• Ian Thumwood
    • Dec 2010

It is better when it is funky!!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
      Sa

The reason you cannot hear it is because it is the wrong tune!

Should be "Fleche D' or"

Thanks Ian - TBH I still don't hear the semitonal modulations! Maybe I'm just in a bloody-minded mood today or something! What is amazing though is the tune itself - I've never heard the Hot Club tackling anything as boppish as this!

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
        Thanks Ian - TBH I still don't hear the semitonal modulations! Maybe I'm just in a bloody-minded mood today or something! What is amazing though is the tune itself - I've never heard the Hot Club tackling anything as boppish as this!
        You can hear the structure better on the James Carter version.

The HCdF recordings in the late 40's / early 50's showed a major shift towards Be-bop. They are generally not so well considered as the earlier stuff but interesting none-the-less. I am a bit on the fence with Django. I love his music in small doses and find that it is all really samey if you listen to the recordings at length. I am always amazed at the longevity of this style of jazz and how it has formed it's own sub-culture.

Comment

• Jazzrook
          • Mar 2011

James Blood Ulmer solo:

JR

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

You can hear the structure better on the James Carter version.

The HCdF recordings in the late 40's / early 50's showed a major shift towards Be-bop. They are generally not so well considered as the earlier stuff but interesting none-the-less. I am a bit on the fence with Django. I love his music in small doses and find that it is all really samey if you listen to the recordings at length. I am always amazed at the longevity of this style of jazz and how it has formed it's own sub-culture.
            Le Quecumbar in Battersea is the place in Town to experience it - not for me, well I might go along there should an out-of-town friend be an enthusiast, but the venue does look very attractive.

Le QuecumBar & Brasserie. Home, Music Calendar, Music Store, Book a Table, About, Gallery and Contact us/T&Cs/Menu/Drinks

Peasant style collarless tunic shirt, cream with stripe, plus knotted Gypsy-style neckerchief optional wear.

Comment

• Joseph K
              Banned
              • Oct 2017

Since we're on the topic of Gypsy Jazz, I decided to continue listening to this. I could listen to Lagrene for a long time!

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post

Brilliant!

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                Le Quecumbar in Battersea is the place in Town to experience it - not for me, well I might go along there should an out-of-town friend be an enthusiast, but the venue does look very attractive.

Le QuecumBar & Brasserie. Home, Music Calendar, Music Store, Book a Table, About, Gallery and Contact us/T&Cs/Menu/Drinks

Peasant style collarless tunic shirt, cream with stripe, plus knotted Gypsy-style neckerchief optional wear.
                Guess what?!! I should have listened to the tracks before posting them. The Django tune is actually on the Andy Brown quartet disc and not the James Carter one. The tune is question is "Appel direct." Here is the original version....

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                  • Dec 2010

Andy Brown version.....

The pianist on this record is really interesting with his choice of harmony and phrasing throughout the disc. You keep wondering what he is going to do throughout this record.

Comment

• Jazzrook
                    • Mar 2011

Cecil Taylor & Max Roach duo at Columbia University, 2000 followed by Art Ensemble of Chicago with Cecil Taylor, Paris 1984:

Cecil Taylor & Max Roach Duo at Columbia University - June 4, 2000

JR

Comment

• Joseph K
                      Banned
                      • Oct 2017

John Scofield, Joe Lovano, Dave Holland, Al Foster - JazzBaltica 2002

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                        • Dec 2010

‘Saxophone Colossus’ - Sonny Rollins
                        Sonny Rollins with Tommy Flanagan, Doug Watkins & Max Roach
                        Prestige (1956)

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Andy Brown version.....

The pianist on this record is really interesting with his choice of harmony and phrasing throughout the disc. You keep wondering what he is going to do throughout this record.
                          With you now! I would be wondering if the pianist was Stan Tracey, had he still been alive in 2015!

Comment

• Jazzrook
                            • Mar 2011

Elvin Jones Trio with Joe Farrell & Jimmy Garrison playing Jimmy Heath's 'Gingerbread Boy' from the 1968 album 'Puttin' It Together'(BLUE NOTE):

Elvin Jones, drums with Joe Farrell, tenor saxophone and Jimmy Garrison, bass from the 1968 recording Puttin' It Together.

JR

Comment

• Stanfordian
                              • Dec 2010

‘White Gardenia’ - Johnny Griffin
                              (tribute album to jazz singer Billie Holiday)
                              Johnny Griffin with Nat Adderley, Clarke Terry, Ernie Royal, Jimmy Cleveland, Paul Faulise, Urbie Green
                              Riverside (1961)

Comment

• CGR
                                • Aug 2016

Gratitude - Stage Door Live @ The Z
                                Greg Abate

Whaling City Sound

Comment

Working...
                                X