X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cloughie
    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
    Wondered if anyone else watched the Eric Clapton film on TV last night. I did not see it all as I have had to get up early for a seminar in Winchester this morning but I came away with little empathy as a person whilst having far more respect for him as a musician. The musical element of the documentary confirmed my suspicion of him as a deeply serious musician although I was not so aware of how much contempt he had for pop music. It was quite interesting let alone featuring the music of Cream who nowadays probably seem more in keeping with jazz than with what rock has become. It was a genuine portrait of an improvising musician although I wish there had been more insight in to how be tackled improvisation.
    I’ll try to catch up with that - EC has over the years produced a bewildering discography over the years ranging from ‘very good indeed’ to ‘why?’. Maybe he needed better musicians around him to give him a ‘kick up the backside’ to deliver, although that often resulted in him strumming rhythm to let them shine!

Comment

• Jazzrook
      • Mar 2011

Tony Oxley's 1969 album 'The Baptised Traveller' with Evan Parker, Kenny Wheeler, Derek Bailey & Jeff Clyne:

From the album "The Baptised Traveller" (Columbia Records 1969)Personnel: Tony Oxley (drums), Evan Parker (tenor saxophone), Kenny Wheeler (trumpet, flugelho...

JR

Comment

• Joseph K
        Banned
        • Oct 2017

Miles Davis - Isle of Wight

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
          Tony Oxley's 1969 album 'The Baptised Traveller' with Evan Parker, Kenny Wheeler, Derek Bailey & Jeff Clyne:

From the album "The Baptised Traveller" (Columbia Records 1969)Personnel: Tony Oxley (drums), Evan Parker (tenor saxophone), Kenny Wheeler (trumpet, flugelho...

JR
          Lovely! I got the CD re-issue of a decade and a half ago, when loads of brilliant Brit jazz from that era was being brought out and one made the most of it; but I still haven't the heart to get rid of my vinyl copy! I also love the more abstract direction that band moved into after Baptised Traveller.

Comment

• Jazzrook
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
            Lovely! I got the CD re-issue of a decade and a half ago, when loads of brilliant Brit jazz from that era was being brought out and one made the most of it; but I still haven't the heart to get rid of my vinyl copy! I also love the more abstract direction that band moved into after Baptised Traveller.
            Thanks, S_A.
            A wonderful album that stands up well after 50 years.
            I'm also hanging on to my original LP copy on CBS REALM.

JR

Comment

• gradus
              • Nov 2010

The astonishing Ben Holder with Chris Ingham, George Double, Joe Pettitt in concert this evening. If you haven't seen/heard him you're missing someone special.

Comment

• Joseph K
                Banned
                • Oct 2017

The song 'Tullio' by Allan Holdsworth, which features one of his most complicated/longest chord changes...

Comment

• Jazzrook
                  • Mar 2011

Tony Williams Quintet live in NY, 1989 with Wallace Roney, Bill Pierce, Mulgrew Miller & Ira Coleman:

Tony Williams Quintet live in NY. 1989 Part 1 of 2Track Listing: City Of Lights Geo Rose - 7:50 Warrior - 17:50 Sister Cheryl - 25:23Wallace Roney, trumpet...

JR

Comment

• Stanfordian
                    • Dec 2010

‘Sketches of Spain’ - Miles Davis
                    Miles Davis & band, arranged and conducted by Gil Evans
                    Columbia (1959/60)

Comment

• Joseph K
                      Banned
                      • Oct 2017

Miles Davis: first disk of the Japan edition Plugged Nickel live recording.

Comment

• Joseph K
                        Banned
                        • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
                        Miles Davis: first disk of the Japan edition Plugged Nickel live recording.

It's been too long since I last listened to this. It's great.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                          • Dec 2010

‘Down with It!’ - Blue Mitchell

Blue Mitchell with Junior Cook, Chick Corea, Gene Taylor & Al Foster
                          Blue Note (1965)

Comment

• Jazzrook
                            • Mar 2011

Yusef Lateef(tenor sax) with Kenny Barron, Bob Cunningham & Albert Heath in Paris, 1972:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

JR

Comment

• Joseph K
                              Banned
                              • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post

JR
                              Just getting round to listening to this.

Comment

• Joseph K
                                Banned
                                • Oct 2017

'Cookin at The Plugged Nickel' by the second great quintet of Miles Davis, which also arrived today.

Comment

Working...
                                X