• Joseph K
    Banned
    • Oct 2017

Tal Farlow and Lenny Breau - Cherokee

Comment

• Stanfordian
      • Dec 2010

'Blowing in from Chicago' - Cliff Jordan, John Gilmore
      Cliff Jordan & John Gilmore with Horace Silver, Curly Russell & Art Blakey
      Blue Note (1957)

One of my favourite jazz albums!
      Last edited by Stanfordian; 18-12-19, 11:17.

Comment

• Stanfordian
        • Dec 2010

'Go Lightly' - Blue Mitchell
        Blue Mitchell with Leo Wright, Joe Henderson, Herbie Hancock, Gene Taylor & Roy Brooks
        Blue Note (1963)

Comment

• Jazzrook
          • Mar 2011

Charles Mingus Sextet with Eric Dolphy, Clifford Jordan, Johnny Coles, Jaki Byard & Dannie Richmond at Cornell University on March 18, 1964:

Charles Mingus Sextet at Cornell University - Take the "A" Train (1964)Personnel: Johnny Coles (trumpet), Eric Dolphy (bass clarinet), Clifford Jordan (tenor...

JR

Comment

• Stanfordian
            • Dec 2010

‘The Hard Swing’ - Sonny Stitt
            Sonny Stitt with Amos Trice, George Morrow & Lennie McBrowne
            Verve (1959)

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Just now listened to "Folks" - a duet of Paul Dunmall and bassist Paul Rogers, broadcast from the 1995 Bath Festival. Rogers announces, "That was an old folk tune - about ten minutes old". This was Dunmall's first outing on border pipes, in addition to his soprano sax and clarinet. A few years earlier he had been in Danny Thompson's folk-inspired band Whatever - Tony Roberts was the one on the pipes in that, John Etheridge on guitar and really in his element. Danny's usp ensured something of a folkie following, through I remember two of the Shetland cardigan brigade leaving at half-time, the man saying to his partner, "And I thought this was going to be a folk gig". Keith Tippett, in the audience, had said, "If this is folk music, then my band is folk music"!

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                • Dec 2010

Blue Mitchell, "Alone, Alone and Alone" (Bluenote), a lovely ballad written by trumpeter Terumasa Hino during Blue's tour there. "They really listen there, it's a great tune and he's a very good trumpet player" - Blue Mitchell.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                  • Dec 2010

Terumasa (live in Germany 1973) with his own tune "Alone" as above. He takes it much further "out" but he was indeed a strong player. And I've read, punched a young drummer who sat in with him and who then took a drum solo going on for ever. Got to admire that!

Comment

• Stanfordian
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
                    Blue Mitchell, "Alone, Alone and Alone" (Bluenote), a lovely ballad written by trumpeter Terumasa Hino during Blue's tour there. "They really listen there, it's a great tune and he's a very good trumpet player" - Blue Mitchell.

http://youtu.be/q1Xtz-Xj1NQ
                    Great stuff! I'm a big fan of Blue Mitchell. I think I'll get one of his albums out for tomorrow.
                    Last edited by Stanfordian; 19-12-19, 15:07.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                      Great stuff! I'm a big fan of Blue Mitchell. I think I'll get one of his albums out tomorrow.
                      From memory, Blue Mitchell did an album with John Mayall, somewhere around 1970.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                        From memory, Blue Mitchell did an album with John Mayall, somewhere around 1970.
                        Yes, he did. I think Joni rather than Blue might have been better suited to accompanying Mayall!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                          Yes, he did. I think Joni rather than Blue might have been better suited to accompanying Mayall!

Ah, I just twigged!

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

Ah, I just twigged!
                            In the 70s, as times grew harder for that generation of jazz musicians, both Blue Mitchell and Johnny Coles were together in Ray Charles' trumpet section. He had a remarkable list of players through his outfits, from Tina Brooks, Grachun Moncur, Julian Priester etc.etc. Even Ed Blackwell in the 50s.

Blue's big feature was (appropriately) "I remember Clifford".

Comment

• Jazzrook
                              • Mar 2011

Blue Mitchell with Sonny Red, John Hicks, Gene Taylor & Joe Chambers playing 'Fungi Mama' at the Crystal Ballroom, Baltimore in 1966:

Provided to YouTube by The Orchard EnterprisesFungi Mama (Live) · Blue Mitchell · Sonny RedBlue Mitchell & Sonny Red Baltimore 1966 (Live)℗ 2016 Uptown Recor...

JR

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                                • Dec 2010

From Organissimo...

"Down Beat, May 20, 1976 -- Blue Mitchell on touring with John Mayall:

"I've never seen them (Basie and Ellington) get the kind of receptions we used to get. When we were abroad in Australia or New Zealand, there would be receptions at the airports, and press conferences in rooms filled with cameras and floodlights. I must say John (Mayall) wasn't a selfish man, because when they started asking him too many questions he'd say, "Talk to some of my men; you've got Blue Mitchell here and Clifford Solomon, they're well-known musicians."

Jack Walrath, who was also in Ray Charles band with Blue, said that while he didn't have (or perhaps use) a great range, all his solos immediately grabbed you because of his tone, feeling and phrasing. I really think the Horace Silver front line of Junior Cook and Blue Mitchell needs some recognition. They produced some outstanding stuff, they were not just merely adequate or just OK, as Cool/Morton implies.

Comment

Working...
                                X