Clear All
  • Joseph K
    Banned
    • Oct 2017

John Scofield - Grace Under Pressure

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
      • Dec 2010

Tadd Cameron - "The Scene is Clean", well it is after I've washed my hands ten times, and told the postman to just read my mail outside the door. "No Pasaran!", I shout at my cat, "Mobley".

Comment

• Joseph K
        Banned
        • Oct 2017

Monk with Trane - Live at the Five Spot

Comment

• Jazzrook
          • Mar 2011

Howlin' Wolf's guitarist Hubert Sumlin with Sunnyland Slim, Willie Dixon & Clifton James playing 'No Title Boogie' in Hamburg, 1964:

Hubert Sumlin 1931 - 2011Live at the American Folk Blues Festival 1964Fontana Records

JR

Comment

• Joseph K
            Banned
            • Oct 2017

Comment

• Padraig
              • Feb 2013

A Benny Goodman Trio played this number, Avalon, in earlier days, but this is one of his later quintets.

Benny Goodman, clarinet; Lionel Hampton, vibes; Teddy Wilson, piano; Gene Krupa, drums. With George Duvivier on bass. Hey, that Lionel Hampton's gotta be the...

Comment

• Stanfordian
                • Dec 2010

‘Hootin' 'n Tootin' - Fred Jackson
                Fred Jackson with Earl Van Dyke, Willie Jones, Sam Jones & Wilbert Hogan
                Blue Note (1962)

Comment

• Joseph K
                  Banned
                  • Oct 2017

John Coltrane - Live at the Village Vanguard Again!

Specifically, My Favorite Things via youtube. I used to own this album but have not got round to replacing it...

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                    ‘Hootin' 'n Tootin' - Fred Jackson
                    Fred Jackson with Earl Van Dyke, Willie Jones, Sam Jones & Wilbert Hogan
                    Blue Note (1962)

I love this album!!

For me it is the epitome of that kind of organ / soul jazz from that era. I think that the weirdest thing about it is the gospel aspect of the format is played down and replaced with the soulfulness of Coltrane. Whilst it is a totally different oeuvre to the one Coltrane worked in, I think his influence is discernible even though Fred Jackson also employs some typical R n/b style honks. Earl Vandyke's organ is also really untypical of what other people were doing with this instrument. I am amazed that it sold so poorly at the time that the follow up session was never released until much later. It is a very easy album to listen to by a group of musicians I believe had something to do with Ray Charles' band at the time.

I think this blues is one of the best tracks...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
                      A Benny Goodman Trio played this number, Avalon, in earlier days, but this is one of his later quintets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbU4zwhOGVg
                      I've always thought "Avalon" to be one of the few 1930s jazz tunes that foreshadows bebop in how it challenges the soloist to think beyond the conventions of the day: the "tune" as such, if it can be so-called, sounds like a slice taken from a longer improvisation and tacked onto the chord structure; also the structure of the bridge, consisting perfunctorily of a hook just descending chromatically through three key changes, amounting to no more than a substitute for a proper melodic bridge.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
                        I love this album!!

For me it is the epitome of that kind of organ / soul jazz from that era. I think that the weirdest thing about it is the gospel aspect of the format is played down and replaced with the soulfulness of Coltrane. Whilst it is a totally different oeuvre to the one Coltrane worked in, I think his influence is discernible even though Fred Jackson also employs some typical R n/b style honks. Earl Vandyke's organ is also really untypical of what other people were doing with this instrument. I am amazed that it sold so poorly at the time that the follow up session was never released until much later. It is a very easy album to listen to by a group of musicians I believe had something to do with Ray Charles' band at the time.

I think this blues is one of the best tracks...

Earl Van Dyke was "Detroit" and an early mainstay pianist/organist for Motown Records. He came over here with the first Motown review, backing the Supremes, Miracles, Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye etc. Georgie Fame was a later addition to that tour. Wilbert Hogan played with Lloyd Price's band, which actually employed a few "names". Baby Face Willett also.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                          • Dec 2010

‘Sketches of Spain’
                          Miles Davis & band, arranged and conducted by Gil Evans
                          Columbia (1959/60)

Comment

• Joseph K
                            Banned
                            • Oct 2017

John Coltrane - A Love Supreme, live in Antibes

This is some of my very all-time favourite music right here. Incredibly hard-swinging, fantastically bluesy... just absolutely incredible.

Comment

• Jazzrook
                              • Mar 2011

Don Ellis with Paul Bley, Gary Peacock & Gene Stone playing Billy Strayhorn's 'Johnny Come Lately' from his 1962 album 'Essence':

Essence (1962)Don Ellis (tp)Paul Bley (p)Gary Peacock (b)Gene Stone (d)

JR

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
                                Don Ellis with Paul Bley, Gary Peacock & Gene Stone playing Billy Strayhorn's 'Johnny Come Lately' from his 1962 album 'Essence':

Essence (1962)Don Ellis (tp)Paul Bley (p)Gary Peacock (b)Gene Stone (d)

JR
                                Aren't those Don Ellis Qrt records really interesting. That Quartet and the one with Jaki Byard. Ellis was ahead of his time. I'm no fan of his 364/6 time kafkan big bands but those ....

Comment

Working...
                                X