Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jazzrook
    • Mar 2011

Booker Little's 1961 sextet album 'Out Front'(CANDID) with Eric Dolphy, Julian Priester, Don Friedman, Art Davis or Ron Carter & Max Roach:

JR

Comment

• gurnemanz
      • Nov 2010

Sadly, I can't contribute here so often because I don't listen to so much jazz nowadays. On Saturday, however, we went to our first live jazz gig for 38 years. We were visiting our daughter who lives in Streatham, a couple of minutes walk form the Hideaway jazz venue. We saw a marvellous Brazilian jazz funk trio Ayzmuth, including Alex Malheiros on bass guitar and Ivan Conti on drums, both born 1946. A great evening.

Our previous jazz concert was John Surman at the Arnolfini in Bristol and I remember clearly that it was 38 years ago because our daughter was in the womb and she was jumping around enthusiastically in there to the penetrating baritone sax sound.

Comment

• Stanfordian
        • Dec 2010

‘Hi Voltage’ - Hank Mobley
        Hank Mobley with Jackie McLean, Blue Mitchell, John Hicks, Bob Cranshaw & Billy Higgins
        Blue Note (1967)

Comment

• elmo
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by muzzer View Post
          Has anyone got the “new” Coltrane - Blue World?
          Yes its a good album it doesn't tell us anything we don't already know about the Quartet. 1964 gave us Crescent and ALS and this does not reach those creative heights, the sleeve notes outline the background to the album as the soundtrack to a Gilles Groulx movie "Le chat dans le sac". Trane used some of his earlier compositions from the Prestige and Atlantic periods Traneing in, Like Sonny, Naima and Village Blues, the solos are all short and the whole album only lasts about 35 mins but what is there is very good. Trane more relaxed and conventional, more like " Ballads" than "Ascension.

elmo

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
            • Dec 2010

I have been working my way through a 4-CD box set of Louis Armstrong's recordings from the 1920s. This is deemed to be the complete Hot 5's and 7's but the reality of the JSP box set is that is includes so much more. A lot of the music is obviously familiar yet a surprising percentage is new to me. I would have to say that the remastering by John R T Davies restores the sound to a level well beyond what you usually expect from this era.

There are some revelations amongst the recordings. I was surprised just how intense some of Armstrong's solos are which I feel are on a comparative level to later Coltrane. It is also interesting how far Armstrong was already moving away from the more collective, New Orleans style of jazz from the beginning and over the 4 year period covered (1925-1929)he had already firmly realigned himself with more modern soloists. There is plenty on here to absorb and comment on. Two musicians alongside Armstrong really impress me. The first is Earl Hines who is probably the only other soloist on the set working at a similar creative level to the leader. The other musician is drummer Zutty Singleton who comes directly in to the picture with the remastering and affords the groups he is performing with a degree of modernity with his relaxed style which is a marked contrast to the sometimes clomping rhythm of his contemporaries. Small wonder Singleton also performed alongside Charlie Parker in 1945 in a Slim Gaillard group and not as incongruous as it might seem. These recordings are the bedrock of jazz yet gens like "Fireworks" are relatively unknown. I would thoroughly recommend this box set to anyone who does not have it. To say it is essential is a massive understatement.

Comment

• Joseph K
              Banned
              • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
              I have been working my way through a 4-CD box set of Louis Armstrong's recordings from the 1920s. This is deemed to be the complete Hot 5's and 7's but the reality of the JSP box set is that is includes so much more. A lot of the music is obviously familiar yet a surprising percentage is new to me. I would have to say that the remastering by John R T Davies restores the sound to a level well beyond what you usually expect from this era.

There are some revelations amongst the recordings. I was surprised just how intense some of Armstrong's solos are which I feel are on a comparative level to later Coltrane. It is also interesting how far Armstrong was already moving away from the more collective, New Orleans style of jazz from the beginning and over the 4 year period covered (1925-1929)he had already firmly realigned himself with more modern soloists. There is plenty on here to absorb and comment on. Two musicians alongside Armstrong really impress me. The first is Earl Hines who is probably the only other soloist on the set working at a similar creative level to the leader. The other musician is drummer Zutty Singleton who comes directly in to the picture with the remastering and affords the groups he is performing with a degree of modernity with his relaxed style which is a marked contrast to the sometimes clomping rhythm of his contemporaries. Small wonder Singleton also performed alongside Charlie Parker in 1945 in a Slim Gaillard group and not as incongruous as it might seem. These recordings are the bedrock of jazz yet gens like "Fireworks" are relatively unknown. I would thoroughly recommend this box set to anyone who does not have it. To say it is essential is a massive understatement.
              I used to own this boxed set - it was stolen, except for one CD which I had kept on me in my CD wallet - this was the CD which features the tune 'Hotter than that', which is probably my favourite Louis Armstrong tune I've heard. I probably should reorder the box.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                • Dec 2010

‘Workout’ - Hank Mobley
                Hank Mobley with Grant Green, Wynton Kelly, Paul Chambers & Philly Joe Jones
                Blue Note (1961)

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
                  I used to own this boxed set - it was stolen, except for one CD which I had kept on me in my CD wallet - this was the CD which features the tune 'Hotter than that', which is probably my favourite Louis Armstrong tune I've heard. I probably should reorder the box.
                  You could of course always ask Ian to return it!!!!!

Comment

• Jazzrook
                    • Mar 2011

Miles Davis with John Coltrane, Wynton Kelly, Paul Chambers & Jimmy Cobb live at Olympia Theatre, Paris on March 21, 1960:

Miles Davis & John Coltrane, "On green dolphin street", live in Paris, 1960Miles Davis, trumpetJohn Coltrane, tenor saxophone Wynton Kelly, piano Paul Chambe...

JR

Comment

• Stanfordian
                      • Dec 2010

'Step Lightly' - Blue Mitchell
                      Blue Mitchell with Leo Wright, Joe Henderson, Herbie Hancock, Gene Taylor & Roy Brooks
                      Blue Note (1963)

Comment

• Joseph K
                        Banned
                        • Oct 2017

I've just been into Birmingham and bought some CDs - Chick Corea 5 original albums collection volume 2 - something I'm not sure I'd have bought if it were online shopping. The first disk, 'The Leprechaun' was pretty good, now I have the second one on, 'Secret Agent', pretty good so far.

I also picked up 'Smokin' at the Half Note' by Wes Montgomery, a replacement, and Thelonious Monk - The Complete Album collection 1954-57.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

I've just been into Birmingham and bought some CDs - Chick Corea 5 original albums collection volume 2 - something I'm not sure I'd have bought if it were online shopping. The first disk, 'The Leprechaun' was pretty good, now I have the second one on, 'Secret Agent', pretty good so far.

I also picked up 'Smokin' at the Half Note' by Wes Montgomery, a replacement, and Thelonious Monk - The Complete Album collection 1954-57.
                          I think it probably fair to point out that today is the birthday of both Joseph K and myself. Happy birthday Joseph! (He has already wished me mine). He, like myself, has obviously reached the age where he is having to buy his own birthday presents, whereas I am old enough to be his grandfather.

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                            I think it probably fair to point out that today is the birthday of both Joseph K and myself. Happy birthday Joseph! (He has already wished me mine). He, like myself, has obviously reached the age where he is having to buy his own birthday presents, whereas I am old enough to be his grandfather.
                            Just what are you suggesting?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                              Just what are you suggesting?
                              Suggesting?? Moi???

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                                Gone fishin'
                                • Sep 2011

Wot?! No Louis Armstrong??!!!

Brilliant shopping, Joseph - hope it was just one of many delights for you today.
                                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                                X