Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jazzrook
    • Mar 2011

Booker Ervin, Pony Poindexter, Ted Curson, Nathan Davis, Kenny Drew, Jimmy Woode & Edgar Bateman:

Ted Curson, trumpetPony Poindexter, altoBooker Ervin, tenorNathan Davis, fluteKenny Drew, pianoEdgar Bateman, drums

JR

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

A bustling Jazz Club broadcast by Ronnie Scott's band from January 1984 from Ron's collection, courtesy the British Jazz site - everyone on good form:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

One of the longest URLs I've ever had to transcribe - way up in the decibels, if not the Urals!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
        Booker Ervin, Pony Poindexter, Ted Curson, Nathan Davis, Kenny Drew, Jimmy Woode & Edgar Bateman:

Ted Curson, trumpetPony Poindexter, altoBooker Ervin, tenorNathan Davis, fluteKenny Drew, pianoEdgar Bateman, drums

JR
        Great stuff! I used to have an Annie Ross LP which had Pony Poindexter on, recorded in Germany in the company of mostly young German musicians in 1967 who really knew their stuff; it was the first time I heard Annie do her vocalese to James Moody's "Twisted" solo. Many moons later I was at a gig where James Moody was the main featured guest - and he sang that same version... of her version of his solo!!! Pony Poindexter was one of the young black American musicians who made his home in Europe at that time, I believe - he doesn't get much mentioned nowadays, despite being pretty good.

Comment

• Jazzrook
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
          Great stuff! I used to have an Annie Ross LP which had Pony Poindexter on, recorded in Germany in the company of mostly young German musicians in 1967 who really knew their stuff; it was the first time I heard Annie do her vocalese to James Moody's "Twisted" solo. Many moons later I was at a gig where James Moody was the main featured guest - and he sang that same version... of her version of his solo!!! Pony Poindexter was one of the young black American musicians who made his home in Europe at that time, I believe - he doesn't get much mentioned nowadays, despite being pretty good.
          Eric Dolphy appeared on Pony Poindexter's excellent 1962 album 'Pony's Express':

Provided to YouTube by Epic/LegacyLanyop · Pony PoindexterPony's Expressâ„— Originally Released 1962 Sony Music Entertainment Inc.Released on: 2007-05-14Auto-g...

JR

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
            Eric Dolphy appeared on Pony Poindexter's excellent 1962 album 'Pony's Express':

Provided to YouTube by Epic/LegacyLanyop · Pony PoindexterPony's Expressâ„— Originally Released 1962 Sony Music Entertainment Inc.Released on: 2007-05-14Auto-g...

JR

Pony looks older on the previous clip than I'd imagined. Time for a bit of researchin'.

Comment

• Stanfordian
              • Dec 2010

‘Screamin'’ – Brother Jack McDuff
              Brother Jack McDuff with Leo Wright, Joe Dukes & Kenny Burrell
              Prestige (1962)

Comment

• Jazzrook
                • Mar 2011

Tony Coe, Chris Laurence & Tony Oxley live at Willisau, 1983. I wish Hat Hut would reissue this great album:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

JR

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by jazzrook View Post
                  tony coe, chris laurence & tony oxley live at willisau, 1983. I wish hat hut would reissue this great album:

jr
                  yesssss!!!!!

Comment

• burning dog
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                    yesssss!!!!!
                    Yessss! Indeed.

Inspired me to listen to this album

Jimmy Giuffre - Free Fall

Comment

• Joseph K
                      Banned
                      • Oct 2017

Bill Evans - On Green Dolphin Street

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by burning dog View Post
                        Yessss! Indeed.

Inspired me to listen to this album

Jimmy Giuffre - Free Fall

Thanks very much, BD - Evan Parker rates that one the best by the trio, and I've been wanting to listen to it for some time.

Comment

• Joseph K
                          Banned
                          • Oct 2017

Provided to YouTube by Columbia/LegacyStraight, No Chaser (Live at the Newport Jazz Festival, Newport, RI - July 1958) · Miles Davis · John Coltrane · Bill E...

Miles Davis Sextet - Straight No Chaser, live at Newport

Miles' solo is one of the first I transcribed, just off the CD - transcription, or, more properly speaking, dictation, is much easier now if you use you tube because it enables you to slow it down!

I love this album and this performance in particular - Bill Evans' solo is also great.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                            • Dec 2010

Chuck Berry, "Wee Wee Hours" (Chess 78 1955)

In my 'umble opinion, the finest thing Chuck ever cut. Guitar, piano, bass and drums like a fine curry. Johnny Johnson's piano, the finest "spice". Is it "jazz"? Do anything?

Comment

• Joseph K
                              Banned
                              • Oct 2017

New Jazz Conceptions - Bill Evans

Comment

• Joseph K
                                Banned
                                • Oct 2017

Everybody Digs Bill Evans

Comment

Working...