X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
    I've got the concert DVD of Steve Coleman with the Dave Holland group. One of the best lineups of that outfit. Gonsalves did record with Tubby Hayes "Boom chika Boom"? And Hayes famously stood in with the Ellington band when Paul was "indisposed". I think Gonsalves was a close friend of the British saxophonist, Jackie Sharpe?
    I didn't know that. I'm also not sure whether he and Tony Coe knew each other, though obviously Tony was strongly influenced by Gonsalves in his tenor playing. Ian is right: Gonsalves - and I would add Russel Procope's uniqueness, which also impacted on Coe - represented in many ways an alternative to the post-Hawkins/Young bop tenor interregnum represented par excellence by Dexter before the Coltrane influence clicked in in the early 1960s.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
      • Dec 2010

Paul Gonsalves - "Hummingbird" from 1970, with Kenny Wheeler, Dave Horler, Stan Tracey, Dave Green, Benny Goodman (not that one). There is evidence of a second tenor on some tracks and I've seen it suggested it's either Tony Coe or Jackie Sharpe. Apparently the date was one where users used. Gonsalves is notably "elsewhere"all through, but Kenny Wheeler is fine. Here tis...

Paul Gonsalves/Tubby Hayes - Tupa from the "Just Friends" 1964 album. I forgot they recorded two. Gonsalves a lot more energised here. Piano Stan Tracey....

Last edited by BLUESNIK'S REVOX; 29-03-20, 18:31.

Comment

• Tenor Freak
        • Dec 2010

I recall that Stan Tracey docu where he ruefully recalled that a BBC Omnibus (or similar arts docu) he did, when he was playing free stuff, was the last thing Paul Gonsalves heard before the tenor man died.

all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

• Joseph K
          Banned
          • Oct 2017

Kenny Barron/Dave Holland - Without Deception

Comment

• Stanfordian
            • Dec 2010

‘Doin’ Allright’ - Dexter Gordon
            Dexter Gordon with Freddie Hubbard, Horace Parlan, George Tucker & Al Harewood
            Blue Note (1961)

Comment

• Jazzrook
              • Mar 2011

Charles Mingus playing 'Haitian Fight Song' live at the Bohemia in 1955 with George Barrow, Eddie Bert, Mal Waldron & Willie Jones:

Provided to YouTube by Universal Music GroupHaitian Fight Song (Live) · The Charles Mingus QuintetThe Charles Mingus Quintet Plus Max Roach℗ 1955 Fantasy, In...

JR

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                • Dec 2010

Didn't quite know where to post this, but it's worth doing. From the latest Smalls New York newsletter, clubs are still paying rent through all this...

"...also wanted to mention that I received a very inspirational phone call from Wynton Marsalis last night who is working hard to find funding, not just for JALC but for individual musicians and small clubs. He's asked me to work with him and consult. I, of course, agreed. I think as artists and like minded people we can achieve support through unity. The arts and jazz must survive for the sake of Humanity. We can't give up. I send everyone my love and sincerest best wishes for your health and the health of your families and loved ones." - Spike"

Comment

• Stanfordian
                  • Dec 2010

‘Dexter Calling…’ - Dexter Gordon
                  Dexter Gordon with Kenny Drew, Paul Chambers & Philly Joe Jones
                  Blue Note (1961)

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                    • Nov 2010

....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f202...n4t9mu&index=3 ....tired myself out yesterday - with these drum beats going around me....
                    bong ching

Comment

• MrGongGong
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
                      ....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f202...n4t9mu&index=3 ....tired myself out yesterday - with these drum beats going around me....

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                        • Nov 2010

....that's a good concert and needs more rec'....
                        bong ching

Comment

• Jazzrook
                          • Mar 2011

Don Cherry playing Ornette Coleman's 'Chopin Chopeen' with Carlos Ward, Mark Helias, Ed Blackwell & Nana Vasconcelos live at Bracknell J.F., 1986:

Don Cherry,pocket trumpet,piano,vocals,doussn'gouni; Carlos Ward,alto saxophone, flute; Mark Helias,bass; Ed Blackwell,drums; Naná Vasconcelos,percussion,ber...

& same band live at San Sebastian, 1986:

Don Cherry (pocket trumpet, douss'n-gouni) Carlos Ward (as, fl) Mark Helias (b) Ed BlackweIl (d) Nana Vasconcelos (perc), Palacio de los Deportes de San Seba...

JR

Comment

• groovydavidii
                            • Dec 2010

Gerry Mulligan Meets Johnny Hodges (Verve), (Verve), Jimmy Giuffre–“The Train and the River’ Bob Brookmeyer, Jim Hall, etc., (Musica Jazz).

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by groovydavidii View Post
                              Gerry Mulligan Meets Johnny Hodges (Verve), (Verve), Jimmy Giuffre–“The Train and the River’ Bob Brookmeyer, Jim Hall, etc., (Musica Jazz).
                              Weirdly enough, I have ben playing "Gene Krupa plays the music of Gerry Mulligan" today. This is a record that I have always loved and I think the best thing Krupa ever recorded. Gerry Mulligan shaped Krupa's big band in the late 1940s and this record effectively sees an all star big band assembled to perform a number of charts which did not make it to wax at the time. Krupa is one of those musicians whose immense popularity during the Swing Era ultimately resulted in a bit of a backlash against his playing later on. On this disc, the stereo sound recording effectively captures why he was so highly considered by his peers and sees him really work for the band as opposed to being some sort of showman. It is fascinating to see just how be copes with more modern soloists such as Phil Woods and Hank Jones. If you wanted to select a record to illustrate Krupa's ability, I would tend to plump for this one more than anything he recorded with Goodman.

The band is superb too but, to be honest, it would be difficult to sound bad playing these charts. Mulligan's arranging ability for big band is somewhat overlooked these days. This record illustrates the extent of his skill with arrangements which predated his involvement with the Concert Jazz band. It is a great album.

Comment

Working...
                              X