Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ian Thumwood
    • Dec 2010

I have been listening to the new Branford Marsalis album "The secret between the shadow and the soul." When I first acquired the record, I was in the throes of doing a lot of work from home and the aggressive nature of much of the music made it a distraction and I have only just had a chance today to listen a bit more attentively. There was a lot of favourable press regarding this album when it was released and it did make it to many critics "top ten" for 2019. I think I read somewhere in Jazzwise that Alyn had suggested it ws the album of the year - might be mistaken with that.

I have to say that the opening "Dance of the evil toys" really pitches much of the music on the disc towards the freer end of composer Eric Revis' own records and the notion that Marsalis is somehow channelling the kind of 1960's Post-bop often levelled at his generation of players is smashed within the opening choruses. This quartet has been in existence in some form or other since 1986 and the music it is now performing strikes me as a kind of barometer against which other bands can be judged. (and seen to fail.) I have to say that no other band in jazz at this point in time can play with this range of dynamics and switch from a musical maelstrom to a kind of lyricism which almost hints at Baroque music. For me, the most interesting element is that the ghost of Coltrane has been thoroughly exercised and that this band is offering a far more technically assured vision of the kind of impassioned jazz which followed in his wake. As I said, sometimes the nearest equivalent to the kind of no-holds-barred jazz I have heard in recent years is the stuff Eric Revis had produced with Ken Vandermark. Joey Calderazzo is someone who if often maligned yet on this record there is an awful lot of the pugnacious approach of Cecil Taylor in his playing. Even the cover of Keith Jarrett's "The windup" gets the kind of treatment which can only be described as a good kicking. I feel that the opening track takes some beating although the cover of Andrew Hill's "Snake hips waltz" is a standout for me. The whole band deserves credit with Justin Faulkner's drumming offering the kind of bombast really heard since Art Blakey was in his prime. It is interesting that the only negative review I have read so far suggested that Branford was now playing too outside.

I think that one of the most interesting qualities of recorded jazz in 2019 has been a robustness in the music which has totally rejected the kind of overwhelming respect for the studio which has seen a lot of very tame records produced which do not necessarily reflect the live experience. So far the albums of Branford Marsalis, JD Allen and James Carter strike me as being listening experiences akin to the live experience (the Carter disc was recorded at a gig at Newport) and perhaps the kinds of performances against which a lot of other material needs to be judged. Marsalis and Allen seem to me to be issuing albums which are not "projects" but an attempt to build an impressive body of work with a regular band. The latest Marsalis album is something I would thoroughly recommend as both genuine, hard swinging jazz and as statements that the music still has some balls.

Comment

• Stanfordian
      • Dec 2010

‘Clifford Jordan - In the World’
      Clifford Jordan with Richard Davis, Wilbur Ware, Julian Preister, Don Cherry, Kenny Dorham, Al Heath, Ed Blackwell, Roy Haynes, Wynton Kelly
      Strata-East (1969)

Comment

• Jazzrook
        • Mar 2011

Andrew Hill's 'Snake Hip Waltz' live at Montreux, 1975:

Andrew Hill - Snake Hip Waltz. Song from the album Live At Montreux.

JR

Comment

• Joseph K
          Banned
          • Oct 2017

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
            I have been listening to the new Branford Marsalis album "The secret between the shadow and the soul." When I first acquired the record, I was in the throes of doing a lot of work from home and the aggressive nature of much of the music made it a distraction and I have only just had a chance today to listen a bit more attentively. There was a lot of favourable press regarding this album when it was released and it did make it to many critics "top ten" for 2019. I think I read somewhere in Jazzwise that Alyn had suggested it ws the album of the year - might be mistaken with that.

I have to say that the opening "Dance of the evil toys" really pitches much of the music on the disc towards the freer end of composer Eric Revis' own records and the notion that Marsalis is somehow channelling the kind of 1960's Post-bop often levelled at his generation of players is smashed within the opening choruses. This quartet has been in existence in some form or other since 1986 and the music it is now performing strikes me as a kind of barometer against which other bands can be judged. (and seen to fail.) I have to say that no other band in jazz at this point in time can play with this range of dynamics and switch from a musical maelstrom to a kind of lyricism which almost hints at Baroque music. For me, the most interesting element is that the ghost of Coltrane has been thoroughly exercised and that this band is offering a far more technically assured vision of the kind of impassioned jazz which followed in his wake. As I said, sometimes the nearest equivalent to the kind of no-holds-barred jazz I have heard in recent years is the stuff Eric Revis had produced with Ken Vandermark. Joey Calderazzo is someone who if often maligned yet on this record there is an awful lot of the pugnacious approach of Cecil Taylor in his playing. Even the cover of Keith Jarrett's "The windup" gets the kind of treatment which can only be described as a good kicking. I feel that the opening track takes some beating although the cover of Andrew Hill's "Snake hips waltz" is a standout for me. The whole band deserves credit with Justin Faulkner's drumming offering the kind of bombast really heard since Art Blakey was in his prime. It is interesting that the only negative review I have read so far suggested that Branford was now playing too outside.

