Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jazzrook
    • Mar 2011

Andrew Hill with Booker Ervin, Lee Morgan, Ron Carter & Freddie Waits playing 'Mira' from the 1968 album 'Grass Roots':

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

JR

Comment

• Tenor Freak
      • Dec 2010

Definitely in the mood for oud as the ECM Lockdown Jass FestivalTM covers the recordings of Anouar Brahem. NP: Khomsa, but also had Thimar (with Surman & Holland), Le Voyage de Sahar, The Astounding Eyes of Rita and Souvenance. Before that played a couple of Billy Hart releases Find The Way, All Our Reasons and One Is The Other.
      all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Tenor Freak View Post
        Definitely in the mood for oud as the ECM Lockdown Jass FestivalTM covers the recordings of Anouar Brahem. NP: Khomsa, but also had Thimar (with Surman & Holland), Le Voyage de Sahar, The Astounding Eyes of Rita and Souvenance. Before that played a couple of Billy Hart releases Find The Way, All Our Reasons and One Is The Other.
        Oud of thought it????!!!!

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
          • Dec 2010

I have been playing one ECM today - Tomasz Stanko's "Suspended night" which I had not listened to for ages. I quite like Stanko's brooding approach but still prefer "Matka Joanna." In addition to this, I have listened to Billy Bang's "Rainbow Gladiator", Los Hombres Calientes Vol 2 and Myra Melford's "Snowy Egret. However, the album I have enjoyed the most is "Lento" by the South Korean singer Youn Sun Nah.

This is only one of three ACT records I have in my collection, the other two being by Vijay Iyer. The Youn Sun Nah record includes a line up of guitar, bass, accordion and percussion. she sings a very wide repertoire which takes in Scriabin, Nine Inch Nails, folk music from Korea, originals and pop standards. It is difficult to really argue whether it is pop or jazz. Her voice is incredible and one of the purest I have heard in any context. She started off singing opera and I think her range is a giveaway as you need a degree of training to achieve that. I quite like the originals yet NIN's "Hurt" strikes me as being a great example of when someone in pop music manages to produce a gem of a song. Got to be honest here and say "Hurt" is as potent as any acoustic blues performance from 1920s - deeply personal and honest account of letting people down through drug addiction. (On NIN's part, not the singers!!) It is simply a very, very good record.

Comment

• Stanfordian
            • Dec 2010

‘Soul Shack’ - Sonny Stitt & Brother Jack McDuff
            Sonny Stitt & Brother Jack McDuff with Leonard Gaskin & Herbie Lovelle
            Prestige (1963)

Comment

• Jazzrook
              • Mar 2011

Archie Shepp on alto with Jaki Byard, Cecil McBee & Roy Haynes playing the Tadd Dameron title-track from the 1978 album 'Lady Bird':

"'Lady Bird' is a clean gas. Shepp does a reverse Ornette and picks up the alto, shedding many of his mannerisms on the way, although some of the honks and timbral manipulations remain. Mostly, though, he sounds like those fine second-division altos of the mid-Fifties: Ernie Henry, Clarence Sharpe and John Jenkins. In other words, not enough technique or imagination to be Bird, but pots full of passion, a raw sound and a desire to bop."

Richard Williams

JR

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                • Dec 2010

Ernie Henry, "second division"?! I sense blood....

Comment

• Stanfordian
                  • Dec 2010

'The Sermon!' - Jimmy Smith
                  i) Jimmy Smith with Lee Morgan, Lou Donaldson, Tina Brooks, Kenny Burrell & Art Blakey.
                  ii) Jimmy Smith with Lee Morgan, George Coleman, Eddie McFadden, Donald Bailey.
                  Blue Note (1958/59)

Comment

• Bert
                    Banned
                    • Apr 2020

Makoto Terashita & Harold Land - Topology, Makoto Terashita Meets Harold Land

Comment

• Jazzrook
                      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
                      Ernie Henry, "second division"?! I sense blood....
                      Yes, I've always thought that his 1957 album 'Seven Standards and a Blues' with Wynton Kelly, Wilbur Ware & Philly Joe Jones was first-division material:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

JR

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                        • Dec 2010

The Quartet album with Kenny Dorham and Wilbur Ware & GT Hogan, where the pianist didn't show up (or maybe designed that way), "Two Horns, Two Rythym" 1957, is great and a personal favourite...

Kenny's "Lotus Blossom"...http://youtu.be/Xv2inD_P8Fk almost into early Cherry/Coleman..."almost"

Comment

• Joseph K
                          Banned
                          • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
                          Yes, I've always thought that his 1957 album 'Seven Standards and a Blues' with Wynton Kelly, Wilbur Ware & Philly Joe Jones was first-division material:

JR
                          Listening now.

Comment

• Jazzrook
                            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
                            The Quartet album with Kenny Dorham and Wilbur Ware & GT Hogan, where the pianist didn't show up (or maybe designed that way), "Two Horns, Two Rythym" 1957, is great and a personal favourite...

Kenny's "Lotus Blossom"...http://youtu.be/Xv2inD_P8Fk almost into early Cherry/Coleman..."almost"
                            Thanks, BN. I have that CD somewhere and will have to dig it out again.
                            Henry also takes a fine solo on Monk's 'Ba-lue Bolivar Ba-lues-are' from 'Brilliant Corners'.
                            Tragic that he died not long after that session aged only 31.

Well, what with me getting my channel back up and running, it would seem that Youtube's graciously removed the arbitrary 10 minute video restriction in the y...

JR

Comment

• elmo
                              • Nov 2010

I fully agree with all the above comments and selections re Ernie Henry. I really like his passionate treatment of Autumn Leaves and All the things....... that follows this video

elmo

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                                • Dec 2010

Al McLean Quartet - "Theme for Ernie" ,written by Fred Lacey (a guitarist I believe), in tribute to the then recently deceased Ernie Henry. Song picked up by John Coltrane on "Soultrane"...Al McLean is a Canadian saxophonist I like a lot...

Comment

Working...
                                X