X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joseph K
    Banned
    • Oct 2017

Disk 5 of the John Coltrane European Tour 1961 box.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
      Archie Shepp playing 'Lush Life' with Horace Parlan in 1992:

Archie Shepp quartet, "Lush life", album Black ballads, 1992 Archie Shepp, tenor saxophone, alto saxophone Wayne Dockery, bass Steve McRaven, drums Horace P...

JR
      Thinking back to Peter King's unaccompanied version of the tune, I wonder to what extent Eric Dolphy's 1961 unaccompanied version of "Tenderly" was an influence.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Not that Peter was particularly influenced by Dolphy directly - though both were of course disciples of Charlie Parker; but I'm thinking that in this instance Peter owed more to Coltrane's "sheets of sound" methodology, developed between 1957 and 1959 with Monk and subsequently Miles Davis, which was more to do with elaborating a harmonic context to the tune while simultaneously improvising on it, in other words what some would call "vertical improvisation" - namely delivering chordal structures that would otherwise be impossible on a monophonic instrument as arpeggios - as opposed to the more "horizontal", or melodic, modal approach that really only comes in after leaving Miles. Peter King used to say that it was his soprano sax work that owed most to Trane, whereas his alto playing continued to owe much to Bird. I can remember talking about this with Ron Caines, and Ron saying that probably the largest influence of Peter King after his Parker period was Phil Woods: "Peter King is Phil Woods" Ron would say!

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
        • Dec 2010

Phil Woods is a player that always nails it for me. There was a degree of bite in his playing that immediately grabs your attention and I have always loved his solos on Gil Evans' "Impressionism" album which is a bit of hodge-podge of different recording sessions. He was also a pretty good writer for big band as his charts often cropped up on the programmes by the BBC Radio big band in the 1980s.

Comment

• Jazzrook
          • Mar 2011

Mike Westbrook Trio with Chris Biscoe & Kate Westbrook playing Billy Strayhorn's 'Lush Life':

Kate Westbrook, Mike Westbrook and Chris Biscoe perform Mike Westbrook's arrangement of Billy Strayhorn's Lush Life

JR

Comment

• Stanfordian
            • Dec 2010

‘Peckin Time’ – Hank Mobley
            Hank Mobley with Lee Morgan, Wynton Kelly, Kenny Dorham, Paul Chambers & Charlie Persip
            Blue Note (1958)

Comment

• cloughie
              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
              I really like Luciana Souza and would recommend "The New Bossa nova" which is effectively a set of singer-songwriter material which is rather akin to Norma Winstone. The band behind her is ace too. "Tide" is really good too albeit this consists of originals but you can pick up the former disc cheaply and I would recommend snapping it promptly before it disappears.
              Duly acquired and listened - a lovely CD - great musicians and a lovely clean uncluttered sound! Larry Klein may be an influence on the sound! Thanks again Ian

Comment

• Joseph K
                Banned
                • Oct 2017

Provided to YouTube by The Orchard EnterprisesBillie's Bounce · Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen · Tete Montoliu · Billy Higgins · Dexter GordonBouncin' with De...

Dexter Gordon - Billie's Bounce

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
                  Mike Westbrook Trio with Chris Biscoe & Kate Westbrook playing Billy Strayhorn's 'Lush Life':

Kate Westbrook, Mike Westbrook and Chris Biscoe perform Mike Westbrook's arrangement of Billy Strayhorn's Lush Life

JR
                  Thanks for this JR - I'm pretty comprehensive with my Westbrookiana, and a member of the small but select Kate Westbrook Admiration Society, but I don't think I've ever heard them perform this number.

Chris Biscoe is wonderful on there, as ever: one of our best but most under-celebrated players. I saw him play at the Oval in Croydon just this Sunday alongside trumpeter Chris Batchelor, with Gary Willcox on drums - Way Out West's house drummer these days - and Larry Bartley on bass: a sequence of on-the-spot standards, mostly Monk and Mingus, but also Ornette Coleman's Lonely Woman, with every bit of the original's emotion eked out to the very end, and Arthur Blythe's Slidin' Through, from the celebrated Lennox Avenue Breakdown LP. An admission here: although the gathered expertise comprising Chris's wife Sue, Sheila who runs Way Out West Jazz, drummer Dave Barry and his wife were gathered, and everyone knew the album title, none of us could recall the name of the number, Slidin' Through, which I have just this moment had to check by putting said album on the turntable!

