz about Mathew Shipps' latest recording. The entire article is on the LRB website...

"New World
              Adam Shatz

Two years ago, I asked the free jazz pianist Matthew Shipp if he would take part in a concert I was organising in remembrance of Cecil Taylor, who had just died. He said he’d be willing to give a talk, but not to perform. Taylor hadn’t influenced his work, and he didn’t want to encourage the notion that he had. I wasn’t surprised (I’ve known Shipp for more than twenty years). His feelings about Taylor were complicated, and the two men often jousted, especially on the subject of Bill Evans, whom Taylor disparaged as the great white hope of jazz piano, and Shipp reveres. Shipp had also been saddled with the ‘heir of Cecil Taylor’ label for three decades, even though the resemblances in their playing are superficial. The only comparison with Taylor that Shipp ever welcomed was made by a mutual friend, the saxophonist Jemeel Moondoc, who told him: ‘You’re just like Cecil Taylor – you’re both bad motherfuckers...."
              Thanks, BN - fascinating article:

Two years ago, I asked the free jazz pianist Matthew Shipp if he would take part in a concert I was organising in...

Here's Shipp playing solo at the Zurcher Gallery, NYC in 2018:

JR

Comment

• Joseph K
                Banned
                • Oct 2017

'Afro' - Dizzy Gillespie, disk 5 from the boxed set 'Milestones of a Legend'.

Comment

• Joseph K
                  Banned
                  • Oct 2017

I find this quite nice, and fairly interesting:

Comment

• Joseph K
                    Banned
                    • Oct 2017

Kenny Dorham Quintet - Woody 'n' You

Kenny Dorham (tp), Rolf Ericson (tp,flh), Tete Montoliu (p), Niels-Henning Orsted Pedersen (b), Alex Riel (ds) Album:"Kenny Dorham / Scandia Story "Recorded:...

Comment

• Boilk
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
                      I find this quite nice, and fairly interesting:
                      EVGENY is rather good isn't he? He won the Herbie Hancock Institute of 2019 International Jazz Guitar Competition.

We'll be hearing a lot more from him.

Comment

• Joseph K
                        Banned
                        • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Boilk
                        EVGENY is rather good isn't he? He won the 2019 Herbie Hancock Institute of Jazz International Jazz Guitar Competition.

We'll be hearing a lot more from him.
                        Agreed. That's how I came to know of him. I posted his arrangement of a Depeche Mode song here around that time...

Comment

• Joseph K
                          Banned
                          • Oct 2017

That looks interesting. Thanks for posting it.

I just listened to another fine rendition of Woody 'n' You, this time by Eric Dolphy -

Eric Dolphy (as, b-cl, fl), Bent Axen (p), Erik Moseholm (b), Jørn Elniff (ds)Album:"Eric Dolphy Quartet / In Europe: Complete 1961 Copenhagen Concerts" Reco...

Comment

• Joseph K
                            Banned
                            • Oct 2017

Dizzy Gillespie - Sonny Side Up

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post

"New World
                              Adam Shatz

Bluesnik & Jazzrook

Oddly enough, All About Jazz had an interview with Matthew Shipp yesterday which makes reference to the influence of Cecil Taylor and explains in greater detail where his influences come from. I have to be to honest and say that the comments in this interview are far more insightful than what has been witnessed on J-Z of late. The observations that fascinate me are his analysis of how different the approach to improvisation is amongst different members of the Free Jazz community as well as his perception of the influence of the piano playing of Duke Ellington. The latter remark really resonates with me. I find Ellington to have been an exceptional soloist and one who has had a spectacularly long reach influencing other pianists like Monk, Andrew Hill, Cecil Taylor, Jason Moran, etc. It is also fascinating to read Shipp's comments about Andrew Hill. I have the trio album he mentioned in a box set and will need to listen to this again after reading with article. You will both find this extremely interesting.

Cheers

Ian

Matthew Shipp: Poetic Connection article by Seton Hawkins, published on May 21, 2020 at All About Jazz. Find more Interview articles

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
                                John Jenkins worked briefly with Mingus in 1957 but, sadly, seemed to disappear from the scene after that BLUE NOTE album.
                                Here he is with Jackie McLean, Wade Legge, Doug Watkins & Art Taylor playing 'Easy Living' on May 3, 1957:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

JR
                                Thanks for posting the link, Jazzrook.

I thought that the album cover looked familiar even if John Jenkin's name was not one that I could recall. There are about three further albums that he cut with other labels but I believe he left music in the 1960s.

Comment

Working...
                                X