X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
    'Cookin at The Plugged Nickel' by the second great quintet of Miles Davis, which also arrived today.
    I once held the fervent belief that those Plugged Nickel sessions, along with the band's conceptual development of the preceding 3 years, had utterly changed jazz permanently, and that never again would it make any sense to play standards in the same old way. How wrong I was!

Comment

• Joseph K
      Banned
      • Oct 2017

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Keith Jarrett Trio - Straight, No Chaser

Comment

• Stanfordian
        • Dec 2010

Naturally!’ - Nat Adderley
        Nat Adderley with:
        a) Joe Zawunul, Sam Jones & Louis Hayes
        b) Wynton Kelly, Paul Chambers & Philly Joe Jones
        Jazzland (1961)
        Last edited by Stanfordian; 23-10-19, 13:32.

Comment

• Stanfordian
          • Dec 2010

‘Midnight Blue’ - Kenny Burrell
          Kenny Burrell with Stanley Turrentine, Major Holley Jr., Bill English & Ray Barretto
          Blue Note (1967)

Comment

• Stanfordian
            • Dec 2010

‘A Sure Thing’ - Blue Mitchell
            Blue Mitchell with Clark Terry, Julius Watkins, Jerome Richardson, Jimmy Heath, Wynton Kelly, Sam Jones & Albert Heath
            Riverside (1962)

Comment

• Joseph K
              Banned
              • Oct 2017

Kenny Baron Trio - Autumn Leaves

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                • Dec 2010

Listening this afternoon to Norwegian Jazz Radio (NRK jazz, recommended), and they played this, Lennie Tristano's "Requiem" (for Charlie Parker) from c. 1955 on Atlantic. I'd forgotten how good it is and how somewhat unexpected. I remember Humph playing it way back in the day and how surprised it was Tristano , overdubbed pianos.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
                  Listening this afternoon to Norwegian Jazz Radio (NRK jazz, recommended), and they played this, Lennie Tristano's "Requiem" (for Charlie Parker) from c. 1955 on Atlantic. I'd forgotten how good it is and how somewhat unexpected. I remember Humph playing it way back in the day and how surprised it was Tristano , overdubbed pianos.

http://youtu.be/JjcCqciOAf4
                  That piece gave me lots of useful ideas about playing slow blues on the piano - the open tenths in the left hand - and I had great fun working out those wonderful chromatic chords at the beginning.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                    • Dec 2010

I have had to do work from the office at home yesterday and played a pile of CDs all day because I had become disillusioned with football after Friday evening. Worked my way through a number of discs:-

1. The Lester Young collection - 1936-47

2. Paul Bley solo - "Tears." An amazingly brilliant album.

3.Wayne Shorter - "Native dancer."

4. Tania Maria- " Come with me."

5. John Hollenbeck orchestra - "Songs I like a lot."

6. Angelique Kidjo & the Luxembourg Philharmonic

7 . Tom Waits - "Swordfish trombones"

8. Seed Ensemble - "Drift glass."

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                      • Dec 2010

David Murray / trio..."The Hill" LP/CD Black Saint 1988, with Richard Davis bass, Joe Chambers drums.

This by far is the one David Murray record for me, I bought it when it came out, lent it, so lost it. Listening to it again it's a great record by anyone's standards. I have "issues" with Murray but not with this at all. And Davis & Chambers http://youtu.be/2XuPmc8rUmgare essential to its success...

Comment

• Joseph K
                        Banned
                        • Oct 2017

Kenny Baron here has a very idiosyncratic rhythmic and harmonic approach. Regarding the former, he has quite a light, staccato touch and swing, and the relation between what each hand is playing is kind of off-kilter. And he comes up with some nice harmonic substitutions, Dave Holland seems pleased with a few of his phrases and says so at, for example, around 2:40; of course Holland himself is also very inventive. This is a nice performance.

Comment

• muzzer
                          • Nov 2013

Has anyone got the “new” Coltrane - Blue World?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
                            Kenny Baron here has a very idiosyncratic rhythmic and harmonic approach. Regarding the former, he has quite a light, staccato touch and swing, and the relation between what each hand is playing is kind of off-kilter. And he comes up with some nice harmonic substitutions, Dave Holland seems pleased with a few of his phrases and says so at, for example, around 2:40; of course Holland himself is also very inventive. This is a nice performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cg7dgTbRT34
                            I have to say I'm not fond of that particular bass Dave Holland plays and has been playing for some years now - it lacks resonance in the lower register, and I put that down to the shape of the instrument. I hate it when favourite bass players of mine go in for expensive unconventional instruments, which they obviously think does their otherwise phenomenal playing a service. Those who evolved the shape of instrument knew what they were doing for obtaining optimal tonal richness! Oh and by the way it's BARRON, so you forfeit your KNIGHThood, Joseph!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
                              David Murray / trio..."The Hill" LP/CD Black Saint 1988, with Richard Davis bass, Joe Chambers drums.

This by far is the one David Murray record for me, I bought it when it came out, lent it, so lost it. Listening to it again it's a great record by anyone's standards. I have "issues" with Murray but not with this at all. And Davis & Chambers http://youtu.be/2XuPmc8rUmgare essential to its success...
                              Thanks BN - I'll have a listen to that tomorrow morning.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                                • Dec 2010

‘Redd’s Blues’ - Freddie Redd
                                Freddie Redd with Benny Bailey, Jackie McLean, Tina Brooks, Paul Chambers & Sir John Godfrey
                                Blue Note (1961)

Comment

Working...
                                X