I think that one of the most interesting qualities of recorded jazz in 2019 has been a robustness in the music which has totally rejected the kind of overwhelming respect for the studio which has seen a lot of very tame records produced which do not necessarily reflect the live experience. So far the albums of Branford Marsalis, JD Allen and James Carter strike me as being listening experiences akin to the live experience (the Carter disc was recorded at a gig at Newport) and perhaps the kinds of performances against which a lot of other material needs to be judged. Marsalis and Allen seem to me to be issuing albums which are not "projects" but an attempt to build an impressive body of work with a regular band. The latest Marsalis album is something I would thoroughly recommend as both genuine, hard swinging jazz and as statements that the music still has some balls.
            How come I thought Joey Calderazzo was a WOMAN!!!??? I must've been confusing him with someone else. I remember seeing Joey as Mike Brcker's pianist in '86 at Bracknell and being impressed, even though HE was often passed off as yet another Herbie Hancock imitator of no originality. I'm going to seriously break my own strictures now by saying there can be as many Herbie Hancock imitators as possible, given that the original can only be at one place at any given time - and there are of course many because, as has been repeatedly pointed out, Mr Hancock has changed and brought so much to how jazz pianists can operate in group playing as well, of course, in making more of what jazz funk might otherwise have only been, aas seen in a lot of late 70s commercial outfits, with his albums from Headhunter onwards. Joey is drummer Gene Calderazzo's bruv - Gene is a wonderful enlivening presence on the British jazz scene, which can't be all that bad after all, and he's not short on giving his opinions!

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
              How come I thought Joey Calderazzo was a WOMAN!!!??? I must've been confusing him with someone else. I remember seeing Joey as Mike Brcker's pianist in '86 at Bracknell and being impressed, even though HE was often passed off as yet another Herbie Hancock imitator of no originality. I'm going to seriously break my own strictures now by saying there can be as many Herbie Hancock imitators as possible, given that the original can only be at one place at any given time - and there are of course many because, as has been repeatedly pointed out, Mr Hancock has changed and brought so much to how jazz pianists can operate in group playing as well, of course, in making more of what jazz funk might otherwise have only been, aas seen in a lot of late 70s commercial outfits, with his albums from Headhunter onwards. Joey is drummer Gene Calderazzo's bruv - Gene is a wonderful enlivening presence on the British jazz scene, which can't be all that bad after all, and he's not short on giving his opinions!
              Coming soon on Radio 3 Extra: It's "HANCOCK'S HALF BROTHERS"!

In this episode Herbie finds out he's been cloned and is now playing in eleven different bands across America, plus twice a night at
              Copenhagen's Cafe Montmartre. "If only I got paid", said an angry Mr Hancock, "and after every gig they didn't all go back to.my place".

Comment

• Joseph K
                Banned
                • Oct 2017

Listening currently to 'Nilaste' from the Marsalis album - indeed the piano playing uses Herbie licks...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
                  Coming soon on Radio 3 Extra: It's "HANCOCK'S HALF BROTHERS"!

In this episode Herbie finds out he's been cloned and is now playing in eleven different bands across America, plus twice a night at
                  Copenhagen's Cafe Montmartre. "If only I got paid", said an angry Mr Hancock, "and after every gig they didn't all go back to.my place".
                  After which, he gave them all a Rockit.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
                    Listening currently to 'Nilaste' from the Marsalis album - indeed the piano playing uses Herbie licks...
                    Joey

Anyone worth their salt as a jazz pianist will take something from Hancock's playing as Hancock is the probably only rivalled by Cecil Taylor and Paul Bley as the most significant jazz pianist from 1960s onwards. Personally, I don't see Calderazzo as a "licks" player but, if you say so, I suppose Branford Marsalis must be mistaken and has made a grave mistake in having him in his quartet since 1998. I suppose you would have preferred it if he added some shreading guitar synth to the band or at least replaced the piano with such lush keyboard patches?

I don't think Calderazzo's attack is anything like Hancock's playing and I would reiterate that tracks like this maybe have more in common with Eric Revis' recent quartet with Vandermark and Kris Davis - another pianist well worth checking out in you want to listen to more advanced styles of jazz.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                      • Dec 2010

Try this...

Probably the kind of stuff that Jazzrook will appreciate but a good comparison with the kind of territory the current Branford Marsalis quartet occupies. Might be a step too far for Joey. I would have to admit that this kind of stuff is like a breath of fresh air. I love the idea of jazz being a challenge and not betraying itself so that it does not lose it's identity. Don't find these two quartets to be a million miles apart and I love both groups.

Comment

• Joseph K
                        Banned
                        • Oct 2017

Mike Stern - Standards and Other Songs

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                            • Dec 2010

I managed to pick up a pristine re-release of George Gruntz' exceptional "First Prize, for my money, perhaps the best album he made. the album is exceptional and includes a whose who of the late 1980s jazz scene with a lot of the line up drafted in from Gil Evans' band. The musicians include Marvin Stamm, Stnaton Davis, Manfred Schoof, Franco Ambrosetti, Sharon Freeman, Howard Johnson, Chris Hunter, Larry Schneider and Adam Nussbaum. The most unusual aspect is the absence of trombones from the big band with this role filled by euphoniums, french horns and a tuba. The repertoire is top notch too and includes music by Amrosetti, Kenny Wheeler's "EBSBMO" and this number of Ray Anderson which sounds like Bob Crobsy's band gone a bit wrong....

The album cover has always reminded me of George Peppard's character in " The A-team." The plan really came together on this album.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                              • Dec 2010

This is a great tune too....

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                                • Dec 2010

It's always struck me as odd that it should have been a Swiss running one of the world's top big bands. Switzerland has produced a number of great composers (Martin, Honegger), not to my knowledge many jazz people. The Piccadilly Six, who operated from the Casa Bar in old Zurich when I worked there in the 1960s, was made up of ex-pat Brits. As did an earlier occupant of a house just up that particular cobbled street, VI Lenin. He was no jazzer either.

Comment

Working...
                                X