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                    • Nov 2010

....Tubby Hayes : Rumpus....from album of found material recently released....
                    bong ching

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                      Thanks for this JR - I'm pretty comprehensive with my Westbrookiana, and a member of the small but select Kate Westbrook Admiration Society, but I don't think I've ever heard them perform this number.

Chris Biscoe is wonderful on there, as ever: one of our best but most under-celebrated players. I saw him play at the Oval in Croydon just this Sunday alongside trumpeter Chris Batchelor, with Gary Willcox on drums - Way Out West's house drummer these days - and Larry Bartley on bass: a sequence of on-the-spot standards, mostly Monk and Mingus, but also Ornette Coleman's Lonely Woman, with every bit of the original's emotion eked out to the very end, and Arthur Blythe's Slidin' Through, from the celebrated Lennox Avenue Breakdown LP. An admission here: although the gathered expertise comprising Chris's wife Sue, Sheila who runs Way Out West Jazz, drummer Dave Barry and his wife were gathered, and everyone knew the album title, none of us could recall the name of the number, Slidin' Through, which I have just this moment had to check by putting said album on the turntable!
                      ....love em....going to listen to it now....
                      bong ching

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                        • Dec 2010

That Arthur Blythe record is incredible. You don't seem to have soloists who play with that kind of aggression these days nor major record labels flirting with something so challenging.

I have been listen to the "new" Paul Bley record "When will the blues leave." The rest of the trio is made up of Gary Peacock and Paul Motian. It is a terrific disc which captures a live concert back in 1999. I find it really hard to judge PB's records as they are consistently high in quality. This concert includes a lot of familiar repertoire such as "Mazatlán" and the title track. For my money, I think that Paul Bley was one of the greatest jazz musicians of all time and would struggle to name any jazz musician who could get in the "zone" more quickly and consistently than him. There never seems to be any noodling in his playing.

This live record is really decent and , although live, has excellent sound quality. What is intriguing is that this concert was about the time I started to lose faith in ECM. There have been plenty of new, "up and coming" piano trios captured by the label in the intervening 21 years yet they totally miss the combination of both risk and focus of this trio. It just feels like a difference between men and boys. I appreciate that the piano trio has been the overriding jazz vehicle for a lot of this period and that there are a number of groups who have been really popular. Despite this, I don't any of them get to play at the same level as Bely / Peacock / Motian.

Comment

• Jazzrook
                          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

Kate Westbrook is hugely underrated.
                          Here's her remarkable and radical treatment of 'Love For Sale' in 1993. It's currently available as a bonus on the DVD of 'Mama Chicago', a film first shown on BBC TV in 1981.

The Westbrook Trio live in St. Etienne in 1993 from the Mama Chicago DVDKate Westbrook - voice, Chris Biscoe - saxophone, Mike Westbrook - piano.

JR
                          Last edited by Jazzrook; 14-01-20, 21:35.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                            • Dec 2010

‘Plus’ – Cannonball Adderley
                            Cannonball Adderley with Nat Adderley, Wynton Kelly, Victor Feldman, Sam Jones & Louis Hayes
                            Riverside (1961)

Comment

• Jazzrook
                              • Mar 2011

I remember being stunned by Phil Minton's performance of 'Concrete', the finale of the Mike Westbrook Band's 'Mama Chicago' when first shown on BBC TV in 1981.
                              It still has a powerful impact on me today.

Phil Minton doing some Welsh yodelling with the Mike Westbrook band in Mama Chicago from sometime in the 1980's. The band includes Chris Biscoe on the Sax.Th...

JR

Comment

• Stanfordian
                                • Dec 2010

'True Blue' - Tina Brooks
                                Tina Brooks with Freddie Hubbard, Duke Jordan & Art Taylor
                                Blue Note (1960)

'Cross-Platform Interchange' - Misha Mullov-Abbado
                                Misha Mullov-Abbado with James Davison, Matthew Herd, Sam Rapley, Liam Dunachie & Scott Chapman.
                                Includes guests Elad Neeman, Matthew Barley, Nick Goodwin, Rob Luft & Yusuf Narcin
                                Edition Records (2017)
                                Last edited by Stanfordian; 16-01-20, 14:39.

Comment

Working...
                                X